The Sewing Place

Bentwood Cover for Singer 99

Anne Warren

Bentwood Cover for Singer 99
« on: January 16, 2024, 21:59:50 PM »
My first post ever and hope it's a new topic, not something you've all heard a hundred times. 

I bought a Singer 99 handcrank -- very lovely machine in  beautiful condition but the faux-crocodile box is not.  I'd have preferred a bentwood box in any case.  I've noticed a few advertised by a sewing machine parts seller on eBay and asked, since I have the wood tray for the 99 and it's in excellent condition and evidently has openings for a bentwood cover to slot-in, does a 3/4 size bentwood automatically work?  Apparently the seller's never been asked this before and wants photographs of the slots in the tray.  But I can't imagine this proves much.  They're just generic metal slots for something to fit into them.

So thought I'd ask on here since others have probably already made this change on a 99 and know whether you can change to a bentwood cover from the faux crocodile box -- or not.  Anyone have advice on this?  Would I be better off to buy the entire bentwood box -- top and bottom?  Thanks in advance! :sew:
Singer 201K; Singer 221K; Singer 222K; Singer 99 handcrank; Bernina Activa 140; Janome 8077. :)

LeilaMay

Re: Bentwood Cover for Singer 99
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2024, 22:45:29 PM »
There was more than one type of slot I believe - but your best bet is to talk to Helen Howes

https://www.helenhowes-sewingmachines.co.uk/

Lovely lady, very knowledgeable, may well have what you seek.

Best of luck with it
Leila

Anne Warren

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2024, 09:30:54 AM »
Much-appreciated Leila.  Thank you!   :sew:
Singer 201K; Singer 221K; Singer 222K; Singer 99 handcrank; Bernina Activa 140; Janome 8077. :)

Iminei

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2024, 09:38:43 AM »
Remember @Anne Warren  we Love pics .... :pics:
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again