The Sewing Place

looking for a pattern

RachelB

looking for a pattern
« on: January 31, 2024, 19:51:17 PM »
Has anyone seen a pattern with bow detail like on this dress?  I have looked and the closest I have found is this pattern.  Do you think I could make the neck of that dress round like the one I want to do a knock off of and still be able to make the bow attach without pulling on the round neck?  Thank you.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2024, 20:06:30 PM by RachelB »

Ohsewsimple

Re: looking for a pattern
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2024, 22:27:00 PM »
I think  the bow on the yellow dress is just slipped inside the folds of the bodice.  Probably stitched somehow to hold it in place.  The bodice is clever pattern cutting. Very much like Japanese cutting. 

RachelB

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2024, 23:13:29 PM »
Thank you.

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2024, 09:28:42 AM »
The vintage sewing pattern just has one 'ear' of the bow and looks to be part of the front of the bodice.
Whereas the Roksanda dress looks like it has one side of the front that wraps over to the opposite shoulder, then the bow is inserted in seam as a separate piece.

I suspect that since it's a designer dress there isn't an actual home sewing pattern for it. If I wanted to make this I'd take some sort of dress with a flared skirt, and separate bodice with princess seams. I'd then experiment with cheap fabric to replace the right and centre panels of the dress with a draped piece (or add it on top) that went up to the shoulder, and then draft a bow that slotted into the upper part of the princess seam.

I've made Simplicity S9473 a few times for a friend. It would be a good base for this treatment.

RachelB

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2024, 16:42:39 PM »
The vintage sewing pattern just has one 'ear' of the bow and looks to be part of the front of the bodice.
Whereas the Roksanda dress looks like it has one side of the front that wraps over to the opposite shoulder, then the bow is inserted in seam as a separate piece.

I suspect that since it's a designer dress there isn't an actual home sewing pattern for it. If I wanted to make this I'd take some sort of dress with a flared skirt, and separate bodice with princess seams. I'd then experiment with cheap fabric to replace the right and centre panels of the dress with a draped piece (or add it on top) that went up to the shoulder, and then draft a bow that slotted into the upper part of the princess seam.

I've made Simplicity S9473 a few times for a friend. It would be a good base for this treatment.

Thank you so much!  That is very helpful. 

Ouryve

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2024, 18:05:23 PM »
There's a few videos out there about adding gathers and fullness and the bit of this one I've watched is very clear and might be useful for you https://youtu.be/b4PO-GzQSdM?si=lymoK-BrrR6f_x2K
Janome M50QDC - "Jane" - Small, cute and hard working. Pfaff Quilt Ambition 630 - "Pfanny" - Pfickle. Bernina L450 - "Bernie" - Very hungry. Bernina 830 Record - "Becky"

RachelB

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2024, 20:42:15 PM »
There's a few videos out there about adding gathers and fullness and the bit of this one I've watched is very clear and might be useful for you https://youtu.be/b4PO-GzQSdM?si=lymoK-BrrR6f_x2K
Thank you so much!  That is a great video.