The Sewing Place

Cutting singularly or double?

realale

Cutting singularly or double?
« on: February 01, 2024, 19:34:58 PM »
I always cut my patterns out on double fabric because that's what I've always done and it's what most pattern layouts tell you to do. However, on one of my rabbit hole research journeys ( :P wasting time on tinternet!!) I read that cutting singularly uses less fabric.  ::thinks::
The only time I have cut out singularly - other than for pattern matching or some specific reason - as far as I can remember, is when I made my bridesmaid dress for Demented Fairy's wedding. I used the calico toile we'd fitted together. I've used that pattern since and used the calico again and from what I remember it was a breeze to cut out.
But I can't remember if it was a more economical use of fabric or not. So before I trace off my next pattern what are your thoughts on this?
So many beers, so little time.

Mamashep

Re: Cutting singularly or double?
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2024, 19:42:01 PM »
I sometimes cut some parts double, then open up the fabric and cut others singly, if I think that will work better. It all depends on the fabric and pattern.

Ouryve

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2024, 19:48:22 PM »
It’s much more economical on fabric, particularly when the fabric doesn’t have a nap so you can rotate pieces to nestle in with each other. It often means that I can squeeze something that needs a little more than, say, 1.5m out of what turns out to be barely 1.5m, after washing.
Janome M50QDC - "Jane" - Small, cute and hard working. Pfaff Quilt Ambition 630 - "Pfanny" - Pfickle. Bernina L450 - "Bernie" - Very hungry. Bernina 830 Record - "Becky"

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2024, 23:00:49 PM »
Yea I can sometimes get a pattern out of fabric if cut singly after I’ve tried to do it double and failed.
It’s a bit time consuming and you must be careful to turn the pattern over or make sure the fabric is the opposite way up as I did the other day. 

Missie

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2024, 08:11:13 AM »
I never follow that pattern layouts anyway as they are definitely not economical and I can usually knock around half a meter off the recommended meterage.  I generally cut double, sometimes folding the fabric so that I have 2 folded edges with the selveges running up the middle, but if I have a pattern piece that can be cut singly, I will fit it in and around the doubled fabric and cut out after.  But generally, I wouldn't choose to cut singularly as I would get the pattern pieces the wrong way round!

BrendaP

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2024, 10:21:27 AM »
I do all the things @Missie says.  Cutting singularly only happens if the fabric is very slippy, pattern matching needs to be precise or something is cut on the bias
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Starryfish

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2024, 17:31:18 PM »
I always cut shirt fronts singly, as well as anything that requires pattern matching. I find it very hard to fold fabric evenly especially jersey, so one half may be off grain.
A day without sewing is a day wasted.

CCL

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2024, 20:39:30 PM »
@Starryfish  - I have trouble with grain on knits, also.   I have taken to running a bastingstitch down one of the ribs to help me keep everything aligned.
A hodge podge Flickr record of my sewing project albums here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/104062052@N04/albums

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2024, 09:54:26 AM »
I've just done the "fold but only as wide as the pattern pieces", and I've used 2 metres of fabric instead of the 2.8m suggested - and I've added a hood instead of the collar.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2024, 11:56:27 AM »
The beauty of jersey is that it’s quite forgiving.  So slightly offgrain might not be too noticeable. 
However I do use my magnifying glass to do a bit of a check along any fold.   :laughing: