The Sewing Place

Ideas of what to sew with this stretchy sheer fabric

SewRuthieSews

Ideas of what to sew with this stretchy sheer fabric
« on: February 13, 2024, 12:24:36 PM »
Hi folks, I have 3 metres of this semi sheer mesh stretch fabric with a bright print. As its a bit sheer whatever I make would need at least a partial lining.
I've had it in stash for several years and always put it back because I'm not quite sure what to do with it.

Option 1 - a dress, not that I wear them much
Option 2 - a poloneck top and sheer cardiwrap thingy - more the sort of thing I actually wear

« Last Edit: February 13, 2024, 13:54:49 PM by SewRuthieSews »

Greybird

Re: Ideas of what to sew with this fabric
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2024, 12:44:42 PM »
Top(s). A dress in a lightweight fabric would only ever get worn very occasionally - unless of course your social calendar for this year demands such a thing.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2024, 12:45:15 PM »
Ooh that goes with everything you’ve been making recently.  :thumb:
I could see a long kimono style jacket.  A blouse or top with sheer sleeves and a nice quality lining.
Kaftan style too with lining.  If it’s stretchy you could incorporate it into a cardigan with other knits fabrics.  In Knits for Real People they incorporate stretchy mesh into tops and cardigans. 

Celia

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2024, 12:50:17 PM »
No ideas but a lovely material  :loveit:

Diane

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2024, 13:24:18 PM »
@SewRuthieSews You could make a blouse and use this sheer fabric for the sleeves
I’m a fabricholic on the road to recovery. Just kidding. I’m on the road to the fabric store.

Janome Memory Craft Horizon 9450QCP, Janome 4300QDC, Overlocker Brother 1034d, Husqvarna Viking Designer Topaz 40

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2024, 13:28:10 PM »
Oh yes forgot to say, as its mesh its a stretchy knit fabric but also a bit see through, so any lining would need to be stretchy too. Its very thin.

@Greybird my social calendar does not require dresses , though I could wear them if I chose, but mostly I don't.

SewRuthieSews

Re: Ideas of what to sew with this stretchy sheer fabric
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2024, 13:56:13 PM »
A quick visit to the fabric boxes in the garage produced white or beige knit which could be used as a knit lining. The beige is fairly close to my skin tone so could work well.

BrendaP

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2024, 16:57:04 PM »

Option 1 - a dress, not that I wear them much
Option 2 - a poloneck top and sheer cardiwrap thingy - more the sort of thing I actually wear

You have answered your own question - a top and a cardi-wrap thingie.

A lot of RTW tops in see throrugh fabrics come with toning or neutral camisole tops to wear underneath - presumably cheaper than making a lining, but if you are making a top and a cardi you could line the top but not the cardi.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

William

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2024, 19:49:24 PM »
IMHO i see a sleeveless dress with a high (turtleneck) collar.
...it was a Hobbit hole, and that meant comfort.

Missie

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2024, 19:55:54 PM »
I'd make a long-sleeved t-shirt type top and wear a camisole underneath.

Catllar

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2024, 13:34:09 PM »
I think you should send it to me for safe keeping! It's lovely!!!
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !