The Sewing Place

Bodice too big on shop bought dress

Aliz

Bodice too big on shop bought dress
« on: January 23, 2024, 10:32:04 AM »
Hi I sent for a dress in the sales as I loved the material and it fits me well except in the bust area. I'm not very well endowed and if making from scratch know I would have had to adjust the bust. I have never altered a shop bought dress, how easy or hard is it? I still have time to send it back so I am humming and hawing.  It has bust darts from the side but would making these deeper fix the problem?  I could also pull back the side seams at the front but as it has sleeves wonder if this would throw out and skew the sleeves. I used to be on the old forum many moons ago and only just refound you, any advise welcome (even if it's...send it back).

Gernella

Re: Bodice too big on shop bought dress
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2024, 10:36:59 AM »
I have the same problem @Aliz  in fact I have a summer dress I  bought in the sale after the made ones didn't fit because of weight loss.  I've  not started on it yet but your best bet is @Sandra who has rather more knowledge than I have for this type of alteration.
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Iminei

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2024, 10:37:33 AM »
@Sandra  ...
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Missie

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2024, 13:00:11 PM »
Hi Aliz, welcome.

It would be useful if you could post a photo of the dress so that we can advise you better/best.

Sandra

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2024, 17:45:50 PM »
Hello...I've been summoned.  :)

A picture would be really good, as Missie says. Pretty much anything can be altered so it's probably doable.  :thumb:

Sandra.
xxx