The Sewing Place

Smallish good sewing machines ideas

Celia

Smallish good sewing machines ideas
« on: February 20, 2024, 12:47:36 PM »
I am looking to buy a smallish but good sewing machine

I love my Janome HD9 but it is straight stitch only and is definitely not portable. As I have sold my lovely Bernina 570 to @Bill I have a gap and also some money.

Do any of you have machines that you love and can suggest, I am happy with a normal sized machine but not too heavy.
I think I would look at a Janome but am worried about the differences in the models, I know some of the cheap ones are not good and I’m not sure when they get better.
I love the small Bernina 3 series  but they are expensive for what you get.

Suggestions please

Helen M

Re: Smallish good sewing machines ideas
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2024, 13:02:50 PM »
If you are looking for a mechanical one @Celia I'd say this one is good. It's been around under various names for many years.

https://www.johnlewis.com/janome-excel-decor-5024-sewing-machine/p231340607

I have the 18 stitch version and I've seen them described as workhorses by several people.
Stash Busting 2024 - Goal: 25 metres
So far:  3.0 metres  ------ Donated : 0 metres
Items decluttered: 75

Gernella

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2024, 13:15:11 PM »
I nearly bought a Janome, @Celia just for the G foot on it, like I had on my old MC7000, which did a perfect hemming stitch always in the right place.  I've always considered that Janome are good value machines that you don't have trouble with, plus they have a wide range of models to suit your needs and circumstances.
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Ouryve

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2024, 13:23:33 PM »
If. I was looking for mechanical I would go the for models that @Helen M suggested but if you want something computerised you can't go wrong with anything in the £500+ bracket. I really enjoy using Jane, her menu is simple and she's easy to use. I can carry her with one hand - I need two for Pfanny. Or have a. Look at the ones they use on Sewing Bee, the 5060qdc.
Janome M50QDC - "Jane" - Small, cute and hard working. Pfaff Quilt Ambition 630 - "Pfanny" - Pfickle. Bernina L450 - "Bernie" - Very hungry. Bernina 830 Record - "Becky"

Celia

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2024, 13:27:32 PM »
Just an extra I am looking at computerised mainly for needle up needle down option etc. off to browse the internet for your suggestions. Thanks

Bill

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2024, 13:32:51 PM »
Every machine I've had since my brother A150 has been a quilting/long arm machine and if memory serves, that was about the only real reason I sold it. More space. Other than newbie issues, I can't recall having any problems with it.
Bernina 570QE (Bernie)     1937 Singer 201k (sally)
The best advice I can give you, is don't take advice from me
Don't follow me, I do stupid things

Greybird

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2024, 13:49:26 PM »
I have an Elna 520s which I am very happy with. Needle up/down included.

WildAtlanticWay

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2024, 14:35:30 PM »
I bought my Brother Innovis A65 sewing machine for taking to my sewing group. It’s the newer advanced version of the A60 special edition. (£499)
It’s light enough to carry and has speed slider, needle up/down, probably the best automatic needle threader on the market, auto thread cutter and tie off function. I absolutely love it.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

coffeeandcake

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2024, 16:01:58 PM »
The Pfaff Passport 2 is nice and lightweight @ 6.3kg. 

Tamnymore

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2024, 17:05:47 PM »
The Janome 5024 is the machine I have @Helen M so you've read my mind. It's not a new machine and it's not a small machine but it's really solid and reliable. I replaced the footpedal with a new one a few years ago from Bambers but apart from that it's been completely reliable. I must have got it maybe 15 years ago. As you say it's mechanical - which I like. It does a nice single step buttonhole, the bobbin is top loading and it has a load of those lovely stitches you never use.

If a meteorite landed on my 5024 today I'd be off to John Lewis immediately to get the exact same machine.. then I'd repair the meteorite damage to the roof.
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

Sara-S

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2024, 17:28:36 PM »
I bought my Brother Innovis A65 sewing machine for taking to my sewing group. It’s the newer advanced version of the A60 special edition. (£499)
It’s light enough to carry and has speed slider, needle up/down, probably the best automatic needle threader on the market, auto thread cutter and tie off function. I absolutely love it.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

I have the Brother NS80E, which looks like it’s the American version of this.  I also use it to take to classes & workshops.
You can't scare me. I taught high school for 32 years.

Celia

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2024, 17:40:36 PM »
I have had a lovely time looking at all these machines, I am beginning to come down on the side of Janome,

has anyone seen this machine https://www.franklinsgroup.com/product/janome-sewist-780dc/. This seems a really good price and it is not too heavy.

Helen M

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2024, 17:42:30 PM »
If a meteorite landed on my 5024 today I'd be off to John Lewis immediately to get the exact same machine.. then I'd repair the meteorite damage to the roof.

I would do the same @Tamnymore!
Stash Busting 2024 - Goal: 25 metres
So far:  3.0 metres  ------ Donated : 0 metres
Items decluttered: 75

Iminei

« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2024, 18:02:05 PM »
@Celia ... Youre buying another machine ??? I thought you had just got rid of the Bernina because you had too many ?
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Celia

« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2024, 18:12:11 PM »
No @Iminei. I only have 2, my straight stitch and the embroidery machine, my problem with the Bernina was it was too big and heavy and it also made me feel like I should use it all the time instead of my beloved Janome HD9. 

I just need a small machine for the occasional zigzag button hole etc and also would like to be able to move it around the house etc.