The Sewing Place

New Vogue patterns $7.99 until 7 April

Tamnymore

New Vogue patterns $7.99 until 7 April
« on: April 05, 2024, 21:01:53 PM »
If you look on the main US Simplicity website you will see that the brand new Vogue patterns are $7.99 (about £6.66) each for the next couple of days. This includes pdf versions. They now have A0 as well as A4 on the pdfs. As usual with Vogues it helps if you are young, thin and going to a party - alas I am none of these  :laughing: - but there are some nice patterns. I've indulged in a Rachel Comey and a Marcy Tilton. If one of you would like to invite me to a wedding I'm happy to have a go at the Badgley Mischka pattern.

The only one that isn't on sale is the Diane von Furstenberg wrap dress. Is it just me? I can't for the life of me see what the excitement is with this pattern. And the new Buttericks are now up on the website but they aren't on sale.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2024, 21:03:25 PM by Tamnymore »
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

Bodgeitandscarper

Re: New Vogue patterns $7.99 until 7 April
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2024, 09:12:55 AM »
Thanks, but they are always disappointing these days for me.

Tamnymore

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2024, 20:04:12 PM »
Yes I know what you mean @Bodgeitandscarper though I think the Marcy Tilton top is nice. However, like me, you probably have a zillion Marcy Tilton patterns. I like the Rachel Comey dress as it has  interesting details and is definitely wearable without having a huge neck or flesh displayed or the like . It is the exact same as the actual designer version even down to the fabric so that intrigued me. The fancy party dresses are lovely if you have the occasion and the figure and £6.62 is a bargain for a pattern of that complexity.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2024, 08:51:38 AM »
Oh yes, some really good prices!  Just me being overly picky these days in what I want.

Starryfish

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2024, 22:55:10 PM »
What is it with wrap dresses? There are only suitable for standing around, they fall open the moment one sits down or walk.
Or is it just me?
A day without sewing is a day wasted.

Tamnymore

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2024, 08:06:21 AM »
Completely agree about wrap dresses @Starryfish ..A wrap dress can look nice but you spend your time adjusting it, pulling it tighter so it doesn't fall open and then eventually you find yourself sewing poppers on to stop it gaping. The DVF wrap dress was the only pattern Vogue didn't put in their sale - maybe it's just the DVF name.

toileandtrouble

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2024, 08:26:37 AM »
I'm with you.  Sometimes I am tempted to try one just gor a different 'look' but not practical for my lifestyle.  I don't do much posing.  Housework and cooking yes.  Many styles are not practical for my lifestyle and where I live.  With no car, I walk to the shops and carry things back.  I need a coat that stays closed in a wind, keeps my arms and neck warm and doesn't trail in the shop shelves.  Wrap dresses are out, even slightly fully skirts blow up in the winds we get here.  It's hard walking home with shopping whilst holding ones skirt down.
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m

Surest1tch

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2024, 15:36:47 PM »
I can't say I'm a fan of wrap dresses or tops either, they remind me so much of those old fashioned pinnys housewives used to wear many years ago, I don't know which era but possibly around WW2. Er no I'm not that old   :embarrassed: but I've seen them on TV and in books etc.

Acorn

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2024, 15:39:45 PM »
Hilda Ogden!
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

BrendaP

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2024, 17:17:44 PM »
I can't say I'm a fan of wrap dresses or tops either, they remind me so much of those old fashioned pinnys housewives used to wear many years ago, I don't know which era but possibly around WW2. Er no I'm not that old   :embarrassed: but I've seen them on TV and in books etc.
My Granny and her sister used to wear those pinnies in the 1950s, but probably earlier too.

I'm another who's never managed to make or buy a wrap-over dress that doesn't gape open as soon as you move.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.