The Sewing Place

Fabric advice

Pearl

Fabric advice
« on: February 19, 2024, 14:39:30 PM »
I’ve booked a workshop to make McCalls M7324 in March.  I’ll be buying online as our local fabric shop has closed down.  Please could you advise me on what is meant by “lightweight cotton?”  Are there any keywords I should look for?

TIA

Ouryve

Re: Fabric advice
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2024, 14:48:34 PM »
That would primarily be cotton lawn. Cotton voile if you're planning on wearing it over something.
Janome M50QDC - "Jane" - Small, cute and hard working. Pfaff Quilt Ambition 630 - "Pfanny" - Pfickle. Bernina L450 - "Bernie" - Very hungry. Bernina 830 Record - "Becky"

Pearl

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2024, 14:51:51 PM »
Thanks, @Ouryve .

Tamnymore

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2024, 16:23:05 PM »
Nice pattern. A Liberty tana lawn would be lovely for this @Pearl if you can track down some at sale prices somewhere but Liberty always seems to come at a bit of a premium. Simple life fabric has some lovely Nerida Hansen lawns here

I've bought from this shop several times. They are excellent.
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2024, 16:56:52 PM »
@Tamnymore never heard of these.   What’s the quality like compared to Liberty? 

Tamnymore

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2024, 19:21:31 PM »
I have to admit I haven't seen these particular lawns in the flesh as it were but everything I have had from simple life fabric has been absolutely super so I expect these to be good too. I would expect them to be as nice as Liberty. Sorry not to be more specific.

Standfast and Barracks used to print Liberty lawn before printing went to Italy. S&B now.
print their own lawns which are every bit as nice as Liberty. Their lawns can be found on eBay with the seller name  katsfabrics .

Pearl

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2024, 21:19:25 PM »
Thanks, @Tamnymore , that’s just the kind of advise I need - buy this from here.   :laughing:

Kwaaked

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2024, 06:54:18 AM »
The pattern says:

Designed for lightweight to medium-weight woven fabrics.
FABRICS: Crepe de Chine, Gauze, Georgette, Challis.

Hope that gives you an idea of weight.

Lachica

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2024, 07:45:08 AM »
Cotton lawn might be too stiff for this pattern. The recommended fabrics (thanks @Kwaaked) are all drapery.
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

Ploshkin

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2024, 10:00:10 AM »
Cotton lawn isn't usually st all stiff.  I've used cotton lawn for a very similar pattern and it works just fine.
Life's too short for ironing.

Ouryve

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2024, 10:52:12 AM »
High thread count cotton lawn like the liberty lawn mentioned has a lovely amount of drape for patterns like this. It's fuller than some viscose would be but a very nice option for people wanting natural fibres.

Interesting the one negative review of it on pattern review was someone who used quilting g cotton. Doomed to fail from the start, that one.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2024, 10:56:38 AM by Ouryve »
Janome M50QDC - "Jane" - Small, cute and hard working. Pfaff Quilt Ambition 630 - "Pfanny" - Pfickle. Bernina L450 - "Bernie" - Very hungry. Bernina 830 Record - "Becky"

Tamnymore

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2024, 16:28:57 PM »
In my stash I have some lovely lawns - mainly Liberty or Standfast and Barracks own brand which are quite soft and drapey. And I've just got hold of some fabulous Sholto Drumlanrig lawn and it's lovely and soft. Sholto Drumlanrig - now there's a name you don't forget easily! He designs for Liberty, Boden etc and does his own range of fabrics for Dashwood.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2024, 16:31:30 PM by Tamnymore »

Pearl

« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2024, 19:37:35 PM »

Acorn

« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2024, 19:41:41 PM »
Ooh, that is so pretty!   :loveit:
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

William

« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2024, 19:45:17 PM »
Pretty Fabric!
...it was a Hobbit hole, and that meant comfort.