The Sewing Place

New overlocker tips

realale

New overlocker tips
« on: February 29, 2024, 14:29:13 PM »
So, as I explained on my diary thread, my old and trusty overlocker is now no longer trusty and is in fact headed for the great scrap heap in the sky.
I'm going to be looking at new overlockers at the NEC Sewing for Pleasure in three weeks and trying out a few so has anyone any good tips that I should look out for?
I'm not too fussed with a needle threader but I do like a thread catcher.
I don't think I want to go to the expense of an air threader.
Differential feed is a must.
I'm not after specific brands or models just a few tips on things you have found useful/annoying on yours eg knife disengage easy to access etc.
Thanks in advance for your help.
So many beers, so little time.

Ouryve

Re: New overlocker tips
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2024, 14:57:15 PM »
I think the only annoyance I have with mine is that it's very difficult to disengage the knife in action. It could be done but I would need another pair of hands to open both doors and swing it down - easy peasy if I decide not to use it before I start stitching!

Threading is dead easy to the point that air threading strikes me as something expensive to go wrong. I find threading from scratch much easier than faffing about with knotting.
Janome M50QDC - "Jane" - Small, cute and hard working. Pfaff Quilt Ambition 630 - "Pfanny" - Pfickle. Bernina L450 - "Bernie" - Very hungry. Bernina 830 Record - "Becky"

So Chic

« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2024, 15:01:58 PM »
All I would say is find one that's easy to thread, my OH reckons I spend more time threading than sewing but it sounds as if you've been happy with the one you have so why not just upgrade it. 
So Chic
Bernina Artista 630, Bernina 800DL, Janome Cover Pro 1000CP and an elderly Singer Touch & Sew 720G as a back up

Greybird

« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2024, 15:05:53 PM »
@realale as discussed in another thread a short while ago, this is the one I have. There are newer models. As you'll see, the whole blade assembly part opens right back for threading - brilliant! It's also very easy to guage seam allowances, and it's possible to safely stitch right on the edge without cutting anything off - I have never yet needed to disengage the blade. The right needle is slightly awkward to thread but this is probably more a result of my eyesight than anything else! I found GUR very good to deal with. If they have a stand do have a look at these.

Helen M

« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2024, 15:18:51 PM »
I believe Brothers are one of the easiest to thread. I used a Janome at a class and much preferred my Brother to the one they had.

Which one do you have at the moment @realale?
Stash Busting 2024 - Goal: 25 metres
So far:  3.0 metres  ------ Donated : 0 metres
Items decluttered: 75

Tamnymore

« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2024, 16:08:36 PM »
@realale as you say you are going to Sewing for Pleasure in a couple of weeks I've just thought of something so have sent you a DM!
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

Lachica

« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2024, 17:19:25 PM »
I upgraded my Brother 1034 to the 4234D at a good price at the Ally Pally show a couple of years ago. It's easier to thread the loopers than 1034 & it has needle threaders which I wanted as my eyes are getting worse. I'm really pleased with it but it's just as noisy as its predessor when it needs oiling!
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

Surest1tch

« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2024, 20:32:40 PM »
Get what you feel most comfortable using.
I've got 2 Janomes (can't remember the model numbers  :embarrassed:) the older one I really like, the newer one not so much as it seems a bit noisy compared to the other but it sews well. Both are easy to thread from scratch but if I forget what goes where it's colour coded anyway.
It's rare I thread up either of them from scratch I just tie the threads together and run it until the new colour works it's way through. Now and then I have to thread the needles depending on what size needle I'm using or if I haven't tightened the knots up so it's small enough to go through the eye.

realale

« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2024, 21:10:55 PM »
My machine is the Janome My Lock 634D which looks like the new Janome 6234XL.
I have loads of extra feet for it which came when I had the machine - along with a VHS tape to show me how to use it!!  0_0.  Because of all the extra feet I have with it I may just get the 6234XL but I'm going to try others just so I know what's out there.
So many beers, so little time.

annierose

« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2024, 22:16:40 PM »
I bought my Janome 6234XL 14 years ago, and it has been very good, still working well, I've only changed the blade once. I have one problem that I think is insurmountable, but I too am going to have a look at the NEC.
As my arthritis worsens, my foot is less responsive than I would like, so I have to be very careful with the pedal.

My main sewing machine (which I got 18 months ago and adore) is the Janome Atelier 7. You can vary the speed, and then push a button, you don't need a foot control (there is an optional one if wanted)

I would love an overlocker with that feature, but have not found one yet. There is an attachment you can buy that fits some machines to convert them, but it doesn't seem to fit any overlockers.

Ouryve

Janome M50QDC - "Jane" - Small, cute and hard working. Pfaff Quilt Ambition 630 - "Pfanny" - Pfickle. Bernina L450 - "Bernie" - Very hungry. Bernina 830 Record - "Becky"

WildAtlanticWay

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2024, 07:21:37 AM »
I’ve also been looking at Overlockers and I’m thinking about buying the Bernina L460. I’ve read reviews and watched some online videos where it sounds pretty quiet in action and doesn’t hop about when on full speed.

The thing that makes me prefer this model to the L450 which is €200 cheaper is that it apparently has a DC motor and is a lot more powerful and able to tackle thicker fabric seams.

My current Brother will noisily tackle medium thick fabrics but a friend borrowed it and used it on a thicker coat fabric and I think that damaged it slightly. I’ve had it serviced but it’s not the same.

Yes, I’ve learnt my lesson about lending out machines and have said no twice since then. 😜

coffeeandcake

« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2024, 08:35:00 AM »
I had a Janome 6234XL for several years and it was a very good machine. I moved it on last year, when I bought a Bernina and I've really noticed the difference. The Bernina is so much quieter and less fiddly to thread the lower looper. It also had a useful extension table.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2024, 08:49:59 AM »
@realale Take one or two of your presser feet with you to check, they may well fit other machines.

annierose

« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2024, 08:52:16 AM »
Oh, thank @Ouryve for taking such trouble - I'm not sure how you found it! I Google searched and rang a couple of shops I know, who said they has never heard of such a thing.
I loved looking at it, but for any of you who are interested, the price is...........£3515!!!!
It is a wonderful machine, way over my budget, and I don't think i would use even half of the features - but I loved looking at it, and I loved that you found it!
I also thought I might contact them and ask if they know of others with that feature. This forum is wonderful!