The Sewing Place

Ideas for scrap quilt designs

SewRuthieSews

Ideas for scrap quilt designs
« on: February 14, 2024, 08:26:23 AM »
What are good ways to make quilts from scraps? I'd love to hear your ideas. We can then use that as a resource for the
The Official Scrap Quilt Sewalong

SewRuthieSews

Re: Ideas for scrap quilt designs
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2024, 08:29:33 AM »
OK here's an idea, which I am thinking I might try to do. I know video format is not to everyone's taste, so I'll try to dig out some other ideas as well. Please share any ideas you have as it might help inspire our lovely TSP friends

Scrappy Sunshine Mystery Quilt 2024 - YouTube sew along hosted by Laura at Sew Very Easy.
Finished Quilt 72” Sq
This quilt is not going to be a different block each month. You will be making different components for the quilt each month. The last few months we will put these pieces all together and quilt it.
You can use up scrap fabric or make it a three-color quilt. We will be cutting all the fabric in the first month.
Cut out the attached tabs and keep them with your fabric pieces.
These are the dates for the videos so that you can follow along. https://www.youtube.com/SewVeryEasy
Jan 9 - Month One - getting ready.
Feb 8, March 12, April 9, May 7, June 11, July 9, Aug 8, Sept 12, Oct 8, and Nov 12, we will quilt it! … P.S. There is a small Bonus Quilt in Dec

Fabric requirements
White Background Fabric approx. 3 ½ yds - she uses several 'white' fabrics
Medium and Dark Prints approx. 2 ½ yds - she uses loads of different scraps, but no yellow
One Contrast Fabric approx. ¾ yds - she uses a yellow fabric to add cohesion (and bring the 'sunshine' to the quilt)
Binding 1yd.

This is the first video Jan 9 - Month One
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KaaP3y6yWmg
In this video she describes how to choose and cut your pieces.

Here is the Feb 8th video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4r46XzhdSTY&t=300s
In this video she describes using 144 2 1/2 inch squares in white and 144 2 1/2 inch squares in prints to make 4 patch blocks.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2024, 18:18:04 PM by SewRuthieSews »

Pearl

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2024, 10:28:32 AM »
I can’t view the second video, @SewRuthieSews .

Bonnie Hunter is the queen of scrappy quilts so there are a gazillion ideas and some free patterns on her website https://quiltville.com/index.html. ETA She also has a YouTube channel, @Lowena .

I’m going to dig out my Arkansas Crossroads and use scraps but in a limited number of colours. 
« Last Edit: February 14, 2024, 10:30:10 AM by Pearl »

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2024, 11:17:20 AM »
@Pearl  link updated above thanks for alerting me

All ideas welcome

BrendaP

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2024, 11:30:52 AM »
I've been getting quite pally Google and YouTube looking for ideas.

At the moment I'm thinking of wonky rail fence with a border of crumb blocks.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Ellabella

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2024, 11:41:49 AM »
Design?  I think mine is more going to evolve :rolleyes:

Lowena

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2024, 11:51:40 AM »
Good for you @Ellabella I wish I could be creative. I have to follow a written pattern, recipe, instructions step by step and not deviate at all  :embarrassed:
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Flobear

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2024, 12:14:12 PM »
I'm rather like that too @Lowena - and I have a inbuilt liking for geometry and symmetry - which is why I've booked myself a day at Sew Forest of Dean in mid-March. It's called 'Improvisational Quilt Sampler' and I intend to be duly inspired!

Proud new owner of Elvistoo !!

StitchinTime

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2024, 12:17:05 PM »
I've posted this pattern on the sewalong thread and will be making a Scrappy Happy Rails quilt. The original pattern uses 12" blocks, but I might go for 9" blocks which this blogger has used.

Lowena

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2024, 12:46:34 PM »
Ooh, @Flobear that sounds interesting. I'll look forward to the feedback and results  :thumb:
Triumph of hope over experience :D

realale

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2024, 12:59:54 PM »
Thisis an excellent QAYG tutorial from Just Get it Done Quilts. She explains how to do each step and is very clear and down to earth.
She shows different ways to arrange your blocks so some good design ideas are there.

And This one is where she uses till rolls to make strips. I have a huge roll of 2" interfacing that I could use for this..... ::thinks::
« Last Edit: February 14, 2024, 13:09:00 PM by realale »
So many beers, so little time.

Celia

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2024, 16:02:25 PM »
@BrendaP i really like that rail fence one, don’t think I have enough scraps but I think I might give that a try with what I have and I might try to improvise by using old clothes etc.

I love the idea of making something out of nothing

Sara-S

« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2024, 01:32:30 AM »
If you have scrap pieces you can cut into squares, a 4-patch or 9-patch design could work.
You can't scare me. I taught high school for 32 years.

Iminei

« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2024, 07:37:20 AM »
@BrendaP I really like that rail fence one, don’t think I have enough scraps

You called ?????   :laughing:
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

BrendaP

« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2024, 08:59:24 AM »
@BrendaP I really like that rail fence one, don’t think I have enough scraps

You called ?????   :laughing:
@Iminei
It's @Celia who's not sure about having enough scraps.  I definitely do have plenty of them!
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.