The Sewing Place

The infamous Hourglass Block

Sara-S

The infamous Hourglass Block
« on: March 08, 2024, 18:58:58 PM »
If you’ve read the rant thread in the last couple of weeks, you will already know what I am talking about.
For those who haven’t, I will do my best to summarize.  I made an hourglass block that I really liked. On another site where I had posted it, I was met with dogma & rudeness.(Evidently, I didn’t make it in the one and only way that they deemed correct.)

I told them where to go, and am done with them.  You folks are much more fun. I had made this for my quilt guild, where we were encouraged to be creative.  I just love all of the blocks people brought in, so I thought you might like to see the wonderfully creative blocks we all made.

The one I made is circled in green.
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  
You can't scare me. I taught high school for 32 years.

Deafoldbat

Re: The infamous Hourglass Block
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2024, 19:26:51 PM »
Of course, if you sew them together alternating the direction of light and dark, it gets called 'broken dishes' - though there are at least 3 other blocks called that too....how come those people were so sure they were right? Anyway, that's their problem, not yours. It's always interesting to see the variations colour and value placement gives to a simple pattern.

Sara-S

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2024, 19:50:45 PM »
..how come those people were so sure they were right? Anyway, that's their problem, not yours. It's always interesting to see the variations colour and value placement gives to a simple pattern.

Because they are dogmatic, condescending (naughty word of your choice) bullies.

I am proud of my work as well as all of the blocks my guild friends made.

realale

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2024, 19:56:21 PM »
How dare you show us such abominations!! They are lovely obviously not correct  :laughing: :laughing:
I like the variety of the colours and ideas. Keep doing you.
So many beers, so little time.

BrendaP

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2024, 20:00:07 PM »
Whatever you choose to call them, hourglass, bow-tie, pin wheel ...  the variations of what can be done using squares made from two half square triangles is infinite.  Colour choice and light/dark placement can make such a difference. 

Your quilt, do it your way and enjoy it - we don't allow the quilt police on here, Acorn keeps them firmly under lock and key in her shed.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Sara-S

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2024, 20:12:32 PM »
And once again, this is why I love you all.

BTW, @realale my husband, whose ancestry is Scottish, loves your screen name.

Cazlyn

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2024, 07:37:23 AM »
What a great selection of pieces, I love the colours.
Crafting is my happy place

Elnnina

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2024, 10:28:49 AM »
Sara-S I am not a quilter (but have dabbled a little) but I love your quilt, and I allowed my eyes and brain to just conjour up whatever it saw, so in places there was what you called the hour glass, and in others a windmill sails, I also loved the various colour combinations, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, so please stay with us you will be so much better off as TSP is such a lovely forum, in fact it is the best!

Surest1tch

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2024, 20:31:47 PM »
I'm not a quilter but I do appreciate the work that goes into it and can honestly say I haven't seen one I don't like. I honestly don't understand how or why people can be so disparaging, take no notice of the morons.

Sara-S

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2024, 11:10:40 AM »
@Surest1tch I don’t either. I also fail to understand why no one, other than me, was wiling to stand up to the board bullies.

I posted this on another site devoted to a different topic, but with a philosophy similar to yours.

I got this delightful response;
They look wonderfully blasphemous :)

Iminei

« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2024, 08:58:53 AM »
Just to clarify (wonders whether it is wise to post this, head only just above the parapet)

The Bow Tie block, made of two fabrics, background and featured fabric,  has a snowballed corner in the middle of the block to indicate the knot in the bowtie 

(ducks and runs for cover)
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Sara-S

« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2024, 09:35:26 AM »
That's a pretty one @Iminei   I haven't seen that design before. The fabric choices are nice and also creative.

So no one here will be throwing any snowballs your way.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2024, 09:37:03 AM by Sara-S »

Iminei

« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2024, 09:43:01 AM »
Phew ... Thank you ..

The whole story can be found HERE if youre interested.

The fabrics were from a Charm pack, Makower or Lewis and Irene ...  Rainy days or something like that ... (It was a long time ago ... 2016 to be exact)  That I chose as part of a workshop I went to.
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Sheilago

« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2024, 10:22:59 AM »
That’s lovely @Iminei , simple but so effective. Love the bees!