The Sewing Place

Hi, I’ve just joined the forum.

Clduk

Hi, I’ve just joined the forum.
« on: February 23, 2024, 10:10:57 AM »
Hello, my name is Carol, and I’m Lancashire based. I’m a 5ft petite and 55 and have been sewing since I was very young. Mainly started out of necessity as there were no petite ranges back then.

Unfortunately 😬😄 I buy more patterns and fabric than I get round to making. But working full time is my excuse!

I used to get really inspired by fabric but there’s only 1 shop near me that doesn’t stock many natural fabrics, which is what I prefer. I haven’t found an online shop yet and would be interested in where you buy your fabrics, I really miss browsing fabrics!

Flobear

Re: Hi, I’ve just joined the forum.
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2024, 10:23:00 AM »
Hello and welcome @Clduk .

I think quite a few of us who started sewing at an early age have had periods of not finding the time to do much at all but it's good to come back to it.

The question you ask is a fairly common one but I'm not sure that there's an up-to-date comprehensive list. I will check now and, if there isn't, I will start a special thread for this.

Like you, I miss being able to go into shops and browse fabrics, especially for clothing items.

Beware of falling into the abyss that is the Dark side. I came here to find help with my overlocker and a few months later had started my first quilt  :rolleyes:
Proud new owner of Elvistoo !!

Greybird

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2024, 10:26:07 AM »
Hello Carol and welcome. I hope you'll join us in our conversations. There is indeed a thread for online fabric shops which I'm sure @Flobear will come up with shortly. We look forward to seeing your makes soon.

Flobear

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2024, 10:31:40 AM »
Here is the link for the current thread
online fabric shops

I have started a new one as there are 5 pages starting from 2017.

Proud new owner of Elvistoo !!

Iminei

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2024, 10:53:21 AM »
Welcome @Clduk  you finally got here ... enjoy and have a look around xxx
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Hideout Hen

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2024, 11:06:17 AM »
Hi @Clduk. welcome.
I think we all prefer seeing and touching materials before we buy. Sadly actual fabric shops are few and far between these days. :)
« Last Edit: February 23, 2024, 18:45:52 PM by Hideout Hen »
In my dreams I'm still sewing....and also in my nightmares.

BrendaP

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2024, 11:15:07 AM »
Hello @Clduk  and welcome to TSP

I too have been sewing for a very long time and after buying lots of online polyester bargains during lockdown times I am now trying to reduce the amount of synthetics in my wardrobe.

Unfortunately nowadays most of us have to shop for fabric online - and from here in the south east the general impression is that the few bricks and mortar shops that do still exist are up north!

It used to be; buy your pattern and then wander around the fabric shops to choose something suitable.  Now it's; order some fabric online and take a guess as to how much you might need and then sort through the pattern stash to find something suitable.   :S

A few of the online shops that I've used include:
https://www.fabricgodmother.co.uk/
https://www.croftmill.co.uk/
https://www.doughtysonline.co.uk/
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Silver Rose

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2024, 11:57:43 AM »
Hello and welcome @Clduk  this is a lovely place for advice and encouragement and of course chatting about and showing our makes. Here in Ipswich we have Franklins for fabrics and all things crafty but I buy online mostly from Croft Mill or Minerva. Look forward to seeing your sewing.
Still learning

Nevis5

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2024, 12:34:47 PM »
Hello and a big welcome from me, too @Clduk   !  Like the others, we have no fabric shops here any more so I spend a lot of time and money buying online and sometimes I even sew it up. 

Cazlyn

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2024, 12:36:23 PM »
Hi and welcome to TSP!
Crafting is my happy place

Ouryve

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2024, 12:36:40 PM »
Hi, @Clduk I'm a similar age to you and took a long break due to lack of time, then lack of space - I ended up learning to knit, instead, when the boys were young. I'm also a fan of natural fibres with just the odd bit of viscose/tencel or similar.

The online shops I use the most are:
Merchant & Mills
Lamazi
Guthrie & Ghani
Sew Me Sunshine - though this one hasn't had as much good stock, recently.
Janome M50QDC - "Jane" - Small, cute and hard working. Pfaff Quilt Ambition 630 - "Pfanny" - Pfickle. Bernina L450 - "Bernie" - Very hungry. Bernina 830 Record - "Becky"

Clduk

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2024, 12:37:32 PM »
Hello and welcome @Clduk .

I think quite a few of us who started sewing at an early age have had periods of not finding the time to do much at all but it's good to come back to it.

The question you ask is a fairly common one but I'm not sure that there's an up-to-date comprehensive list. I will check now and, if there isn't, I will start a special thread for this.

Like you, I miss being able to go into shops and browse fabrics, especially for clothing items.

Beware of falling into the abyss that is the Dark side. I came here to find help with my overlocker and a few months later had started my first quilt  :rolleyes:

Thanks for the welcome, I’ll try to resist the dark side!😂

Clduk

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2024, 12:40:39 PM »
Welcome @Clduk  you finally got here ... enjoy and have a look around xxx

Thanks for your help!

Clduk

« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2024, 12:44:30 PM »
Hello @Clduk  and welcome to TSP

I too have been sewing for a very long time and after buying lots of online polyester bargains during lockdown times I am now trying to reduce the amount of synthetics in my wardrobe.

Unfortunately nowadays most of us have to shop for fabric online - and from here in the south east the general impression is that the few bricks and mortar shops that do still exist are up north!

It used to be; buy your pattern and then wander around the fabric shops to choose something suitable.  Now it's; order some fabric online and take a guess as to how much you might need and then sort through the pattern stash to find something suitable.   :S

A few of the online shops that I've used include:
https://www.fabricgodmother.co.uk/
https://www.croftmill.co.uk/
https://www.doughtysonline.co.uk/

Thanks, didn’t realise that. There are a few shops within a hours drive, I think I need to start travelling a bit further afield, although still within Lancashire then.

Clduk

« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2024, 12:56:40 PM »
Hi, @Clduk I'm a similar age to you and took a long break due to lack of time, then lack of space - I ended up learning to knit, instead, when the boys were young. I'm also a fan of natural fibres with just the odd bit of viscose/tencel or similar.

The online shops I use the most are:
Merchant & Mills
Lamazi
Guthrie & Ghani
Sew Me Sunshine - though this one hasn't had as much good stock, recently.

Thanks, I’ve found Merchant and Mills and really like their patterns and fabrics too. I’ll take a look at the others.