The Sewing Place

Biba exhibition at the Fashion Museum

Lachica

Biba exhibition at the Fashion Museum
« on: January 24, 2024, 15:36:10 PM »
https://mailchi.mp/newham/npj8zwo3bx-3097868?e=7c92d6cd08

This exhibition looks great. I remember riding my motorbike from Deepest Darkest Dorset to go to Biba, it must have been around 1973. The most amazing place.
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

Tamnymore

Re: Biba exhibition at the Fashion Museum
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2024, 16:25:38 PM »
Wow in your mis-spent youth @Lachica ! I visited Biba when I was at a Youth Science Fortnight (a different kind of mis-spent youth  :S ) in London in 1972. Didn't have the cash to buy anything sadly!
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

Lachica

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2024, 22:15:06 PM »
Youth Science Fortnight!! I went in (I think) 1973. It was fantastic! (Apart from when it was my turn to present my A level biology project. I followed an American lad whose project was oceanography. His dad was an oceanographer. My dad wasn't).
Mary

Tamnymore

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2024, 22:24:03 PM »
Wow. I've never come across anyone else who went to the Science Fortnight @Lachica . I was only 17 and six of us from Edinburgh schools went down in the train to London. Quite an adventure and of course I got up to quite a bit being let loose in London for the first time at that age. I'm sure you did too. Don't remember any of the science though......

Lachica

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2024, 23:02:05 PM »
@Tamnymore there were 2 of us from my school. I remember a coach to Rolls-Royce in Bristol, the Welcome museum of gruesome bits, which at that time wasn't open to the public, and a fantastic time at Imperial College in an optics lab. We each wore goggles which made everything upside down, we did an experiment timing how long it took for each person to start seeing the right way up again. There were so many activities, it was wonderful to meet youngsters from around the world. There was a big Japanese contingent, who demonstrated a traditional tea ceremony. It was a fabulous opportunity for a working class kid at 17.
Mary

So Chic

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2024, 08:17:42 AM »
A friend bought a red suit from Biba’s first shop in Kensington Church Street and when she had it cleaned it came back two different shades of red.  It put me off buying from Biba but I used to make most of my clothes in those days.
So Chic
Bernina Artista 630, Bernina 800DL, Janome Cover Pro 1000CP and an elderly Singer Touch & Sew 720G as a back up

Nevis5

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2024, 08:50:55 AM »
I'm looking forward to this @Lachica  - it's on my list for 2024.

I only managed to get to Biba once - I think I must have been in my early teens and all I could afford was a Biba biro  :laughing:   I had it for years but don't know where it is now.

Lachica

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2024, 12:18:10 PM »
@Nevis5 I couldn't afford the clothes either - made them instead - but I bought a tin of baked beans. It was years before we ate the contents but I still have the can as a pencil pot, with it's lovely black & gold label. I want to go too, maybe we should coordinate diaries & have a TSP meetup?
Mary

Tamnymore

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2024, 13:04:42 PM »
You have a much better memory than I have @Lachica . I just remember the bottles of sweet Sauternes I consumed with newly made friends and then we left the empties lined up on the window ledge of one of our rooms.  :hic:

But Biba was good!

Lachica

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2024, 13:16:39 PM »
Haha! @Tamnymore I don't remember drinking but I expect we did.
Mary

Kwaaked

« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2024, 16:23:15 PM »
I am hoping this makes it way to Nashville.  We have the Alexander McQueen exhibit coming this summer.

The lady at the Elizabeth Arden counter that taught me to do makeup was a Biba girl back in the day.  I still wear Biba light makeup because of her.

Nevis5

« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2024, 08:28:54 AM »
@Lachica   would love to make it a TSP meet up!  x

Lachica

« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2024, 09:02:16 AM »
Absolutely @Nevis5 . Later I'll make a poll to see how many are interested and potential dates.
Mary

Lachica

« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2024, 11:31:19 AM »
@Nevis5 @toileandtrouble and anyone else! The Biba story at the Fashion museum - possible meet-up. It's on from 22 March to 8 September, Tuesday to Saturday. Full price adult with donation & booking fee is £13.15. There are various concessions though, best check on their booking link.

I won't go on a Saturday, and will avoid school hols so I'd be looking at going after Easter, say last couple of weeks of Easter/beginning May. Does this appeal to anyone else?

Here's the link again
https://mailchi.mp/newham/npj8zwo3bx-3097868?e=7c92d6cd08
Mary

Nevis5

« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2024, 12:03:29 PM »
Thanks, @Lachica   I'm up for any time during the week too.  And dependent on train strikes of course  :headbang: x