The Sewing Place

Men’s pyjamas

Celia

Men’s pyjamas
« on: February 25, 2024, 09:30:13 AM »
I am looking to make a pyjama top for my Son, he think he wants a brushed cotton but he doesn’t want buttons, I am a bit unsure what sort of pattern to use, most of the ones without buttons are for stretch fabric.

Does anyone have any ideas

Can I use a tee shirt pattern but just bigger or will it be uncomfortable, he does want long sleeves

Bill

Re: Men’s pyjamas
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2024, 11:35:38 AM »
Have you considered a long sleeve t-shirt pattern and make it from wool?
I have 2 of these and they're the most comfortable tops ever.
Bernina 570QE (Bernie)     1937 Singer 201k (sally)
The best advice I can give you, is don't take advice from me
Don't follow me, I do stupid things

Ouryve

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2024, 11:48:13 AM »
No reason why you couldn't adapt a t-shirt pattern - this is a woven tee pattern. It's the head opening that would be the biggest issue.
https://merchantandmills.com/uk/the-tee-shirt
Janome M50QDC - "Jane" - Small, cute and hard working. Pfaff Quilt Ambition 630 - "Pfanny" - Pfickle. Bernina L450 - "Bernie" - Very hungry. Bernina 830 Record - "Becky"

Ploshkin

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2024, 11:50:51 AM »
What about an 'African' style top - can't think what they are called.  They generally have a round neck with a V slit at the front.
I would have thought though that a stretch fabric would be the most comfortable to wear.
Life's too short for ironing.

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2024, 12:13:54 PM »
I made woven PJ tops from a scrubs pattern.
The one I used had a flat collar band set into the neckline opening.

here is a slightly different (free) pattern
https://dotncross.com/free-scrubs-sewing-pattern

So Chic

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2024, 13:17:34 PM »
@Celia  I have KwikSew 3122  which I made up using the Large which is supposed to fit a 42-44 chest but it came up too big for my OH, if you would like it please PM me and I will put it in the post to you. 
So Chic
Bernina Artista 630, Bernina 800DL, Janome Cover Pro 1000CP and an elderly Singer Touch & Sew 720G as a back up

HenriettaMaria

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2024, 14:07:20 PM »
Had a squint at sewdirect.com men's patterns and found three in the first couple of pages:

Simplicity S9650 (scrubs); S9211 (jammies)

McCalls M8443 (jammies)

I made DS a bunch of PJs in brushed cotton Stewart tartan a couple of years back.  I bought about 10m and did one jacket, two or three pairs of trousers and a pair of sleep shorts.  He wanted inseam pockets (welded to mobile phone!) and I found that it was necessary to reinforce the bottom of the pockets with a bit of cotton tape zig-zagged to the inside to prevent tearing but otherwise it worked just fine.  Results will be somewhere in the Inside the Wardrobe board.

Celia

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2024, 18:50:31 PM »
@Celia  I have KwikSew 3122  which I made up using the Large which is supposed to fit a 42-44 chest but it came up too big for my OH, if you would like it please PM me and I will put it in the post to you.

That’s a lovely offer but my son is between a small and a medium so I am sure it would be too large.  Thanks

toileandtrouble

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2024, 07:09:48 AM »
@Celia   if the pattern is cut to large, you will still be able to trace off the small size, if SoChic doesn't want it cut down.
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m

So Chic

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2024, 07:46:39 AM »
@Celia   You’re more than welcome to have the pattern as I won’t ever use it again.
So Chic
Bernina Artista 630, Bernina 800DL, Janome Cover Pro 1000CP and an elderly Singer Touch & Sew 720G as a back up

Celia

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2024, 09:51:43 AM »
Thank you again @So Chic but I have just found a stretch fabric he likes in my stash and as I already have a long sleeve tee shirt pattern for him that’s what he is getting.  :laughing:  this is the one I do like Jalie patterns

https://jalie.com/products/boys-and-mens-t-shirts-sewing-pattern

I am much happier sewing with my overlocker anyway :laughing:

So Chic

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2024, 11:39:34 AM »
That looks good and much better than mine.
So Chic