The Sewing Place

The Official Scrap Quilt Sewalong 2024

SewRuthieSews

The Official Scrap Quilt Sewalong 2024
« on: February 14, 2024, 08:22:09 AM »
As there seemed enough interest, we are going to have an Official Scrap Quilt Sew Along.

I'm more of a lightsider (clothing sewist), so I'm going to need help from the experienced darksiders (quilters) when questions arise.

As its a Sew Along there are fewer constraints than a contest, but there are some guidelines so here goes
- sew a quilt of any size using mostly scraps from your own stash (or perhaps from a friend)
- there is no specific timeline but aim to complete within 2024
- use any style or pattern that appeals to you, so crazy quilts, repeated blocks, multi colour etc are all OK

If you need scraps in a particular colourway you may ask if another TSPer has scraps they wish to donate. Compensation for P&P only please. Arrange via PM.

Let the sorting of fabric scraps commence!

Sheilago

Re: The Official Scrap Quilt Sewalong 2024
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2024, 08:47:22 AM »
Excellent and we have plenty of time to finish it. I’m off to look at my Pinterest page to see if I’ve got any scrappy quilt ideas already stored there  :D
Most of the baby quilts that I make are scrappy as I think it gives the child lots to look at, but I like to keep trying new designs.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2024, 08:50:35 AM by Sheilago »

Sandra

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2024, 08:54:48 AM »
I'd love to be able to say that I'm going to join in with this, and I've got until the end of the year! Yay!...surely that's enough time  ::thinks::

I'll have to see how it goes with moving home and if inspiration strikes. I've certainly got loads of scraps.

Sandra.
xxx

Iminei

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2024, 08:57:15 AM »

EXCELLENT ....

And you know who has the most scraps dont you ???
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

StitchinTime

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2024, 10:39:52 AM »
I'll probably join in with this as I was planning on making at least one scrappy quilt for Project Linus.

At the monthly quilt group last year, we made a Scrappy Happy Rails quilt for the Siblings Together charity and thought it would be a good pattern to use for my scraps. We made the 12" blocks, but I might go for 9" blocks which this blogger has used.

Although the centre panels are all the same, two thirds of the quilt will be scraps.

BrendaP

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2024, 10:47:35 AM »
I've been thinking about this - it might be what helps me to find the sewing mojo again.  I need someting that's creative but not too challenging.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Lowena

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2024, 11:05:36 AM »
Whoopie! The more the merrier, the Darkside needs a big boost.
Rail fence, Square in a box, Courtyard steps, Friendship star are all scrap friendly blocks.
I'll probably make mine for Project Linus.
Triumph of hope over experience :D

realale

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2024, 12:47:15 PM »
I may just be inspired to join in.
I have a Craftsy class called The Scrappy Market Tote where she teaches how to strip piece, crumb piece, scrappy log cabins and how to use left overs and orphan blocks. I also watched a Just Get it Done Quilts video where she used strips of till receipts to get consistent strips. By combining them all I should get something achieved by December - ever hopeful  :D
(I didn't say which December  :laughing: :laughing:)
So many beers, so little time.

Sheilago

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2024, 14:12:45 PM »
I’ve just found a few scrap blocks that I made ages ago, to reduce my scrap stash. I might make a few more and do a string quilt as shown in this picture   [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

I’ve got a few ideas now for a baby quilt too - just have to decide which design I like best. ::thinks::

Ellabella

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2024, 14:29:32 PM »
If I have too rigid a plan or have to make too many choices I can get a bit strangled and then it stops being fun.

My only criterion is that I am not going to buy anything but wadding.

I have lots of pieces of curtain lining in various sizes and am going to string piece on them and then we will see what develops.

I have lots of scraps and remainders of jelly rolls, I intend to clear a big plastic box, chuck everything in and take it from there.  :rolleyes:

Deafoldbat

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2024, 19:27:36 PM »
I have lots of scraps and remainders of jelly rolls, I intend to clear a big plastic box, chuck everything in and take it from there.

@Ellabella That sounds like an excellent plan!

This is what happens when you do that

Deafoldbat

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2024, 19:30:12 PM »
If anyone is interested in swapping/acquiring scraps, despite my recent efforts I still have a box of bits, and I'm getting sick of the sight of them. Mostly strips, some triangles and squares , a couple of larger pieces and some orphan blocks. Any takers?

Iminei

« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2024, 09:14:24 AM »
@Deafoldbat  ... How did you make that beauty ???

In strips or blocks ?

BrendaP

« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2024, 10:43:19 AM »
This is my pattern
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Using an 8.5 inch square ruler (as was used in the video and which I happen to have) it will be single bed size.
Doing it 'wonky' is so easy, just plonk the ruler on and cut, no careful positioning, and any length that's 9 inches or longer.  The bigger cut off bits will go into the crumb blocks.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  
Yesterday I cut a bunch of strips from stash - I'm with Ellabella in not buying anything other than maybe wadding.
The plan in mostly blues/greens with a few bits of pink for the rail fence and mostly pinks for the crumb blocks.  There will probably be white/cream borders between the sections which will need a bit of juggling on sizes of a few blocks - but it will be wonky so not a problem!
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Iminei

« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2024, 11:06:48 AM »
I might be in on this but I do have the Scrapmageddon if anyones interested