The Sewing Place

Scissors

DiverDan

Scissors
« on: March 13, 2024, 11:32:23 AM »
Another 'hobby' I enjoy is collecting old tools, old engineering tools, measuring tools, micrometers etc. are my favourite but I've recently been keeping an eye out for vintage scissors on ebay.

These are what I've picked up so far.. Would love to see what scissors others are using, new or old, so feel free to post a photo.

HenriettaMaria

Re: Scissors
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2024, 11:48:09 AM »
Nothing so exciting.  I have a pair of Fiskars/Wilkinson Sword orange-handled dressmaking shears, and a pair of needlework scissors from the same company, both of which I've had for a good 40 years.  About a decade ago, not long before it all went horribly wrong for them, I had a rush of blood to the head and bought a pair of Ernest Wright shears at the K&S Show.  They're lovely but I tend not to use them unless I'm cutting out heavy wool as they are chu-u-u-nky.

Lowena

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2024, 12:26:26 PM »
I buy cheap scissors and use them for everything ( including paper  :ninja: )
I use a rotary cutter (45mm ) for cutting fabric
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Acorn

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2024, 12:27:41 PM »

You do realise that at least 5 of us just fainted...?   :faints:
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Lowena

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2024, 12:29:19 PM »
 :laughing:  :laughing:  :laughing:
The last scissors I bought were from Dunelm, by the tills.....£5 for 2 pairs ( small and large ) I've just cut some embroidery thread and opened a sealed plastic bag with them..... :devil:
« Last Edit: March 13, 2024, 12:31:47 PM by Lowena »
Triumph of hope over experience :D

HenriettaMaria

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2024, 12:31:40 PM »

:scream:

Ouryve

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2024, 12:37:56 PM »
Memo to hide my lovely Wilkinson Glide set if ever @Lowena comes for tea.
Janome M50QDC - "Jane" - Small, cute and hard working. Pfaff Quilt Ambition 630 - "Pfanny" - Pfickle. Bernina L450 - "Bernie" - Very hungry. Bernina 830 Record - "Becky"

Tamnymore

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2024, 12:53:37 PM »
Yes we are all fainting at @Lowena 's scissor confessions! Many years ago DH borrowed my fabric scissors to cut wallpaper so I immediately gave him said scissors and bought a new pair. He knows he isn't allowed to touch my fabric scissors now. I have a pair of 40+ year old Sheffield scissors - after about 30 years I got them sharpened by a guy in Leeds market so I'll be back in for a sharpening in another 20 years or so. I have a couple of other pairs of sewing shears but none I love as much as the old Sheffield ones. I have a couple of pairs of those little 'stork' embroidery scissors - I like them too.
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

Starryfish

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2024, 12:55:18 PM »
I would recommend Prosharp for bringing your lovely scissors up to standard, @DiverDan . https://www.prosharp.co.uk/

Of course @Lowena is cutting quilting fabric, not coating or silk!
A day without sewing is a day wasted.

Ouryve

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2024, 12:58:42 PM »
I use my little stork scissors for all sorts. They're better at unpicking than a seam ripper and the pointy end is useful for holding floppy bits out of the way when I'm pressing or machine stitching somethjng fiddly. I know there is a name for one of those tools but it currently escapes me.
Janome M50QDC - "Jane" - Small, cute and hard working. Pfaff Quilt Ambition 630 - "Pfanny" - Pfickle. Bernina L450 - "Bernie" - Very hungry. Bernina 830 Record - "Becky"

grndkntrl

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2024, 13:21:45 PM »
I use my little stork scissors for all sorts. They're better at unpicking than a seam ripper and the pointy end is useful for holding floppy bits out of the way when I'm pressing or machine stitching somethjng fiddly. I know there is a name for one of those tools but it currently escapes me.

I guess you're probably thinking of a "sewing stiletto" which also seems to be called a "stitching awl".
Just starting out with a Brother FS40s for now!

Also dabbling in 3D printing & electronics.

Ouryve

« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2024, 13:29:19 PM »

I guess you're probably thinking of a "sewing stiletto" which also seems to be called a "stitching awl".

That's the thing!

So Chic

« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2024, 13:29:55 PM »
I have about ten pairs of scissors including a pair of Ernest Wright scissors but, like HenriettaMaria, find them very heavy.  I use Kai scissors for most of my sewing as I can't get on with rotary cutters.  My collection also includes tailoring shears, duckbillls, embroidery, buttonhole, pinking shears, and a very old pair of Singer scissors used only for paper cutting.

I too would recommend Prosharp for sharpening scissors and I've also bought scissors from them.
So Chic
Bernina Artista 630, Bernina 800DL, Janome Cover Pro 1000CP and an elderly Singer Touch & Sew 720G as a back up

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2024, 14:28:27 PM »
My DH would never dream of using my scissors. 
@Starryfish i agree.  Cheap scissors are no use in decent fabric.  One of my students bought some from IKEA.  :rolleyes:   The blades didn’t meet let alone cut!  False economy really. 

Hideout Hen

« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2024, 14:54:35 PM »
I have several too. A pair of micro serrated shears, good for jersey. A couple of normal shears that cope with most  fabrics, even leather. A couple of small scissors for snipping threads. Lastly a pair of electric scissors for heavy stuff.
Oh, and some for cutting paper.
In my dreams I'm still sewing....and also in my nightmares.