The Sewing Place

Fine line marking?

Ouryve

Re: Fine line marking?
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2024, 16:42:34 PM »
Masking tape is a good substitute for sewing alongside.

You won't be disappointed by the water soluble pens. This is the medium tip that I'm using right now. I did the closer together stitching lines yesterday and dabbed the guidelines off with a wet paper towel. I shall do the same with these ones when I have finished this section.
Janome M50QDC - "Jane" - Small, cute and hard working. Pfaff Quilt Ambition 630 - "Pfanny" - Pfickle. Bernina L450 - "Bernie" - Very hungry. Bernina 830 Record - "Becky"

Acorn

« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2024, 17:14:45 PM »
I don't know what I'd do without water soluble pens - I use them for garment making and quilting, and I've often thought that they're one of many reasons why I'd be no good on Sewing Bee!  My items definitely need to be washed by the time I've finished!

I did once draw all over a present I was making for my Mum, only to realise that I hadn't picked up my soluble pen, but a normal felt tip...  :scream: ... astonishingly I managed to wash it out.  I'm still not sure how.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

TangledBloke

« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2024, 17:32:47 PM »
This is the medium tip that I'm using right now. I did the closer together stitching lines yesterday and dabbed the guidelines off with a wet paper towel. I shall do the same with these ones when I have finished this section.

That looks exactly want I need! The turquoise pen I have coming is extra fine, and the white pen is standard width, whatever that means.I think those two should handle all my more immediate needs.

TangledBloke

« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2024, 17:37:28 PM »
I did once draw all over a present I was making for my Mum, only to realise that I hadn't picked up my soluble pen, but a normal felt tip...  :scream: ... astonishingly I managed to wash it out.  I'm still not sure how.

I did wonder about regular kiddies felt tips. The ones that are meant to not ruin their clothing. They still might be unsuitable for some delicate handwash fabrics, but might be ok for stuff that'll just get bunged in the sock muncher with all the other clothes.

Acorn

« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2024, 17:40:23 PM »
That's a good idea - if they wash out when they get onto clothes accidentally they must surely wash out when used deliberately! 

I'm tempted to do some experimentation there  ::thinks:: - if they turn out to be no good I'm sure my goddaughters would be happy to take them off my hands (although I might not tell their mother that they don't actually wash out...  :devil: )
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Deafoldbat

« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2024, 18:59:01 PM »
I did wonder about regular kiddies felt tips. The ones that are meant to not ruin their clothing.

I use the Berol handwriting pens - the ones marked washable- for marking quilting lines, and to date have had no problem with them washing out. The down side is they only come in blue and black. I don't put a hot iron on the marks in case that sets the colour.

TangledBloke

« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2024, 19:47:30 PM »
I use the Berol handwriting pens - the ones marked washable- for marking quilting lines, and to date have had no problem with them washing out. The down side is they only come in blue and black. I don't put a hot iron on the marks in case that sets the colour.

Excellent! Good to know. Thank you.