The Sewing Place

Or give up

Sewingsue

Or give up
« on: April 03, 2024, 16:25:13 PM »
Experienced knitters of TSP, have any of you realised when 3/4 through knitting something that you made a major mistake early on (size etc) and unravelled most of it and started again?
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

Sheilago

Re: Or give up
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2024, 16:34:35 PM »
Oh dear @Sewingsue , I sympathise. I have several times almost finished baby cardigans and then not liked the colour or the pattern and have ripped them out to knit something new. I have also sometimes knitted the back of a jumper and thinking it’s going to work out too big, have just done a fudge by knitting the front a bit smaller, but the same length . It’s frustrating to rip things out, but no point in knitting something that’s not going to be right.

Acorn

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2024, 17:17:08 PM »
Yes - I converted an old aran jumper pattern so that I could make it on a circular needle.  I was more than two thirds of the way up the body - at the armpits I think - when I realised that the ribbing was lying diagonally.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Sewingsue

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2024, 17:27:19 PM »
It’s frustrating to rip things out, but no point in knitting something that’s not going to be right.
Thank you.

Yes, I know it's daft at my age to think I need permission, but then I have never denied that I am daft  0_0
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

Starryfish

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2024, 17:34:28 PM »
Frequently! Indeed I often take several attempts to get a project started in the first place.
A day without sewing is a day wasted.

Sewingsue

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2024, 17:55:35 PM »
Yes - I converted an old aran jumper pattern so that I could make it on a circular needle.  I was more than two thirds of the way up the body - at the armpits I think - when I realised that the ribbing was lying diagonally.
Oh that must have been frustrating.

Actually several steps beyond frustrating and into very rude words territory.

Cazlyn

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2024, 18:05:47 PM »
I once knitted DH a cabled sweater, completely finished it , sewed it up and it didn’t fit over his head.  I undid it but never finished it.
Crafting is my happy place

HenriettaMaria

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2024, 18:06:42 PM »
I'm currently crocheting a sweater (pics to follow eventually), a shorter version of this.  The back was fine but when I'd got up to the neck level on the front I realised I'd got the foundation row, on which the repeat is slightly different to prevent the bottom edge flaring, wrong and I therefore had too few stitches.  Had to unravel the lot and do it again!  Moral - count stitches regularly  :headbang:

The pattern doesn't help.  The tension is wild.  If I get the stitches and rows down to what they suggest the resultant fabric is rigid, so I went down a size in the pattern and half a size in the hook.  Still fairly firm but usable.  I also think there are typos in the sleeve pattern, so I've gone with my gut and it seems to be working.  Just started second sleeve.

Pearl

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2024, 18:59:04 PM »
Yes.  I’m currently knitting myself an Aran cardigan.  I’ve knitted the back three times :headbang:

Sewingsue

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2024, 19:17:43 PM »
Thank you all.

If people who tackle Aran and Cable can find themselves unravelling then I fell better about having to do it. It isn't just me not being capable.

toileandtrouble

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2024, 19:26:55 PM »
@Cazlyn  I would just undo the shoulder seams, add edgings  with buttonholes and make a feature of the shoulder fastening.
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m

HenriettaMaria

« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2024, 10:09:34 AM »
@toileandtrouble  I had an enormous head for my age when I was little - it's still at the top end of the size range for women now - so my mum learned very early to do that with any crew necks that she knitted me.  I recall asking her to knit a dark brown sweater with the Guinness logo on the front (never drink the stuff but I liked the look) when I was an undergraduate.  She put buttons on the centre back on that too, even though my head was no longer out of proportion to the rest of me!

SingingSinger

« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2024, 10:29:54 AM »
Oh yes, definitely. I'd almost finished sewing up a cardigan for my grand daughter and realised it will be too small, so I'm now unravelling it and starting again!
Mostly a dressmaker with a few other crafts thrown in. Teetering on the Darkside. Owner of vintage machines Singer 201K and Elna Lotus SP (and a Brother Innovis 350SE and Pfaff Ambition 620)

Celia

« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2024, 08:59:51 AM »
Me too

Last jumper for me was completely knitted and then unknitted and re knitted changing one of the colours…..

annierose

« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2024, 22:32:24 PM »
I love crochet, but having done lots of scarves etc. i decided to do a cardi. I did a dry run with cheap yarn, it was a bit big but basically OK, so 18 months ago I got some lovely wool from West Yorkshire Spinners and oh my goodness I have struggled! I simply cannot get the size right and I don't have a clue where I am going wrong! It is taking ages because I have to keep checking it, unravelling etc. I also have to go off and do some simple crochet (shopping bags this time).
I am almost there - I couldn't possibly give up having spent so much on the yarn - and it is a joy to work with. But I am never, ever, making a garment again.
I've just chosen some more yarn from WYS for a holday project - a large pashmina-style shawl.

Thank you all for your experiences - it makes me feel a bit better!