The Sewing Place

Machine for my Mum

So Chic

Re: Machine for my Mum
« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2024, 09:09:23 AM »
I think you would be better off buying from a local dealer as you will have after-sales service which you don't get if you buy on line or from somewhere like John Lewis or Argos for example.  Perhaps it would be a good idea to take your mother with you when you finally buy a machine so that she can choose.
So Chic
Bernina Artista 630, Bernina 800DL, Janome Cover Pro 1000CP and an elderly Singer Touch & Sew 720G as a back up

Cazlyn

« Reply #31 on: January 23, 2024, 09:45:56 AM »
@AnthonyExmouth what So Chic says makes sense.  I’d take your Mum to the Exeter Sewing Machine Company, it looks like they have lots of machines, different brands, so she can make an informed choice.  I’d phone them up first to see if you need an appointment.
Crafting is my happy place

Lowena

« Reply #32 on: January 23, 2024, 09:59:56 AM »
Anthony has said he wants to surprise his Mum and that she wouldn't want to choose.
I'm with his Mum....I never want to try anything ( car,sewing machine,mattress etc ) as I find it so embarrassing I'd just go to pieces.
If she likes her small machine, why not get the same brand. Just set the budget and buy the one that is best fit.
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Gernella

« Reply #33 on: January 23, 2024, 10:46:44 AM »
Actually @Lowena I've never ever tried a machine either.  Even the first one I bought in a bricks and mortar shop, I chose after going into to buy some thread and saw an assistant using it.  She did offer to show me but I just wanted to pay and go (Janome MC7000). That was a leg up  from a 21st birthday present from my parents, a solid Brother that had two stitches  from memory (I  am going back a long way :laughing:)  The rest have all been bought on line, although I have had conversations with Russell from SMD prior to purchase when I've dithered between two models. 
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Acorn

« Reply #34 on: January 23, 2024, 10:50:18 AM »
I didn't test any of my machines either - I haven't lived anywhere where it was feasible since I took up sewing seriously, and prior to that I was given a machine - my Mum said, 'I've bought a sewing machine.  Would you make me some curtains with it?' followed by 'You might as well keep it at your house now...'*

I've been very happy with all of them though.

* @AnthonyExmouth  It occurs to me that this is an approach you could use with your Mum!
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

AnthonyExmouth

« Reply #35 on: January 23, 2024, 11:00:05 AM »
@AnthonyExmouth what So Chic says makes sense.  I’d take your Mum to the Exeter Sewing Machine Company, it looks like they have lots of machines, different brands, so she can make an informed choice.  I’d phone them up first to see if you need an appointment.

She'd never "allow" me to buy her something like this. She'd get annoyed and tell me I'm wasting my money.

AnthonyExmouth

« Reply #36 on: January 23, 2024, 11:07:15 AM »
Anthony has said he wants to surprise his Mum and that she wouldn't want to choose.
I'm with his Mum....I never want to try anything ( car,sewing machine,mattress etc ) as I find it so embarrassing I'd just go to pieces.
If she likes her small machine, why not get the same brand. Just set the budget and buy the one that is best fit.

She only has a cheap john lewis mini at the moment. Saw her struggling with it before xmas because it has no speed control. I'd have got her one for xmas but already bought her something. Her birthday is in a few weeks. Just placed the order for the ex display Janome 725s on GUR for £299. Seemed like a bargain and something that will not be too complicated for her but will allow her the chance to experiement if she wants.

Lowena

« Reply #37 on: January 23, 2024, 11:38:48 AM »
Great,I'm sure she will love it. I love anything my family buy for me and I'm sure all Mums are similar
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Celia

« Reply #38 on: January 23, 2024, 13:10:10 PM »
That sounds brilliant well done

realale

« Reply #39 on: January 23, 2024, 13:21:48 PM »
I've bought machines from GUR and they have been excellent. A lovely firm to deal with in my experience.

(A few years ago I ordered a certain model of Pfaff that was on special offer, it arrived promptly but when I unpacked it I was surprised to see it was the next model up and should have been about £150 more expensive. I phoned up about it, thinking they'd made an error but I was told they had run out of my model so they sent me this one for the same price. I had a £700 machine for £500. No complaints from me!!  0_0 ).
So many beers, so little time.

Tamnymore

« Reply #40 on: January 23, 2024, 14:09:36 PM »
Well done @AnthonyExmouth . That machine has EXACTLY the functionality I'd look for in a sewing machine and it's a Janome. I think you have quite a bargain there.
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

Greybird

« Reply #41 on: January 23, 2024, 14:18:50 PM »
@AnthonyExmouth I'm sure your Mum will love her machine. I hope you'll give her contact details for The Sewing Place with it!

AnthonyExmouth

« Reply #42 on: January 23, 2024, 15:44:30 PM »
Well done @AnthonyExmouth . That machine has EXACTLY the functionality I'd look for in a sewing machine and it's a Janome. I think you have quite a bargain there.

I hope so, the full price was a little more than I had planned to spend, actually didn't have a clue what I'd be spending when I first thought about buying her one. Even £300 is probably more than I should but I always buy the best tools I can for work and better to have the pain of buying something worthwhile that'll last. It seems to be a fair price £80 discount on an ex display model with the full 2 yr warranty.

Ouryve

« Reply #43 on: January 23, 2024, 15:51:19 PM »
Well, it was good enough for Great British Sewing Bee, @AnthonyExmouth so will be brilliant for your mum and hopefully give her the confidence to try new things.
Janome M50QDC - "Jane" - Small, cute and hard working. Pfaff Quilt Ambition 630 - "Pfanny" - Pfickle. Bernina L450 - "Bernie" - Very hungry. Bernina 830 Record - "Becky"

AnthonyExmouth

« Reply #44 on: January 23, 2024, 15:58:38 PM »
@AnthonyExmouth I'm sure your Mum will love her machine. I hope you'll give her contact details for The Sewing Place with it!
She's not a big internet user so I'll probably be a proxy on here looking for tips. Especially when I ask her to make me some new work smocks. lol.