The Sewing Place

Help with finding fabrics please - layer cake

Missie

Help with finding fabrics please - layer cake
« on: January 19, 2024, 10:35:53 AM »
Hello oh knowledgeable dark siders.

A friend of mine is about to undergo chemo and I'd like (if I can, you know time and not much of.......) to make her a quilt to snuggle on the sofa with.  I quite like The Simple Stack Quilt as it will be fairly quick and and am thinking of QAYG.  Her favourite colour is pale blue, has anyone come across a layer cake that is primarily pale blue?  I've had a quick look but I can't see anything.  Otherwise, I might just go all out colourful with a pale blue backing.

Thanks for your help.

Ploshkin

Re: Help with finding fabrics please - layer cake
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2024, 15:45:25 PM »
@Missie try looking at Moda.  A lot of their stuff is pastel.  Cotton Patch usually have a lot of Moda and do quite a lot of layer cakes - other brands too
« Last Edit: January 19, 2024, 15:49:11 PM by Ploshkin »
Life's too short for ironing.

Diane

« Last Edit: January 19, 2024, 16:01:22 PM by Diane »
I’m a fabricholic on the road to recovery. Just kidding. I’m on the road to the fabric store.

Janome Memory Craft Horizon 9450QCP, Janome 4300QDC, Overlocker Brother 1034d, Husqvarna Viking Designer Topaz 40

Iminei

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2024, 10:37:11 AM »
Thats a nice easy and effective make @Missie  ...

but you might find 67 1/2"  a bit big to quilt if youre new to quilting ... simple is best I would suggest a serpentine stitch (on the largest stitch width) across the width (54") would look nice. Remembering to restart the stitch when you begin each row.
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Lowena

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2024, 10:57:52 AM »
Yes, Moda do a wide range of pre cuts.
I can recommend the Sewing Studio.
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Missie

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2024, 08:47:36 AM »
Thats a nice easy and effective make @Missie  ...

but you might find 67 1/2"  a bit big to quilt if youre new to quilting ... simple is best I would suggest a serpentine stitch (on the largest stitch width) across the width (54") would look nice. Remembering to restart the stitch when you begin each row.

Thanks @Iminei I'm not going to make it as big as that.  I'm probably going to half - two thirds of the size.  I'll see when I make it up. And it will definitely be simple quilting; possibly just straight lines across.