The Sewing Place

Suggestion box and bugs!

MrIminei

Re: Warning at top of page
« Reply #75 on: March 06, 2017, 08:47:23 AM »
I think we have finally stopped the "2777" script error from appearing randomly at the top of the page. Last time I said this it was back within 5 minutes - but I haven't seen it for about 24hrs now.

Much as I hate to say it .... please tell me if you see it!

Spotted again I'm afraid.

MrIminei

Re: Suggestion box and bugs!
« Reply #76 on: March 06, 2017, 09:03:48 AM »
What are people's thoughts on the gallery? Would you like more categories adding? Perhaps to match the categories in The Emporia?

fajita

« Reply #77 on: March 06, 2017, 09:20:17 AM »
I think a few categories would be useful.
Perhaps clothing, household, patchwork and quilting, toys

Efemera

« Reply #78 on: March 06, 2017, 12:54:15 PM »
It would be useful to be able to edit posts.... I've sold something from my thread and it would be good to add sold in the post.

Iminei

« Reply #79 on: March 06, 2017, 12:56:46 PM »
Effie....
the green box in your post when clicked brings a couple of choices down...one is modify...can you use that?
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Lowena

« Reply #80 on: March 06, 2017, 13:05:55 PM »
Yes, the Green "Action " box ( top right of post, is what I always use  :flower:
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Francesca

« Reply #81 on: March 06, 2017, 14:40:35 PM »
It would be useful to be able to edit posts.... I've sold something from my thread and it would be good to add sold in the post.

Two options.

The green box Actions > Modify will bring up a full editor

The cream coloured box with the yellow pencil in the bottom right near your post will allow you to quick-edit.

UttaRetch

« Reply #82 on: March 06, 2017, 20:11:39 PM »
If it's more trouble than it's worth, just nix it.  :)  Sorry, I'm talking about the location thingy.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2017, 20:13:27 PM by UttaRetch »

ajuga

« Reply #83 on: March 07, 2017, 08:43:28 AM »
My text is still showing under the avatar box. Never seen it beside it.

Lantana

« Reply #84 on: March 09, 2017, 21:49:56 PM »
Firefox did an update today and later when I went to log in on here it was giving me an insecure password warning (not the one I'd chosen but to do with this site.) iE It wasn't a case of me having a weak one. Although it said it wasn't recommended I logged in anyway ... as I have a different password for all the sites I'm on ... but also I needed to to let you know.

https://support.mozilla.org/t5/Protect-your-privacy/Insecure-password-warning-in-Firefox/ta-p/27861

Incidently it was aso teling me the same for 'Stitches Guild Reloaded'

For all I know lots of others as well, haven't tried any others yet. Perhaps Firefox is getting extra vigilent.

Lx

MrIminei

« Reply #85 on: March 09, 2017, 23:00:36 PM »
The whole of the internet is moving towards https. http is "Hyper Text Transfer Protocol" which is the protocol (language) that has been used for web browsing since the world wide web was created. Https is the secure version where your data (including passwords) is encrypted (scrambled). Generally modern web browsers (Chrome, Safari, IE, Edge etc) show a green padlock in the address bar when you are connected to a trusted https site (trusted insofar as their encryption certificate is known to be good). They are now starting to show a warning if the site is not using https, which is what you are seeing Lantana.

You should never enter your card details or any sensitive information into a non trusted site.

For sites like ours and many others the risk is very small. Somebody could tap into our traffic and extract passwords. The CIA or GCHQ could park outside your house and snoop on your Wifi. The risk is greater if you use free and open wifi in public places, because you don't know who else is connected to that wifi network and what they might be snooping on.

My personal opinion is that a sewing forum is unlikely to attract the attention of serious hackers. The trouble we and all forums have is people try to get in so they can use the email server to send spam. That is an age old problem (and why we don't do automatic activation of new accounts)

The best thing you can do on the internet is use strong passwords and (excuse me for shouting) DON'T USE THE SAME PASSWORD ON MULTIPLE SITES!

However, we don't want to put people off when they find us with messages that are worrying, and are therefore looking into moving to https. It requires us to apply for an encryption certificate and once issued we have to apply it to our domain - so it's not something we can just switch on.

In the meantime please don't worry. I'm happily here and not concerned about my security. The Google advice on this issue is here.

Hope that helps

Andy
« Last Edit: March 10, 2017, 07:26:30 AM by MrIminei »

Lantana

« Reply #86 on: March 10, 2017, 14:48:08 PM »
Thankyou for such a full reply Andy. It was very interesting (had never occured to me to wonder what http stood for!) and much appreciated. Anyway I've never used the same password for any site and it was well drilled into me at work to use strong ones. In fact it's a testomony to how pleased I was to find this site that I thought of a password and joined right away .... I've many forums I visit but have never joined because of the bother of thinking of YET ANOTHER password!

No I don't suppose the powers that be would be interested in a sewing forum unless we all started sewing political banners!

L X

Marniesews

« Reply #87 on: March 10, 2017, 15:22:25 PM »
Off on a different suggestion here - probably just for those using a laptop for TSP as it doesn't seem as big a deal on the phone when scrolling is second nature.

It's the spread of messages on the screen, or rather single messages. I have a fairly standard sized screen (15.6") and if I scale it down it goes down in width as well as height so it's not that helpful for text legibility. The amount of white space and gaps between the messages add to this. Is it because this layout is more tailored to the portrait orientation of a phone which I know many people will be using?

I can mostly only see one message at a time and find this significantly reduces the flow of reading through a thread in comparison to the other forums I've been using recently. Quite possibly on those the balance of best fit for phone & laptop is reversed as I always end up turning it to landscape to read. It's not a biggie right now of course but perhaps something that might be considered when all the nuts and bolts issues have been sorted and you're reviewing this type of general improvement option.

I could list all the things I do like here - which wouldn't be difficult at all. Lots of thought and listening to ideas have clearly gone into it already.   :)
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

UttaRetch

« Reply #88 on: March 10, 2017, 18:20:41 PM »
What are people's thoughts on the gallery? Would you like more categories adding? Perhaps to match the categories in The Emporia?

Need we worry about this at this stage?  There isn't an awful lot in there just now and so long as entry is limited to subscribers, I don't see the need.  I don't mind scrolling through all and sundry and will only click on that which interests me.

MrIminei

« Reply #89 on: March 11, 2017, 06:03:04 AM »
Thank UR.

Hmmm, interesting one Marnie. The theme was chosen because of its clarity and look across a range of devices, but as I primarily use a laptop I see your point. Nothing springs to mind that you can do to keep this theme with different scaling - that's one for Fran.

Stichers guild reloaded uses the same forum software as us, but have stuck with the default SMF theme. If you prefer that look you can change by going to your profile / modify profile / look and layout / - our theme is called Reseller, click on change and choose curve.