The Sewing Place

Possibly a crazy/impossible alteration?

Bodgeitandscarper

Possibly a crazy/impossible alteration?
« on: January 18, 2024, 14:03:09 PM »
I have a lovely (expensive) Sea Salt rain coat which I do love - but - now I've seen photos of me in it, I realise how huuuuuge it is!!  Unfortunately I think most of this hugeness is across the chest as I'm not the most blessed in that area (everywhere else makes up for it of course!)

So - how to reduce the bust, with the added complication of I think it has sealed seams too.  Would it be possible without loads of de-construction which may be difficult given the seams?  I need to keep the width of the back just to add to the awkwardness.

Starryfish

Re: Possibly a crazy/impossible alteration?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2024, 14:09:36 PM »
I think you would be really brave to attempt that. I suspect it wouldn't be very waterproof afterwards.
There would be a lot of unpicking. Maybe @Sandra could suggest how to proceed?
A day without sewing is a day wasted.

Acorn

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2024, 14:26:23 PM »
I also have a Seasalt coat that is far too big (I usually order a size larger than normal for coats + that size wasn't available in the sale so I went up a size + I now know that Seasalt clothes come up a bit big = massive!)

I don't think mine has sealed seams - it's a Plant Hunter's Coat rather than a raincoat - but I haven't dared seriously contemplate altering it.  I wear it when we go for a walk in the evening when the weather is bad, and it is very cosy!
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Lowena

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2024, 14:38:55 PM »
I've never found Seasalt clothes to come up big. I've stopped buying from them as their stuff is too short and skimpy ( but I am rather well endowed bust wise ). Perhaps I'll have another look  ::thinks::
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2024, 16:33:29 PM »
Right, having tried it on, it really needs about 4" off the front.  I did contemplate just altering the front edges, but that's got a zip and poppers and no doubt all with seam sealing tape - so my next thought is princess seams tapered to the shoulders.

Sandra

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2024, 08:21:57 AM »
 ::thinks::

Difficult to know how to advise you without having you and the coat in front of me. Sealed seams are nasty to mess about with, if that's what you've got.
I suppose if you can see a way of losing the fullness by creating princess seams, and you're happy to do that, then go for it.
If it is properly waterproofed on the fabric back with sealed seams then you will be making a potential problem when you're out in the pouring rain. It's going to be leaky.

Can you buy the tape to re-seal seams on waterproofs? I'm sure someone told me that you can.

Sandra.
xxx

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2024, 09:36:00 AM »
@Sandra yes, I can get seam sealing tape, so that'd be do-able. 
First pic is as it is now, second pic is overlapping the front by about four inches, it makes quite a difference.

Oops, sorry I seem to have lost a pic

This is the "before" pic

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  and the "after"   [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  
« Last Edit: January 19, 2024, 09:49:29 AM by Bodgeitandscarper »

StitchinTime

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2024, 10:29:57 AM »
From the before picture, there looks to be some excess in the back too. How does it look if you were to take it in by 1" or so at the side seams? This may be easier that adding a front princess seam given the location of the pockets.

In answer to your earlier query about sealing the seams, Pennine Outdoor have a selection of products.
https://www.pennineoutdoor.co.uk/haberdashery/seam-seal-tapes-sealants-and-repair-products

Ros

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2024, 11:08:25 AM »
Are you doing that overlap the full length of the coat? Just wondering if trying to take out 2 inches per side between pockets and shoulders will create an odd "bunch" above the pocket. I guess a fish eye dart with sufficient head and tail could smooth it. If you have clips you could play around without damaging the fabric. Then decide whether to adjust or embrace the oversized look, if you don't find the bagginess impractical.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2024, 12:28:57 PM »
How dosa this coat fasten @Bodgeitandscarper ?  Just curious if it’s possible to just add some poppers at the front rather than messing with it.  You can get tape which has to be ironed on and there is also seam sealant which is painted on with a brush.  I used the tape but even that gets messy to use.  You also have to have complete access to the seams so that the tape can be ironed on.

I think I’d agree with @StitchinTime that there is excess in the back as well.  Not sure but the first photo looks as if the front is swinging forward. 

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2024, 13:38:41 PM »
It fastens with a zip and then poppers on the overlap bit, lots of sealed seams so not really practical to try to alter the front edges.

I plan to do the princess seams all the way down the fronts, just tapering to the shoulder seams to avoid messing with those, and I can unpick the lining easily at the hem.

Taking in the sides would be simplest, but unfortunately won't get rid of the excess across the bust.

I think I'll try using clips for the princess seams to get a rough idea.

BrendaP

« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2024, 16:22:57 PM »
Are you happy with the fit of the shoulders?  It looks to me as though the tops of the sleeves are a bit low.  If that is the case then you could take princess seam 'darts' up the front. over the shoulders and down the back.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2024, 17:58:48 PM »
@BrendaP Yeah, the shoulders are a teeny bit off, but that is a sealed seam, so I can't really go across it.

Catllar

« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2024, 13:24:10 PM »
That looks an impressive challenge! Good luck with it!!
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2024, 19:30:11 PM »
Over a week later, and it's still hanging on the back of my sewing room door with a few clips in it - I still can't decide if I'll be able to do a good enough job!  My current plan is to cut off and re-make the front edges... possibly...