The Sewing Place

Ideas for scrap quilt designs

Sheilago

Re: Ideas for scrap quilt designs
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2024, 10:30:32 AM »
@BrendaP i really like that rail fence one, don’t think I have enough scraps but I think I might give that a try with what I have and I might try to improvise by using old clothes etc.

I love the idea of making something out of nothing

Remember your local charity shop, if you have one. The one I work in often has bits and pieces of quilting fabric or you can use pure cotton clothes that you find there.

Cazlyn

« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2024, 12:26:46 PM »
Like @Ellabella I have no plan, it will just be sew scraps together…
Crafting is my happy place

Kad

« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2024, 14:09:00 PM »
When I made 2 scrap quilts last year, I chose 1     
x 12" block and 2 different  9" blocks for the darker quilt and 1 x 12" block and 2 different 8" blocks for the pale one. This meant that I could cut my dark scraps into 7 ¹/² " squares to be further cut for   the patches for both the 12" & 9" block. The lighter scraps were all cut into 6" squares for both the 12" & 8" blocks. The completed blocks were then placed together with orphan patches filling any gaps.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2024, 15:08:52 PM by Kad »
'Jill' of many aspects of sewing, "Mistress" of few.

WildAtlanticWay

« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2024, 11:33:42 AM »
Bonnie Hunter is the queen of scrappy quilts so there are a gazillion ideas and some free patterns on her website https://quiltville.com/index.html. ETA She also has a YouTube channel, @Lowena .

Really interesting website. Thank you for posting the link.

Looks like she’s involved/organised a group tour to Ireland this summer from the States. It’s a shame they didn’t liaise with the Irish Patchwork Society and take in a quilting exhibition or two…😊

Bjay

« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2024, 14:10:00 PM »
Messing around try8ng to find a design that will use up my scraps.
The original one I was going to use just isn't suited to the fabric scraps i have.

Just waded thru some KF books, loads of ideas but again non suitable.
Now thinking I may just make some blocks and put them together very scrappjly ::thinks::
Trying to find my way on the Dark side

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2024, 14:47:31 PM »
It is tricky isn't it.

The pattern I'm using has quite a chunk of one fabric to tie things together, then uses scraps of whites for the lights and medium/dark prints as contrast.
I went through my scraps and sorted them by colour. The drilled down the medium/dark print to ones that are mostly pink/purple/blue, then decided I have more creams than whites so I'm using those. Then I had to find something where I had at least 3/4 yard of the same fabric to bring things together.

I guess we can judge if its been a successful process when I've finished the quilt later in the year!

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2024, 20:51:36 PM »
https://youtu.be/6ywAWCxvWlk?si=wPrN93kn5rNh_bNE

This is the link to part 3 of the scrappy sunshine quilt on youtube