The Sewing Place

Home Sweet Home Contest March and April 2024

SewRuthieSews

Home Sweet Home Contest March and April 2024
« on: February 28, 2024, 18:55:51 PM »
Home Sweet Home

This is the Home contest! Make anything which can be used around the home or garden.
Examples include Quilts, cushions, pillow cases, rugs, table mats/runners, oven gloves and tea/coffee cosies. Curtains, sewing machine covers, garden kneeling pad, any sort of bag or caddy and etc.
The item can be for yourself or someone else/charity
If you are not sure if something is allowed, please ask :-)

1 March to 30 April 2024

Please sew, knit, crochet or otherwise craft an item which can be used around the home.

Please submit your entries in this thread using this template:

Details to include:

Your User Name and Entry Number  - 1, 2 etc if entering more than one item
A short description of the project and at least one photo

The winning entry will receive an exclusive TSP patch or badge
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]    [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  
« Last Edit: March 01, 2024, 08:43:07 AM by SewRuthieSews »

SewRuthieSews

Re: Home Sweet Home Contest March and April 2024
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2024, 09:03:52 AM »
I have lots of possible projects, but perhaps sewing machine covers and new covers for the hallway bench cushions would be first.

Ouryve

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2024, 09:25:27 AM »
I have something hatching. Cushion covers. A bit of a diversion for me.
Janome M50QDC - "Jane" - Small, cute and hard working. Pfaff Quilt Ambition 630 - "Pfanny" - Pfickle. Bernina L450 - "Bernie" - Very hungry. Bernina 830 Record - "Becky"

Celia

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2024, 09:29:10 AM »
Oooh I am thinking about cushion covers too so maybe ?

K.H.

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2024, 12:00:00 PM »
I've not been round for quite a while, but I'm back!!!!

Just so happens I have some plans which will fit in nicely with this contest. I need new covers for 2 of my machines and also some full length curtains in the dining room. Hmmm. best I get sewing soon then!  :)
Still learning!
My machine list: Toyota SPA34 and Janome Finesse 234 overlocker.

Flobear

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2024, 12:11:15 PM »
Perhaps, if I say it publicly, it has a chance of happening  :P 

I have 4 dining room chairs that need tlc. The wood needs attention and seat padding and covering replaced. I have had the fabric for over 2 years, I thnk!
Proud new owner of Elvistoo !!

SewRuthieSews

Starryfish

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2024, 14:10:04 PM »
I have a needlepoint panel that has been finished for ahem some time, would it be eligible if I turn it into a cushion? Or would it count as stash and I put it in the May/June comp?
A day without sewing is a day wasted.

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2024, 15:17:13 PM »
Hiya @Starryfish it'd be OK in either competition, looking forward to seeing it :-)

Tamnymore

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2024, 20:07:35 PM »
I have bits for a peg bag. Perhaps this will spur me on to make it at last.
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

Bjay

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2024, 12:19:43 PM »
I have a half finished runner  and coaster set and also a  half finished but still used seat cover which badly needs to be finished.
Perhaps this will spur me on   to do them you never know  ;)
Trying to find my way on the Dark side

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2024, 11:57:50 AM »
@Tamnymore and @Bjay I'm really looking forwards to seeing your completed projects.

I have some curtains to shorten for us and a friend. In both cases the off cuts to be made into cushion covers.

Having seen @Bodgeitandscarper sewing machine covers I am even more convinced my poor machines should get covers too. I need to keep it simple though!

Ouryve

« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2024, 14:16:18 PM »
Maybe an inspiration thread would be nice, @SewRuthieSews as there are a few here with new machines, lately.
Janome M50QDC - "Jane" - Small, cute and hard working. Pfaff Quilt Ambition 630 - "Pfanny" - Pfickle. Bernina L450 - "Bernie" - Very hungry. Bernina 830 Record - "Becky"

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2024, 08:01:34 AM »
Hello folks how is the home sewing going?

We're half way through having new windows in our bungalow, which has prompted me to look again at the living room curtains. They were full length covering the radiator, so I temporarily put back the old ones I'd found in a cupboard as they were a better length

I feel new windows deserve the nice curtains, so need to shorten them to the same length as the old ones. This will leave me with some leftover fabric which I'm planning to use in there for cushions and or a table runner (its also the dining room).

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2024, 09:14:11 AM »
Bodgeitandscarper's entry number 1.  (there may be more, or maybe not!)

Just a simple hotwaterbottle cover - I drew around the existing cover, and added seam allowance.  It's got fusible fleece ironed on the back of the cuddle fleece, and then lined with some random dark blue lining fabric.  The bit I'm most proud of is working out how to only sew round all the layers once to join it all.  I then turned it once through the gap in the lining, then turned again through the back opening - and Bob was indeed my uncle!  All the right way round and just the little gap in the lining to sew up.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]      [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]