The Sewing Place

Portable sewing kit

Sara-S

Portable sewing kit
« on: April 03, 2024, 12:59:15 PM »
If you travel to classes or workshops, as I do, you need to take some gear, such as shears, nippers, pins, rotary cutter, etc.  But how to keep them together & organized?

This is going to sound a little out there, but my kit is a hard plastic pistol case. (A bit of background- DH is a military veteran, so I have learned all sorts of non-weapon uses for things like pistol cases & ammo boxes)

I like using them because they are sturdy & cheap. Often, they come with the pick-foam, so I can customize for whatever I am carrying.  Here is the one I just set up.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

What are some of you folks using?
You can't scare me. I taught high school for 32 years.

Cazlyn

Re: Portable sewing kit
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2024, 13:02:12 PM »
Great idea.
Crafting is my happy place

Sara-S

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2024, 13:04:40 PM »
Thanks. I should add that when I buy sights for my bows, they usually come packed in these same types of cases.  I also have one that I use for a camera case, which holds a small digital camera, spare battery & charger.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2024, 13:13:33 PM by Sara-S »

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2024, 13:05:04 PM »
Good idea.

coffeeandcake

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2024, 14:12:47 PM »
This is such a good idea @Sara-S. My late father-in-law used to make prototypes for hard-backed cases like this in the 70's/80's and would send some if them over to DH complete with the foam inserts ready for cutting. We have our old SLR cameras in one and DH uses others for specific tools and fishing equipment.

Sewingsue

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2024, 16:05:21 PM »
That looks like a good idea but my first reaction (UK person) was 'a Barbie pink pistol case???'.
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

Lachica

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2024, 18:25:07 PM »
Barbie has a pistol  :scream: I realise The Kens had suction arrows but :faints:
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

Sara-S

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2024, 22:04:39 PM »
That looks like a good idea but my first reaction (UK person) was 'a Barbie pink pistol case???'.

Don’t mess with Barbie. I hear she’s a pretty good shot.

Iminei

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2024, 07:51:30 AM »
Often, they come with the pick-foam, so I can customize for whatever I am carrying.  Here is the one I just set up.

I really like that idea But How did you customise the foam? @Sara-S
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

The Shrinking Sewist

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2024, 08:44:44 AM »
I use a plastic cantilever case for taking to sewing workshops. Everything does get a bit jumbled up though.

For my glass tools, which can be a lot more fragile, I use a camera case, which is the same shape as your gun case. The inside is customisable as the foam is pre-cut into cubes which can be rearranged.
Tina

Sara-S

« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2024, 11:15:55 AM »
@Iminei the case came with pick-foam, with the little perforated squares.  In case you are not familiar with it, it's designed for you to pull out some of the little squares, to make space for the items you want to put in it.

This case came with the pick foam for the bottom. I already had some in the house, which I used for the top.  Since gravity can get so annoying when opening the case, I glued the foam down, after customizing it.
Here's an example;
Video

Sewingsue

« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2024, 11:23:38 AM »
I had never heard of it, but good old Amazon stocks it from several suppliers.
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

Iminei

« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2024, 11:25:57 AM »
Oooohh I never knew the foam was 'perforated; ... thank you for that Sara, you learn something new every day!
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

realale

« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2024, 16:36:09 PM »
That is fascinating @Sara-S! I never knew such stuff existed. Every day is a school day  :P
So many beers, so little time.

Sara-S

« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2024, 22:35:58 PM »
I'm no longer sure, but I think I first saw this pick & pluck foam in a camera case. It's been many years.  It's nice to know I am passing along a bit of knowledge that is new to some of you.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2024, 23:18:05 PM by Sara-S »