The Sewing Place

Smallish good sewing machines ideas

Bill

Re: Smallish good sewing machines ideas
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2024, 18:46:33 PM »
I have had a lovely time looking at all these machines, I am beginning to come down on the side of Janome,

has anyone seen this machine https://www.franklinsgroup.com/product/janome-sewist-780dc/. This seems a really good price and it is not too heavy.

I read that was the machine used in the great British sewing bee 2021.
Bernina 570QE (Bernie)     1937 Singer 201k (sally)
The best advice I can give you, is don't take advice from me
Don't follow me, I do stupid things

WildAtlanticWay

« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2024, 07:46:34 AM »
I was re-watching series 3 of the GBSB recently on iPlayer and noticed that they swapped the sewing machines after the first couple of episodes from Janome to a Bernina 3 series. (I think it was the 350 that’s been superseded now). I hadn’t noticed that before. 😳

@Sara-S. Yes, our machines are probably the same Brother models with a different badge due to the different voltage used. I love Brother machines and was waiting for Brother to add a thread cutter to the mid range computerised machines before I bought mine, as I use the thread cutter all the time now and found it frustrating not having it on my previous model I took with me. Plus I think their updated auto threaders are the best I’ve ever used and much prefer it to the one on the Bernina and the Bernette one is really basic in comparison.

Celia

« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2024, 08:37:18 AM »
That’s another interesting subject thread cutters and needle threaders, they vary so much from machine to machine and price doesn’t always come into it. 

@WildAtlanticWay and @Bill i have been rewatching the sewing bee too and must admit the latest couple of series they seem to have had less trouble with machines.

Last night I watched the one with the 1960s machines and that was really fun.

Thank you everyone for your help I am now still confused.  ::thinks:: I think I would like to buy one of each or at least borrow them and then decide. :laughing:
« Last Edit: February 21, 2024, 09:24:26 AM by Iminei »

Morgan

« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2024, 08:43:08 AM »

Celia

« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2024, 08:48:30 AM »
@Morgan   good gracious I had one of the originals and loved it, doesn’t look as if it’s available to buy anywhere

StitchinTime

coffeeandcake

« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2024, 10:01:23 AM »
My mum had an Elna Lotus when I was a teenager. It superseded her Singer treadle. I used it for my Needlework O'level (textiles nowadays). When I left school I made lots of stuff on it. It never had any issues.

Bill

« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2024, 10:26:32 AM »
I was re-watching series 3 of the GBSB recently on iPlayer and noticed that they swapped the sewing machines after the first couple of episodes from Janome to a Bernina 3 series. (I think it was the 350 that’s been superseded now). I hadn’t noticed that before. 😳

I read that they were using the Janome 5060 QDC in newer episodes right up to and including the 2023 series. A few contestants can be heard cursing it's slow speed as the machine tops out at 820 stitches per minute.
Pay attention woman!  :P

WildAtlanticWay

« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2024, 11:05:38 AM »
Exactly @Bill   The Bernina speed is at least 1000 spm but they didn’t comment in the programme on the fact their machines had been swapped again after episode 3, which was the one where they used old Singers from the 1950’s.

However, my eagle eyes spotted the Bernina straight away. 😂

@Celia   The needle threader on that Elna is the same as the Bernette I have and so one I’d avoid if a decent needle threader was an important consideration.

Bill

« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2024, 11:27:12 AM »
Agreed @WildAtlanticWay
Needle threaders on my bernette and even the Bernina is bloody crap.

Ouryve

« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2024, 11:38:46 AM »
Am I the only one who usually has the speed slider turned down? I rarely even put my foot right down when I'm overlocking.
Janome M50QDC - "Jane" - Small, cute and hard working. Pfaff Quilt Ambition 630 - "Pfanny" - Pfickle. Bernina L450 - "Bernie" - Very hungry. Bernina 830 Record - "Becky"

KayK

« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2024, 11:42:38 AM »
I had a Brother Innov-is 15 to take to classes for a while - I did sell it as the only thing I personally didn't like about it was the 7mm stitch width, apart from that, it was brilliant, and a pretty good price too.  I am currently very happy with my old Bernina 801 to take to classes. I don't take it in its very bulky case, it fits quite nicely in a Sainsbury's 'bag for life'  :thumb: All mechanical tho, so no needle up down, which I agree, is a pretty good feature to have!

Good luck in your search, it's quite exciting!
I have learnt by my mistakes: Sewing machines now are Bernina 720, Bernina 1008, Bernina 801 from 1981, Brother overlocker, ancient but works well

KayK

« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2024, 11:48:54 AM »
Agreed @WildAtlanticWay
Needle threaders on my bernette and even the Bernina is bloody crap.

Indeed they are!  I can thread the needle on my Bernina B720 better than it can - it takes me half the time! Brother needle threaders are very, very good!
I have learnt by my mistakes: Sewing machines now are Bernina 720, Bernina 1008, Bernina 801 from 1981, Brother overlocker, ancient but works well

twopence

« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2024, 20:02:33 PM »
I was taught to wrap the thread round the needle thread and then hold it out to the back right hand corner where you press to remove the needle plate. Check that the needle threaded has clicked right against the needle and release. Since I was taught that I find both my Bernina 770QE and my Bernina 570QE (the original one they marketed here only 5mm) it works every time.