The Sewing Place

Digital rolling tape measure

Sara-S

Digital rolling tape measure
« on: February 20, 2024, 17:30:43 PM »
I’m not great at measuring, so a friend suggested I try this;

Linky

It’s accurate & small- nice to take to classes. I am working on a leather case for it.(Yes I used it to check my measurements).  Pics when it’s done.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2024, 11:23:57 AM by Sara-S »
You can't scare me. I taught high school for 32 years.

Sara-S

Re: Digital rolling tape measure
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2024, 20:45:19 PM »
I finished the case.
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Tamnymore

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2024, 20:53:40 PM »
What a great idea and nice case so you don't lose your new measuring gadget.
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

Sara-S

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2024, 21:11:40 PM »
Thanks @Tamnymore !   In addition to storing it, I made the case to protect it from breakage if I take it with me, to as class.

Kwaaked

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2024, 00:21:28 AM »
Noice!   :perfect10:

Hideout Hen

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2024, 10:22:40 AM »
@Sara-S
Your link is taking me to the sewing place home page. ?
Looks like an interesting tool.
In my dreams I'm still sewing....and also in my nightmares.

Sara-S

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2024, 11:24:50 AM »
@HenriettaMaria thanks for letting me know. The link is fixed now.

It is a handy tool.

There is an interesting side note to this purchase.  I posted the tool & my case on another discussion board (unrelated topic). One of the folks there contacted me to commission a custom-made tobacco pouch.  I can make it in a total of an hour or so & will start work on it later today.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2024, 11:28:47 AM by Sara-S »

HenriettaMaria

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2024, 12:11:10 PM »
@Sara-S Who?  Me?   :D

Sara-S

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2024, 12:17:22 PM »
Oops…got some folks mixed up. It was @Hideout Hen that told m my link needed fixing.

Elnnina

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2024, 12:06:53 PM »
Sure-fit Designs do something called 'ROLLBE'  and it comes in  little pouch, and is available here in the UK via surefitdesigns.co.uk  run by Judith Johnson, ideal for measuring around curves.  The actual wheel is 6.5cm across and there is a little hand piece fastened over the wheel  which you hold between finger and thumb allowing the wheel to move freely  and you  roll it along whatever you want to measure.  Cost is £19.85 and mine is metric and I have had it a few years now.

Sara-S

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2024, 14:13:44 PM »
 :pics: Sounds interesting.

Elnnina

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2024, 16:57:26 PM »
Oh Sara, you are taxing me with getting photos from the phone onto here, I am trying, even involved Twopence over the phone to try and get a photo from phone to here and it just does not want to oblige.

So as you want to see this may I suggest you go onto the Sure-Fit Designs USA site and look for Rollbe there.  I am so sorry about this - it drives me mad.

Elnnina

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2024, 17:08:06 PM »
Just had another thought and dragged my photo of this Rollbe onto my desktop and I hope I have attached it correctly,

Sara-S

« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2024, 17:29:07 PM »
@Elnnina I can see the pic. Do you like it?

Elnnina

« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2024, 17:45:49 PM »
I have only used this Rollbe a few times - quite some time ago as well, and it worked, I was having some difficulty measuring a neckline at the time.

I cannot remember just how long ago I bought this, I first saw this on the Sure-Fit Designs American site, and as of course I live here in the UK I then looked for this on the Sure-fit Designs UK site and bought it from there, also I had the option of having either imperial measurements or metric measurements and chose the metric.  I tend to keep this in a drawer and had really forgotten about this, and I shouldn't have as I have been playing with Sure-fit Designs in the last year.  Just one of those many things we buy and whilst they are useful, if not out and staring you in the face you forget about them.

I am about to venture into adapting a pattern for knit fabrics, and I know I want to adjust the neck, so I am now leaving this out where I can see it - perhaps it will make my life a tad easier. 

To use this gadget as it rolls around from the start point, you just listen out for the click/sound it gives, and count them up in your head, it really is that simple,  however the click/sound is very feint so you do not need music or the TV on whilst you are using this.  The disc as it rolls around from  the start to finish one rotation  is 20cm