The Sewing Place

Fine line marking?

TangledBloke

Fine line marking?
« on: April 10, 2024, 16:01:18 PM »
I need suggestions for drawing as fine a line as possible on fabrics.

For context, I am hand sewing, and my neurological disorders have scuppered my vision and coordination somewhat. As such, I cannot use an iron safely, and can't sew in a reasonably straight line without a drawn line to follow. I can pin and tack stich ok, but then need to put down a drawn line with a ruler or curve template for my proper stitches to follow.

I have a cheap pencil (which is pretty poor) that was part of a sewing kit, and a piece of tailors chalk. I have also used a mechanical pencil with soft lead on some jobs. The chalk and fabric pencil are good enough for cutting out, but I would prefer a finer line for my stitching path.

Are there any rinse/wash out fineliner pens, or something of that ilk, that might serve the purpose? Also, if there are certain fabrics that such items aren't suitable for, feel free to warn me now, so I don't permanently damage something later.

Thanks in advance  :)

SewRuthieSews

Re: Fine line marking?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2024, 16:49:12 PM »
I was going to suggest Pilot Frixion Pens. I've recently started using these and like them a lot.

The line goes away with heat. I normally iron them, but from what you've said that's not going to work for you.
The lines do also rub out with a pencil eraser (the friction of the eraser being used generates just enough local heat to remove the line).
I wonder if a hairdryer would make enough heat? Off to conduct an experiment.

Lachica

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2024, 16:58:50 PM »
I use a water soluble marker pen. They do make a very fine line one as well as the standard nib. A bit of water (or spit) erases the line. HOWEVER on some cotton fabrics ironing makes turns the ink permanent dark grey, so needs to be tried out first. The ink is blue so won't show up on dark fabrics.
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

TangledBloke

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2024, 17:22:02 PM »
I use a water soluble marker pen. They do make a very fine line one as well as the standard nib. A bit of water (or spit) erases the line. HOWEVER on some cotton fabrics ironing makes turns the ink permanent dark grey, so needs to be tried out first. The ink is blue so won't show up on dark fabrics.

Well I most likely won't be ironing them anyway, so if the first run through the washer (or dip in the sink), flushes it away without trace, that sounds perfect! Do you use a specific brand, and do you get them from a haberdashery, or just a regular stationery?

TangledBloke

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2024, 17:26:16 PM »
I was going to suggest Pilot Frixion Pens. I've recently started using these and like them a lot.

The line goes away with heat. I normally iron them, but from what you've said that's not going to work for you.
The lines do also rub out with a pencil eraser (the friction of the eraser being used generates just enough local heat to remove the line).
I wonder if a hairdryer would make enough heat? Off to conduct an experiment.

No, ironing isn't a reliable option for me. However, I have been tempted to try one of those hand held streamer jobbies that you use when clothes are hanging, to see how safe I would be with it. Maybe that would have enough heat to chase it away? I'm not likely to be getting one soon, as too many other things are fighting for my monthly pittance, but it's definitely a consideration for future.

Surest1tch

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2024, 17:27:47 PM »
Well don't tell anyone but as long as it's a washable fabric I have been known to use a fine artists pencil, there's also press off chalk if you have someone living with you who could rub an iron over whatever you've completed.

Lachica

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2024, 17:35:30 PM »
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

Greybird

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2024, 23:02:21 PM »
On lighter coloured fabrics I use Frixion pens - I think a hair dryer might well be hot enough to remove the marks. You need to try it on a spare bit of fabric first though because it sometimes leaves a "shadow" of itself which doesn't disappear.
On darker colours I use a sliver of soap which will sponge off. Not for silky fabrics though, although it doesn't sound as if those are your thing!

TangledBloke

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2024, 00:19:14 AM »
Thanks for your input, everyone.

I have ordered a couple of the Prym water soluble marker pens to try (white and turquoise) along with some refills for their cartridge pencil, to see if they fit in my 0.9mm drafting pencil.

TangledBloke

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2024, 00:32:05 AM »
Not for silky fabrics though, although it doesn't sound as if those are your thing!

I have owned a couple of silk shirts in the past, but I think I'd be too wary of wrecking one these days. It's possible I might want something silky as a lining material for something perhaps, but probably not as a stand alone fabric. I need something more klutz proof, day to day.

I decided to go for water soluble. It takes away a lot of uncertainty. Everything I make will get washed at home, so even if any marks escape the first wash, they'll be going through another wash again anyway.

Ploshkin

« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2024, 08:31:00 AM »
I have one of these
It can be sharpened to a fine point.  Be wary of coloured chalk on the right side of the fabric though.  I still have a yellow mark on a tweed jacket.
Life's too short for ironing.

TangledBloke

« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2024, 14:44:21 PM »
I have one of these
It can be sharpened to a fine point.  Be wary of coloured chalk on the right side of the fabric though.  I still have a yellow mark on a tweed jacket.

If I'm doing backstitch (which is kind of my default setting), the right side is what I need to mark for a stitch line. Or should be. I'm just finishing turning up a couple of pairs of hiking trousers, and like a moron, I ran the backstitch with the leg inside out, so I had the overlapping long stitches on the right side. Out of laziness, I did the same on the second leg so they'd match.  :laughing: I got it right on the next pair though.  :P

So another reason to stick with water soluble pens for the stitch line, I reckon. Oh, and I got notification from the shop that the 0.9mm fabric leads I picked for trying in my drafting pencil are out of stock, and could be 5-6 weeks away, so I've cancelled that item. If these water soluble marker pens work for me, I'll stick to those for the stitch lines, and chalk for cutting out.

StitchinTime

« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2024, 15:22:49 PM »
For long straight sections of stitching, would Quilters Tape be an option?

https://www.woolwarehouse.co.uk/sew-easy-quilters-tape-6mm-x-27m

TangledBloke

« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2024, 15:30:57 PM »
For long straight sections of stitching, would Quilters Tape be an option?

https://www.woolwarehouse.co.uk/sew-easy-quilters-tape-6mm-x-27m

I've never heard of that...  :o Can you stitch through it, and still remove it easily?

StitchinTime

« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2024, 16:09:09 PM »
This blog post shows the stitching to be next to the tape, rather than through the tape.
http://sarahlpayne.blogspot.com/2015/07/quilters-tape-what-do-i-need-it-for.html