The Sewing Place

New to the forum

The Shrinking Sewist

New to the forum
« on: January 18, 2024, 10:01:23 AM »
Hi all, I found this forum  when I did a search for 'jeans sewalong' as I'm thinking of trying to make a pair, and definitely think that doing it alongside other people might be more fun! I live in West Wales and don't have any local sewing groups.

My name is Tina, and c/o a typo when I tried to register I'm The Shrinking Sewust not The Shrinking Sewist  :laughing:

I'm primarily interested in dressmaking. Having lost a considerable amount of weight and been able to buy ready-to-wear clothes in sensible sizes, my frustration has been growing at how poorly they fit! I have gone from a rtw size 26 down to around an 18, but because I'm slightly larger in the bust than 'standard' I've had real problems with fit.

I've been working on developing my skills from only using wovens to make tent style smocks, to using stretch and more complex garments. I now love makes using french terry and am looking to make my wardrobe almost entirely 'me made'.

I'm 55 and live with my husband in beautiful West Wales. We have two grown-up daughters who no longer live at home, which means I get to use one of their bedrooms as my sewing room.

Looking forward to getting to know you all.

Diane

Re: New to the forum
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2024, 10:07:55 AM »
Hi Tina and welcome to TSP, this is one of the best sewing forums around i'm sure you'll find it really helpful on your sewing journey.

We do love to see :pics: of things that you make  :)
I’m a fabricholic on the road to recovery. Just kidding. I’m on the road to the fabric store.

Janome Memory Craft Horizon 9450QCP, Janome 4300QDC, Overlocker Brother 1034d, Husqvarna Viking Designer Topaz 40

The Shrinking Sewist

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2024, 10:12:13 AM »
Thanks Diane  :)

Is there a specific place to post my makes? Historically I have always shied away from the camera but have been making an effort to record my sewing, even to the point of starting a sewing instagram account!
Tina

Ouryve

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2024, 10:26:28 AM »
Hi, Tina. You would be very welcome to join us in the jeans sewalong thread. The more the merrier! It's not the fastest growing thread but learning to fit clothes well is an ongoing process for most of us, even more experienced dressmakers than us, I think.

Of course, I have sewing room envy. I'm a similar age to you and have a young adult and almost adult children but there is no likelihood of them leaving home any time soon so the dining table and every nook and cranny I can commandeer it is!
Janome M50QDC - "Jane" - Small, cute and hard working. Pfaff Quilt Ambition 630 - "Pfanny" - Pfickle. Bernina L450 - "Bernie" - Very hungry. Bernina 830 Record - "Becky"

Silver Rose

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2024, 10:27:23 AM »
Hello and welcome to TSP Tina,  lots of help and friendly advice to be had here, look forward to seeing your makes.
Still learning

The Shrinking Sewist

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2024, 10:40:04 AM »
Hi, Tina. You would be very welcome to join us in the jeans sewalong thread. The more the merrier! It's not the fastest growing thread but learning to fit clothes well is an ongoing process for most of us, even more experienced dressmakers than us, I think.

Thank you :)  My biggest hurdle will be finding a pattern and fitting to my 'apron tummy', the reason that I have never made trousers apart from pj's for the family at Christmas
Tina

Ouryve

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2024, 10:44:42 AM »
Forgot to add that most of us start our own diary threads to share makes in the needs a new title 2022 diaries folder, though some might start a separate thread about a particular pattern, especially if they need to pick someone's brains about it.

The apron tummy is my main jeans fit issue, too. I've mastered it with looser fitting pants and joggers but it's proving trickier with closer fitting, less forgiving bottoms.
Janome M50QDC - "Jane" - Small, cute and hard working. Pfaff Quilt Ambition 630 - "Pfanny" - Pfickle. Bernina L450 - "Bernie" - Very hungry. Bernina 830 Record - "Becky"

Greybird

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2024, 11:12:35 AM »
Hello and welcome @The Shrinking Sewust !

Iminei

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2024, 11:19:05 AM »
and c/o a typo when I tried to register I'm The Shrinking Sewust not The Shrinking Sewist  :laughing:

Ive kicked the relevant Gremlin up the bum (who gave me his best Bottersnike ears as he doesnt usually get up before 1pm) and got him to change your moniker to a less sausage based one!

Imi
xxx
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Lachica

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2024, 11:29:10 AM »
Welcome @The Shrinking Sewist (which is not yet recognised by the name gremlin). You might want to drop 'the' to help with recognition? We look forward to seeing what you make. You can always chop your head off if you don't want to show your face! West Wales is a beautiful area, are you near to Abakhan for fabric supplies?
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

Iminei

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2024, 11:32:53 AM »
@The Shrinking Sewist  ...

@Lachica ... Yup, the Name Gremlins obviously been booted by the one I woke earlier.
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

The Shrinking Sewist

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2024, 11:40:55 AM »
and c/o a typo when I tried to register I'm The Shrinking Sewust not The Shrinking Sewist  :laughing:

Ive kicked the relevant Gremlin up the bum (who gave me his best Bottersnike ears as he doesnt usually get up before 1pm) and got him to change your moniker to a less sausage based one!

Imi
xxx
  Thank you  :thumb:
Tina

The Shrinking Sewist

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2024, 11:42:34 AM »
Welcome @The Shrinking Sewist (which is not yet recognised by the name gremlin). You might want to drop 'the' to help with recognition? We look forward to seeing what you make. You can always chop your head off if you don't want to show your face! West Wales is a beautiful area, are you near to Abakhan for fabric supplies?

I think Abakhan are 'up north' from here; we are as far south and west as is possible!
Tina

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2024, 11:51:40 AM »
Welcome to TSP Tina.  First of all, well done on the weight loss. 
I’m not surprised you’re finding RTW clothes a poor fit.  They are designed to fit the average person that doesn’t actually exist.  I could go into a lengthy explanation about fit here but I won’t bore you with it.  Suffice to say if you can sew you are better off than many and you join a load of people on here who make their own clothes.  Many for that very  reason.  There are lots of knowledgeable people on here that can help with fit.  Photos are pretty essential for fit help.  Enjoy! :)

Nevis5

« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2024, 12:22:14 PM »
Hello @The Shrinking Sewist   and welcome from me too!   :VV:  Congratulations on the weight loss; that's amazing.   Am still thinking about the jeans sew a long myself; I have pattern, fabric etc but just the inclination now that's missing.  Good luck!  You'll get lots of help here xx