The Sewing Place

Hello

Ohsewsimple

Re: Hello
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2024, 17:40:39 PM »
Welcome to TSP @DiverDan.   I love the backpack and Paw Patrol is an absolute must at that age.   :)
My grandson would love it. 
Look forward to seeing other makes as and when

Diane

« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2024, 18:36:40 PM »
Welcome @DiverDan That's very impressive sewing  :loveit:
I’m a fabricholic on the road to recovery. Just kidding. I’m on the road to the fabric store.

Janome Memory Craft Horizon 9450QCP, Janome 4300QDC, Overlocker Brother 1034d, Husqvarna Viking Designer Topaz 40

Hideout Hen

« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2024, 19:07:05 PM »
Hi @DiverDan and welcome.  I'm into bags too. An industrial walking foot machine would be a good fit for you, if you're into using thick fabrics or leather.

Hello and welcome.  I too am deeply impressed by your early projects.  I once house-shared with a draughtsman who, seeing me make stuff, asked if he could have a go.  Long story short, he made an immaculate shirt for himself at the first attempt with only a bit of guidance from me on materials and how to use the machine.  Transferrable skills indeed :-)
Not sure about that. My OH was a draughtsman, then a designer. He's useless with all things "sewing".  Good at fixing my machines though.  :D
In my dreams I'm still sewing....and also in my nightmares.

Surest1tch

« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2024, 21:47:43 PM »
Wow @DiverDan those are fantastic especially as you are a beginner, well done  :thumb:. I sincerely hope you're proud of yourself and your makes 👏.

Lachica

« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2024, 07:04:45 AM »
Your bags are great. My grands would love the Paw Patrol fabric too. Looking forward to seeing how you get on with walking trousers. Will you use a commercial pattern or copy a favourite pair? A good opportunity to design the pockets exactly how you want them.
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

Nevis5

« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2024, 07:52:16 AM »
Hello and welcome from me, too @DiverDan  .  I'm seriously impressed with your sewing!  I wish I had the sort of brain that could work out pattern drafting - but I don't.   My DGS would also love the Paw Patrol bag!

realale

« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2024, 17:24:33 PM »
And it's a welcome from me too @DiverDan.
I was very impressed with your bags  :thumb: Looking forward to seeing what else you make.
So many beers, so little time.

Morgan

« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2024, 18:07:16 PM »
Hi Dan. The engineering & design aspects of sewing appeal yo me too. 
Don Morin gave off a similar vibe , initially published hundreds of project designs on his Weekend Designer Blog and later on another venture Bag n Telle. 
You may find both interesting, especially the process that shines through, even though he last posted in 2018/19.  It's still worth exploring. 

Enjoy the journey   
« Last Edit: March 11, 2024, 22:52:56 PM by Morgan »

ScubaGirl

« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2024, 12:18:29 PM »
Hello and welcome @DiverDan
That backpack looks great. Some great projects to get you started. I don't make a ton of bags but have been thinking of making a new laptop case. Your backpack has given me ideas... :)

Anyway I look forward to your future makes.

DiverDan

« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2024, 17:26:57 PM »
Thanks everyone for the warm welcome.

An industrial machine would be a huge benefit as although my Singer 9018 has done probably more than should be expected of it, I'm really pushing it to it's absolute limits working with these thick materials.

Thank you Morgan, I will check out Don Morin.

Thank you ScubaGirl, I did make a tote bag Yesterday, will post some photos in the appropriate section.

Gernella

« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2024, 10:03:36 AM »
I must say those bags look very professional @DiverDan I would never have thought you'd never sewn before.
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

DiverDan

« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2024, 11:19:30 AM »
I must say those bags look very professional @DiverDan I would never have thought you'd never sewn before.

Thank you so much.