The Sewing Place

Tidy corners on wide binding

Ploshkin

Tidy corners on wide binding
« on: February 28, 2024, 12:17:49 PM »
I know how to get nice corners on narrow quilt binding but as soon as I try to do wider binding I can't get the corners to be nice and square.  They just end up rounded with the corner of the wadding squished down.
Ive just been trying to do a 5/8 inch binding using a 3" strip folded in half but I've given up and trimmed off the excess wadding and reverted to a narrow border because I just can't get decent corners.
Life's too short for ironing.

Flobear

Re: Tidy corners on wide binding
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2024, 12:24:23 PM »
It took me quite a bit of experimenting to work out how to do tidy mitres on my Stars quilt binding which was wider than a quarter inch. I need to have a think about the formula, as it were.
Proud new owner of Elvistoo !!

Ploshkin

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2024, 13:13:26 PM »
I think I must have been doing one of the corner folds to  the wrong place.  I was doing the folding level with the quilt corner edges which I can see wasn't giving me enough fabric for a decent mitre.  So, there's something I need to do differently but not sure what.

Flobear

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2024, 13:39:50 PM »
Yes, it's definitely something like that. It also makes a difference if you're putting the edge of the binding level with the edge of the quilt or back from the edge. That's why I ended up doing a few practice goes.
Proud new owner of Elvistoo !!

Iminei

« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2024, 08:34:37 AM »
You can always snip a teensy corner off the wadding ... I actually find wider bindings easier to mitre.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  
« Last Edit: February 29, 2024, 08:37:40 AM by Iminei »
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Ploshkin

« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2024, 09:31:53 AM »
I did try snipping off a teensy bit of corner @ iminei, then a teensy bit more, then a .......... But it was just the same leading me to think i had got it wrong at the folding stage.

realale

« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2024, 14:08:52 PM »
I did try snipping off a teensy bit of corner @ iminei, then a teensy bit more, then a ..........
That was the problem I had with the bookshelf quilt I made my granddaughter for Christmas. One corner was so mangled i had to cover it with a corner bookmark!!  :laughing:
My excuse is that I'm not a quilter.....  :P
So many beers, so little time.

grndkntrl

« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2024, 18:01:35 PM »
You probably already know these techniques, but in case you don't, here's a couple of Professor Pincushion videos that I've bookmarked showing a couple of tricks for making tidy corners, which might help you with this.

I've set the link timestamp to take you directly to the most pertinent section:

Just starting out with a Brother FS40s for now!

Also dabbling in 3D printing & electronics.