The Sewing Place

New overlocker tips

toileandtrouble

Re: New overlocker tips
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2024, 08:59:32 AM »
I have 2, the Janome 634D (+feet and VHS) and my original Viking Huskylock which has a very useful small freearm but does not disengage the knife. Both work brilliantly.  The freearm is very good on sleeves.
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m

Celia

« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2024, 10:03:23 AM »
@annierose I actually have the Gloria and it is as described a wonderful machine it does have a knee lift and a speed control but you do still need to use the foot control there is no start /stop switch at least not on mine.

I am posting this in in case you win the lottery  :laughing:

Just for the record I did not pay that for it  :faints:

Gernella

« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2024, 10:24:13 AM »
Funnily enough, on Wednesday, while waiting for DH I was sat studying my skirt hem (as you do :laughing:) and thinking how good it looked despite being made around 2010.  The overlocking was  still perfect and it was  at that time my Janome 644D which I replaced simply because I'd got the Bernina bug and  the lure of a needle threader.
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

annierose

« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2024, 12:06:47 PM »
Thank you @Celia, actually I can use a foot control just to press down, it's the finer movements of controlling speed that is a problem, so it would suit me (if I had £3k+!)
@realale, I didn't mean to hijack your thread, I hope you've found this discussion useful.

I do like my 14 year old Janome 6234XL. It does everything I want of it, although I no longer do hems (because of controlling speed). For seams and stitching edges, it keeps tension well and copes with different weights of fabric well.

realale

« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2024, 12:09:55 PM »
Thank you @annierose but I don't mind the thread going this way as it all helps with my decision (I hope!!).
I've only been without it for a day and already I realise how much I use it - I'm already missing it  :(
So many beers, so little time.

BrendaP

« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2024, 12:19:47 PM »
I’ve also been looking at Overlockers and I’m thinking about buying the Bernina L460. I’ve read reviews and watched some online videos where it sounds pretty quiet in action and doesn’t hop about when on full speed.

The thing that makes me prefer this model to the L450 which is €200 cheaper is that it apparently has a DC motor and is a lot more powerful and able to tackle thicker fabric seams.

My current Brother will noisily tackle medium thick fabrics but a friend borrowed it and used it on a thicker coat fabric and I think that damaged it slightly. I’ve had it serviced but it’s not the same.

When I bought my Bernina 1150 it was in preference to a Brother, the Bernina was so much smoother and quieter in action.  It's proved to be a really good purchase.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2024, 12:21:59 PM by BrendaP »
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

HenriettaMaria

« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2024, 13:14:45 PM »
I have a pre-nosedive Singer.  My experience of it would lead me to suggest that you are better off getting a machine that takes standard needles if at all possible - easier to source.

So Chic

« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2024, 15:03:53 PM »
I agree with HenriettaMaria re needles, my first overlocker was a Huskylock which only took round needles which were difficult to find and one shop would only sell me half a packet! 

I’ve bought small items from Sewing Machine Sales and found the service wasn’t bad but I would rather buy a machine from a dealer.
So Chic
Bernina Artista 630, Bernina 800DL, Janome Cover Pro 1000CP and an elderly Singer Touch & Sew 720G as a back up

Ouryve

« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2024, 15:17:01 PM »
Yeah, when I bought Bernie, I'd been looking at the Janome[numbers and letters] that a few people here have but my local dealer said he really doesn't like servicing them due to the drive mechanism. I was more than happy to narrow my choices down to ones he did like servicing - his service prices are really good compared to some other dealers in the region that are a much longer journey, so that was one issue on which I was keen to be a compliant customer  :D
Janome M50QDC - "Jane" - Small, cute and hard working. Pfaff Quilt Ambition 630 - "Pfanny" - Pfickle. Bernina L450 - "Bernie" - Very hungry. Bernina 830 Record - "Becky"

coffeeandcake

« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2024, 17:35:45 PM »
Re. Needles: the Janome 6234 uses specific needles  whereas the Bernina uses regular sewing machine needles.
Do you use Grant Tully for SM servicing @Ouryve ?

Ouryve

« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2024, 18:17:19 PM »
I do, @coffeeandcake. When I took my Janome in they were inundated and you could barely move in the already tiny shop for machines waiting to be dealt with!
Janome M50QDC - "Jane" - Small, cute and hard working. Pfaff Quilt Ambition 630 - "Pfanny" - Pfickle. Bernina L450 - "Bernie" - Very hungry. Bernina 830 Record - "Becky"

Helen M

« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2024, 18:45:47 PM »
Brothers use regular needles as well, if that's any help.
Stash Busting 2024 - Goal: 25 metres
So far:  3.0 metres  ------ Donated : 0 metres
Items decluttered: 73

toileandtrouble

« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2024, 20:58:21 PM »
My huskylock 34d uses standard household needle with a flat back too.   The Janome 634d recommends HA1-SP which are easy to get too.
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m

annierose

« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2024, 08:42:10 AM »
I agree, I have the Janome 6234XL and have never had difficulty getting the needles.
I am finding this thread very interesting - and DH has glued a wooden wedge to my foot pedal which seems to make it easier.

Celia

« Reply #29 on: March 02, 2024, 10:42:12 AM »
I thought my Gloria was expensive has anyone seen this https://www.franknutt.co.uk/overlockers/bernina-overlockers/bernina-l890-overlocker-1

I am sure you will look at it @realale  :devil:

I did look at a YouTube and have to say I would rather have my Gloria, for me this one is a step toooo  far :laughing: