The Sewing Place

Brother CV3440 coverstitch

Lilian

Brother CV3440 coverstitch
« on: February 04, 2024, 12:07:32 PM »
Has anybody used this machine?  I have the opportunity to buy a used one locally for £300 ono.  Would that be a good price?  Apparently, it is about 2 years old and only been used half a dozen times.

Your thoughts would be helpful  -<
Willing but not always able :)

Ohsewsimple

Re: Brother CV3440 coverstitch
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2024, 12:26:20 PM »
My first thought is why has it only been used a few times as it’s 2 years old?  Maybe genuine lack of need, space etc.  But if they found it difficult to get on with that’s a different matter. 
I’ve not used one of these myself but seen the stitching it does. 
Is there any way you could try it if it’s local?   

Lilian

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2024, 12:30:05 PM »
Thanks @Ohsewsimple I will be in that area on Wednesday, and I'm sure she will let me see it in action or test it.  She sounds genuine.  I have never used a coverstitch so it will be new to me.  I don't know what I should look out for.

The price new is £599 so it would be half-price unless I can knock the price down.

Kad

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2024, 12:52:21 PM »
I've had the 5 thread version of this machine for a few years now and had no problems with it at all. I went out to buy a Janome one, but the Brother came with the clear foot, (optional extra for Janome) and uses standard sewing machine needles, ( the Janome uses 'overlocker' needles) so I was persuaded.

As for not being used much in 2 years, it may be that the original owner hasn't sewn as much jersey/stretch fabric as she'd envisaged that she would.
'Jill' of many aspects of sewing, "Mistress" of few.

Starryfish

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2024, 12:58:28 PM »
Coverstitchers-  when they are good they are very very good and when they are bad they are horrid.
Sorry for the flippancy, I had a Janome one and I didn't like it's inconsistent results.

So this year I bought a Brother CV3550. On woven fabrics it is superb, but is very picky about jersey. Unfortunately jersey is practically the only thing I use it for, hemming T shirts! I have come to the conclusion that washaway stabiliser under the fabric is the only way for good results on thinner jersey. Even so I have to test each time, if it decides to eat the fabric that means time spent taking the foot off and poking about to get it out.

I would take some fabric along to try out. They are nice machines but harder to learn than overlockers or sewing machines. What do you want to use it for? Twin seams on jeans, hemming T shirts or sewing athleisure?
A day without sewing is a day wasted.

Lilian

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2024, 12:59:19 PM »
Thank you @Kad I have just asked some questions and this is her reply

"Hi. I’ve had it almost 5 years. I run sewing retreats and bought it for that but no one’s wanted to borrow it, so I’ve used it myself a few times but it’s just taking up space.

There aren’t any accessories apart from a flimsy cover."

Sounds ok to me.  I might try to get the price down.

Lilian

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2024, 13:02:56 PM »
Coverstitchers-  when they are good they are very very good and when they are bad they are horrid.
Sorry for the flippancy, I had a Janome one and I didn't like it's inconsistent results.

So this year I bought a Brother CV3550. On woven fabrics it is superb, but is very picky about jersey. Unfortunately jersey is practically the only thing I use it for, hemming T shirts! I have come to the conclusion that washaway stabiliser under the fabric is the only way for good results on thinner jersey. Even so I have to test each time, if it decides to eat the fabric that means time spent taking the foot off and poking about to get it out.

I would take some fabric along to try out. They are nice machines but harder to learn than overlockers or sewing machines. What do you want to use it for? Twin seams on jeans, hemming T shirts or sewing athleisure?

I don't sew much stretch fabric but would like to. I am hoping to use it for some decoration and mainly on woven fabric.  I wonder if fine tissue paper would work underneath for jersey fabric?

Elnnina

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2024, 14:14:51 PM »
Oh good luck with this Lilian, and if you indulge then I hope you have lots of fun with this machine.  I believe there is a knack to easing out the thread a little from the needle before pulling the fabric away after stitching otherwise the chain stitch effect on the underneath starts to unravel very fast.  Look forward to hearing that this machine has found a new home and an enthusiastic new owner.

Kad

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2024, 14:38:43 PM »
Mine's the CV3550, and I've only ever used it on knits, the only thing I found is necessary is that I tack up the hens with the tacking about 3/8” away from the intended hemming line. That, and cautious tweaking of the looper fine adjustment lever is all I've needed to do .

It should come with:
Bent nose tweasers, small hexagon ended screwdriver to change the needles, thread nets, small brush etc as in photo.
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

The only other thing I've bought is a book that I've found really useful.

« Last Edit: February 04, 2024, 14:42:51 PM by Kad »
'Jill' of many aspects of sewing, "Mistress" of few.

Lilian

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2024, 15:58:20 PM »
Thank you @Kad That is very informative.  I will ask if she has them  0_0
  • Kad likes this

Starryfish

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2024, 16:23:19 PM »
@Lilian , tissue paper may well work but then there is the bother of getting all of it out from the stitching.
A day without sewing is a day wasted.

Lilian

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2024, 18:20:43 PM »
Oh good luck with this Lilian, and if you indulge then I hope you have lots of fun with this machine.  I believe there is a knack to easing out the thread a little from the needle before pulling the fabric away after stitching otherwise the chain stitch effect on the underneath starts to unravel very fast.  Look forward to hearing that this machine has found a new home and an enthusiastic new owner.

I have decided I would like this machine and if it is in good order I might make an offer. :)

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2024, 23:03:25 PM »
@Lilian a coverstitch machine can be used on all fabrics. It’s not just for hemming jersey.  :)  It can be used for decorative work as well as functional.  I like to use the 3 thread hem on trousers sometimes.   It gives them a bit of body and shape.  The chain stitch can be used for tacking and is quick to take out.  But it’s also lovely for decorative work using variegated threads.  And of course the coverstitch can be used upside down as often seen on RTW. 

Ploshkin

« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2024, 08:19:59 AM »
Use wash away wonder tape for turning up hems on jersey.  This gives a nice, stable edge to coverstitch.  I use a t shirt pattern with a curved hem and it works really well.  As described, the tape washes away so you lose the slight stiffness in the hem.
Life's too short for ironing.

Lilian

« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2024, 23:52:38 PM »
Mine's the CV3550, and I've only ever used it on knits, the only thing I found is necessary is that I tack up the hens with the tacking about 3/8” away from the intended hemming line. That, and cautious tweaking of the looper fine adjustment lever is all I've needed to do .

It should come with:
Bent nose tweasers, small hexagon ended screwdriver to change the needles, thread nets, small brush etc as in photo.

The only other thing I've bought is a book that I've found really useful.

I have asked about all on this list. She has it all except the tweezers. I have tweezers with my over locker.

Thank you for your helpful information ☺️