The Sewing Place

Quilt too heavy for free motion!

KayK

Quilt too heavy for free motion!
« on: March 18, 2024, 17:18:09 PM »
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]     Drat, darn and all other words necessary.  I have started to make a quilt/wall hanging which has monstera leaves appliquéd on.  All nicely layered, ready to go.  The instructions are to free motion the leaves, and stipple the rest.  Take quilt to machine, and there is NO WAY is it possible to free motion around the leaves!  The quilt is so heavy I can't move it, despite using a slider and virtually no pressure on the foot.  I have made such a terrible job of the first leaf I have had to patiently un-pick the stitching - something I never do!  (and I used to teach free motion!).  Stitching unpicked, damp sprayed and re-ironed to get rid of stitch holes (that worked). 

Do I either take the wadding out, stitch just using the cotton backing and use it as such (the main fabric is a plain linen) or, I can have a lesson on a long arm quilter on a frame, and then hire it to do the rest?

I am unbelievably peeved!

I'll see if I can attach a pic, but for some unknown reason, I sometimes can't!

If it doesn't happen this is it:https://www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/575897871114215656/
« Last Edit: March 18, 2024, 17:22:49 PM by KayK »
I have learnt by my mistakes: Sewing machines now are Bernina 720, Bernina 1008, Bernina 801 from 1981, Brother overlocker, ancient but works well

SewRuthieSews

Re: Quilt too heavy for free motion!
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2024, 18:02:32 PM »
Hiya KayK, not sure what's going on with your pictures.

If I download and try to open your file with the heic extension I get the error message that "The HEVC Video Extension is required to display this file".
Try saving your picture as a .jpg

When I do a 'copy link' from one of my pins in pinterest it is in this format, again a jpg, your link to pinterest is missing the end of the file path.
https://i.pinimg.com/236x/a6/03/0e/a6030edcefeae9e3297e6ef7a84aa884.jpg

Starryfish

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2024, 18:30:50 PM »
I'm just about to embark on my first king size quilt, and I am going to take it up to Bramble Patch in Northamptonshire for layering and quilting. There's no way I can do it myself! I'm in awe of people who can.
A day without sewing is a day wasted.

Iminei

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2024, 18:51:42 PM »
Whats wrong with a walking foot I say ....

If your quilt is humungous you can either ... take it to a longarmer or making sure its supported and not falling off the table use a walking foot.

Why follow 'their' destructions ??? I would outline/inline the Monstera and maybe add some veins! or just diagonally wavy line it (serpentine stitch on max settings)

Is this going to be a used as a quilt or wall hanging??

Is it going to be frequently washed ??

For other members ... Here it is 

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  
« Last Edit: March 18, 2024, 18:57:43 PM by Iminei »
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Lowena

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2024, 20:46:37 PM »
If it is to be a hated by me wallhanging it doesn't need to be densely quilted.
Support the quilt all round and use a walking foot as Iminei says.
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Sara-S

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2024, 10:15:44 AM »
I rarely work very large for want of a way to support the weight.  How would you support something heavy?
You can't scare me. I taught high school for 32 years.

KayK

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2024, 10:31:04 AM »
To make things a little clearer - my mistake - I actually wanted to free motion around the leaves, adding veins etc. and then free motion on the background itself as well.  It was going to be a 'throw' for a yet to be purchased garden/garden room bench/sofa thingy!  I have quilted many items before, without too much trouble using either free motion or a walking foot, but I feel that the linen background is too thick/stiff.  I did do a mini sample beforehand, but stupidly hadn't factored in the size and weight, but the technique of appliqué, free motion etc worked fine (well, it would, wouldn't it!)

There is a lady in a nearby town (her quilt won the overall prize at the big quilt show - Vendulka Battais from Oliven quilting - she is now a qualified judge) who has a long arm quilter on a frame, and she gives lessons on it, and then you can hire it thereafter.  My thoughts were to have a go on this for the free motion/stippling aspect.  I have many friends who have their quilts long armed professionally, but I am far too tight to pay for it!

On the other hand, I could just pull the wadding out of it and free motion from there, leaving just the backing!

One of those things I almost wish I'd never started - wish I'd turned it into cushion covers instead - much more manageable!

@SewRuthieSews - thanks for advice - I think this laptop has almost had its day - it does do some weird things, often only lets you get so far with something, like ordering stuff, has problems with PayPal etc.

Thank you @Iminei for adding the photo!  I tried to put on a photo of my new cats the other day, but that didn't work either!
« Last Edit: March 19, 2024, 10:33:06 AM by KayK »
I have learnt by my mistakes: Sewing machines now are Bernina 720, Bernina 1008, Bernina 801 from 1981, Brother overlocker, ancient but works well