The Sewing Place

Scissors

Lachica

Re: Scissors
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2024, 16:26:33 PM »
I bought a couple of pairs from Dunelm's fabric counter, they were so pretty. Completely useless, I took them back & the woman was a bit indignant but I dug my heels in & insisted on a refund. I'm still using the shears my parents bought me when I was ooh, maybe 16. They have been sharpened a few times! I also have the pinking shears still but I have replaced them. I have some Fiskears ones which came as a bundle with a machine, they're surprisingly good. I've got a rotary cutter but have never got the hang of it.
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

Sheilago

« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2024, 16:31:00 PM »
Do your scissors cut fabric well? @Lowena. I have kitchen scissors that are great for most things, but would be hopeless on fabric.
I have a pair of Fiskars  fabric scissors that only get used in the sewing room. I did manage to shatter a circular cutting blade this week. That’s the first time that’s happened and it was quite spectacular, with pieces of the blade flying fast in all directions  Luckily no bits hit my face.

DiverDan

« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2024, 16:45:23 PM »
Unfortunately, the large pair of tailors shears in the first photo, the blades just aren't right. If I take out all of the slack by tightening the pivot screw, the blade binds up.

I cannot find a makers mark anywhere so they could have been made by a blacksmith, not a scissor maker maybe. The craftsman ship is superb, they just don't go together with a good fit.

It's a shame because they are very comfortable in the hand.

Lachica

« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2024, 17:04:27 PM »
I also have a couple of pairs of vintage adjustable buttonhole scissors like those in your pic @DiverDan.
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

BrendaP

« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2024, 18:13:31 PM »
:laughing:  :laughing:  :laughing:
The last scissors I bought were from Dunelm, by the tills.....£5 for 2 pairs ( small and large ) I've just cut some embroidery thread and opened a sealed plastic bag with them..... :devil:

Was the thread hanging loosely or did you pull it taut to cut it?  A while ago there were several pairs of scissors on the sales table at craft club.  Sales volunteer tried to convince me they were good and cut at all sorts of things.  I held a length of sewing thread loosely and not one of them would cut it!

I have all sorts of scissors.  The favourite for cutting out fabric are shears from Amazon, followed by Ernest Wright 8" scissors for anything tough.  For unpicking I have a teeny pair of 3.5" scissors from Ernest Wright which have very fine points for getting into individual stitches.

ETA Karen K Buckley scissors are also very good - and I religously keep paper and fabric scissors separate.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2024, 18:15:36 PM by BrendaP »
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

WildAtlanticWay

« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2024, 09:05:00 AM »
I have a few pairs of scissors for sewing inc. two old Fiskars that are brilliant. I also treated myself to a pretty pair from Liberty’s in a box that I haven’t opened yet.🫣  I think we still have my DH’s grandad’s tailoring shears somewhere. He died in the early 60’s so I know the scissors are pretty old.

I also own several pairs of quite expensive Japanese hairdressing scissors as you need different blades and sizes for different techniques. (Took an advanced cutting course at Sassoon Academy in London). I usually post my scissors to a chap in Scotland for a service but I’ll check out the Prosharp site next time they need doing. 👍

Gernella

« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2024, 10:13:27 AM »
After getting a set of cheap scissors with a machine I once bought, which are still in use for anything but cutting fabric, I've treated myself over the years.  Mostly Fiskars with some heavy duty ones beside, plus a decent pair of pinking scissors.   I got some Singer scissors for my 21st birthday, which are still in use but not with fabric.  Using on paper :scream:

The scissors I use for haircutting, I've had since I was around 15/16, a German brand, that are really ready for sharpening again, plus two other pairs that I like using and  were not that expensive but work well.   I did buy some new ones some  time last year but they were too small (my fault) and also 'slow', more for beginners
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Surest1tch

« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2024, 14:03:51 PM »
My shears are Shozaburo, made and purchased direct from Japan a lifetime ago when I was training as a tailor, they were brilliant but sadly are too heavy for me now. I think Kai took them over, I now have a couple of pairs of Kai lightweight which are brilliant, they cut like razor blades and don't make my hands ache with the weight of them, er that's when I get chance to use them of course.

Bill

« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2024, 09:04:46 AM »
I've the same shears from Amazon as @BrendaP  , some pinking shears I bought from the fabric shop down the road which actually work quite well and a few embroidery/stork scissors for chopping threads. Oddly enough, at one time my preferred method of butchering fabric was via a rotary cutter but I find myself leaning towards the scissors these days!
Bernina 570QE (Bernie)     1937 Singer 201k (sally)
The best advice I can give you, is don't take advice from me
Don't follow me, I do stupid things

BrendaP

« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2024, 09:38:58 AM »
Rotary cutters are for using against a ruler, so straight cuts only.  Scissors and shears are for cutting complex or rounded shapes.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Bill

« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2024, 10:31:09 AM »
Dunno about that...
I've cut some rather nice curves with the rotary blades. The biggest problems with rotary cutters are the need for a cutting mat and if the ruler slips, the straight line goes out the window.
Bernina 570QE (Bernie)     1937 Singer 201k (sally)
The best advice I can give you, is don't take advice from me
Don't follow me, I do stupid things

DiverDan

« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2024, 12:38:36 PM »
I also have a couple of pairs of vintage adjustable buttonhole scissors like those in your pic @DiverDan.

I can't find a lot of information on this particular pair, but they are very nice. I won them for a pound on ebay!

coffeeandcake

« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2024, 14:18:55 PM »
Rotary cutters are for using against a ruler, so straight cuts only.  Scissors and shears are for cutting complex or rounded shapes.
I've sewn for a long time, using scissors for cutting out but nowadays I always use a rotary cutter in slippery fabric. I don't find it a problem to cut curves accurately. Notches are always cut outwards so I use small scissors for those.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2024, 17:02:10 PM »
Dunno about that...
I've cut some rather nice curves with the rotary blades. The biggest problems with rotary cutters are the need for a cutting mat and if the ruler slips, the straight line goes out the window.

And that’s why many of us don’t like using rotary cutters for cutting garments.  I'll use it for making bias tape or straight pieces for bags etc.  but I’m not a great fan.  Heard some horror stories. 

Sara-S

« Reply #29 on: March 16, 2024, 14:02:29 PM »
My good shears are Kai & Gingher. The Ginghers go in my travel kits.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2024, 14:57:46 PM by Sara-S »
You can't scare me. I taught high school for 32 years.