The Sewing Place

Machine for my Mum

AnthonyExmouth

Machine for my Mum
« on: January 20, 2024, 14:07:49 PM »
Hi all, my mum has been using one of those little John Lewis mini machines for years. I want to buy her something better for her birthday, she used to use my aunts machine so I know she is ok with a bigger machine but she also gets flustered with anything new even though she's ok once shes used it for a while. I now watched far too many youtube reviews and very confused. Most seem to point towards the Singer 4423 or Janome 725s but I'm clueless and not sure if this is overkill for an occasional sewer or a good investment. Both are a little more than I was expecting but I'd rather buy something worthwhile. I've seen the Singer for £280 and the Janome mostly at £380 but one online retailer for £300 but not sure how legit they are. Any and all advice on options for a sub £300 machine would be very welcome, or would a used option be better?

StitchinTime

Re: Machine for my Mum
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2024, 14:38:17 PM »
Hi @AnthonyExmouth and welcome to the forum.

What a lovely idea to get your mum a better sewing machine. You mention that your Mum gets flustered by anything new so rather than try to pick a machine for her, she might like to try a few and see what she likes. Going by your user name, Exeter Sewing Machine Company may not be too far from you. (I’ve found them very good when I’ve ordered threads and other supplies, but I’ve not bought a machine from them.)
https://www.exetersewing.co.uk/

I’m sure other forum members may know of other shops in your area. If you are able to get to a shop, they will be able to go through the features of the machines with your mum. Shops may also have second hand machines that they have taken in as part exchange. These are likely to be serviced and can be good value.

Your mum might be familiar with Singer sewing machines, but the current machines don’t have the same reputation as the older models.

Ouryve

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2024, 14:38:44 PM »
Hi, Anthony. The Janome is a much better bet than the Singer as they are much more sturdily made. If it's GUR where you saw it for £300, that is a legit store.
Janome M50QDC - "Jane" - Small, cute and hard working. Pfaff Quilt Ambition 630 - "Pfanny" - Pfickle. Bernina L450 - "Bernie" - Very hungry. Bernina 830 Record - "Becky"

Helen M

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2024, 14:39:32 PM »
Welcome @AnthonyExmouth! I'm sure I won't be the only one on here saying that of the 2 machines you mention the Janome would be the first choice, mainly because modern Singers are not what the old ones that got the company the reputation it has!

I've had Janomes for 40 years and like them very much. There is a model almost identical to the one you list on John Lewis website Janome 7025  https://www.johnlewis.com/janome-7025-sewing-machine/p231340608. It's the one I recommended for my friend's son and daughter to buy for her a few years ago.

One thing I'd recommend any machine you buy has is a foot pressure adjustment. The J Lewis one has.
Stash Busting 2024 - Goal: 25 metres
So far:  3.0 metres  ------ Donated : 0 metres
Items decluttered: 75

AnthonyExmouth

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2024, 14:48:23 PM »
Hi @AnthonyExmouth and welcome to the forum.

What a lovely idea to get your mum a better sewing machine. You mention that your Mum gets flustered by anything new so rather than try to pick a machine for her, she might like to try a few and see what she likes. Going by your user name, Exeter Sewing Machine Company may not be too far from you. (I’ve found them very good when I’ve ordered threads and other supplies, but I’ve not bought a machine from them.)
https://www.exetersewing.co.uk/

I’m sure other forum members may know of other shops in your area. If you are able to get to a shop, they will be able to go through the features of the machines with your mum. Shops may also have second hand machines that they have taken in as part exchange. These are likely to be serviced and can be good value.

Your mum might be familiar with Singer sewing machines, but the current machines don’t have the same reputation as the older models.

If I asked her to look at some she'd get annoyed and tell me to not spend my money so have to do it without her knowing.

Ivydene

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2024, 14:51:04 PM »
Hi @AnthonyExmouth  I have experience of buying from  Exeter Sewing Machine centre @exetersewing.co.uk having bought a sewing machine and overlocker over the years. They do sometimes have used machines for sale too.  I would encourage visiting the shop and trying a variety of machines but also keep in mind what it will be used for. A lot of money can be spent on features that won’t be used. A local store is also helpful for servicing and repairs. Good luck.

AnthonyExmouth

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2024, 14:51:48 PM »
Hi, Anthony. The Janome is a much better bet than the Singer as they are much more sturdily made. If it's GUR where you saw it for £300, that is a legit store.

yeah, that's where I saw it. Seemed to have good trustpilot score but the lasted review was rather scathing. Didn't name them here because I didn't know what the rules on that were.

Tamnymore

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2024, 15:22:16 PM »
Welcome @AnthonyExmouth . Both the Janome machines would look like good buys. I see both are mechanical machines not electronic ones which I think is good. It doesn't sound like she needs an electronic machine. I have a mechanical Janome - Decor Excel 5024 - it's getting on for 20 years old and it's a real, solid, workhorse which I see John Lewis still sells. The machines discussed here are similar to mine - a little more basic hence cheaper but fine.
A couple of points. A machine with a one step buttonhole stitch is really useful. I think both of these are. More importantly a top loading bobbin which drops in under the needle and is visible through a little transparent window is REALLY useful IMHO. The Janomes are top loading. Not only is it easy to use but you can see whether you are about  to run out of bobbin thread. My Singer machine, which is five or so years  newer than my Janome I use as a backup. However you have to prise off the accessories box then get the bobbin holder out to put a front loading bobbin in via a bobbin holder and you can't see when you are about to run out of thread . What a faff - I would not recommend a front loading bobbin!
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

So Chic

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2024, 16:01:56 PM »
A Janome every time, also perhaps you could arrange for your mother to have a “get to know your machine” class as I think she would find this helpful. 
So Chic
Bernina Artista 630, Bernina 800DL, Janome Cover Pro 1000CP and an elderly Singer Touch & Sew 720G as a back up

Greybird

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2024, 16:28:33 PM »
Also Elna machines - owned by Janome now. I have an Elna Experience 520S which has a good basic range of stitches. I do a lot of dressmaking and soft furnishings and it does everything I want it to. You could also speak to Sewing Machines Direct - they have an excellent reputation and won't sell you more than you want or need. I have bought from them twice, online, and had excellent service.

Acorn

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2024, 16:36:14 PM »
Some very good advice here - if you go for a good retailer you'll cover your back in case of problems, and GUR, John Lewis and Sewing Machines Direct are all good.  There is a bad online retailer, but their name escapes me at the moment - if you mention them someone will say something!  Ebay and private sellers are risky, too.

I have no experience of Janome or (modern) Singer machines, but I have heard many good things about Janome, and a lot of bad ones about modern Singers!

By the way, you are a lovely son!  And I used to live in Exmouth and have very fond memories of it - it's a lovely town.   :thumb:
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

KayK

« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2024, 17:16:23 PM »
Also second the Elna Explore 340 machines - simply because they are mechanical and very robust - I used to teach in a sewing studio, and these were the machines that were used, and boy! did they get a bashing.  They survived the absolute worst of use, are simple to maintain and operate, without being over confusing!

Good luck!
I have learnt by my mistakes: Sewing machines now are Bernina 720, Bernina 1008, Bernina 801 from 1981, Brother overlocker, ancient but works well

HenriettaMaria

« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2024, 11:48:27 AM »
Second top-loading bobbins - those front-loading ones will do her head in if she's not used to them (she might be but I couldn't get on with them).

I have an electronic machine with more stitches than I use but the handy ones that the old '70s Singer didn't have are stretch zig zag (great for reattaching elastic to underwear, say), stretch straight stitch (good for taking up sweat pants), blind hem (good for hemming curtains - subject to the fabric tolerating it); incremental needle position (good for getting close to the edge when piping, especially when used with an adjustable zipper foot).

Will she be using the machine to take up hems on trousers with flat felled seams (eg, jeans), if so, does the machine have enough heft to get through up to nine layers (count 'em) of denim?  Machines around the £100 mark will have nylon chassis that will flex when they encounter challenges like that - my SiL had one that DB bought sight unseen and it didn't last long!

That brings me onto the next point, which is weight.  Sturdy machines have metal chassis but they bring another problem - if your mum is getting on in years she may struggle to lift a machine, particulary if she's showing signs of spinal degeneration (don't ask me how I know  :rant: ) so it might not get much use unless it can be left set up on the work table permanently.

I'd recommend you test-drive some machines and take, eg, multiple layers of denim or canvas to see how the machine copes.  Take some medium-weight fabric and test blind hemming.  Check how heavy they are compared to your mum's current machine.  Check how well it does a straight stitch - you would be amazed how poor some modern machines are at this compared with machines of half a century ago.

AnthonyExmouth

« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2024, 12:24:29 PM »
Second top-loading bobbins - those front-loading ones will do her head in if she's not used to them (she might be but I couldn't get on with them).

I have an electronic machine with more stitches than I use but the handy ones that the old '70s Singer didn't have are stretch zig zag (great for reattaching elastic to underwear, say), stretch straight stitch (good for taking up sweat pants), blind hem (good for hemming curtains - subject to the fabric tolerating it); incremental needle position (good for getting close to the edge when piping, especially when used with an adjustable zipper foot).

Will she be using the machine to take up hems on trousers with flat felled seams (eg, jeans), if so, does the machine have enough heft to get through up to nine layers (count 'em) of denim?  Machines around the £100 mark will have nylon chassis that will flex when they encounter challenges like that - my SiL had one that DB bought sight unseen and it didn't last long!

That brings me onto the next point, which is weight.  Sturdy machines have metal chassis but they bring another problem - if your mum is getting on in years she may struggle to lift a machine, particulary if she's showing signs of spinal degeneration (don't ask me how I know  :rant: ) so it might not get much use unless it can be left set up on the work table permanently.

I'd recommend you test-drive some machines and take, eg, multiple layers of denim or canvas to see how the machine copes.  Take some medium-weight fabric and test blind hemming.  Check how heavy they are compared to your mum's current machine.  Check how well it does a straight stitch - you would be amazed how poor some modern machines are at this compared with machines of half a century ago.

It's really only some cushions and crafting she's doing. Or repairing my work clothes I really should replace but i'm too tight to throw away. I've just rewired and completely renovated her spare box bedroom as a plce for her to look out over the river and also a little craft room so it won't be moved. She makes do with the little mini machine but I know she'd like something more substantial.

Kitten

« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2024, 16:23:10 PM »
Some very good advice here - if you go for a good retailer you'll cover your back in case of problems, and GUR, John Lewis and Sewing Machines Direct are all good.  There is a bad online retailer, but their name escapes me at the moment - if you mention them someone will say something!  Ebay and private sellers are risky, too.

I think @Acorn might be thinking of Coopers.