The Sewing Place

Wool Shops in Scotland/Edinburgh

Sewbee

Wool Shops in Scotland/Edinburgh
« on: November 14, 2017, 12:22:49 PM »
Does anyone know of any yarn shops in the Edinburgh area that sells good quality wool? I am thinking it's time I returned to knitting/crocheting cardigans and tunic-length cardigans (not sure what they are called). Living in Scotland I am realising you need warmth and my American winter clothes are nowhere near warm enough. I do have long down coats and short puffer jackets but I think I still need undergarments that are warm. I have some British countrywear catalogues that have some lovely ones but I can make them myself for a little less! £100-£250 for a lovely cardigan is just a bit much!

I have done more crochet over the years, usually afghan blankets but no garments. I used to knit and crochet clothing years ago, though, and I still remember how! ;)

SkoutSews

Re: Wool Shops in Scotland/Edinburgh
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2017, 13:05:24 PM »
I'm no knitter so can't help you with shop suggestions. I do recognise the need for woolly pullies in the cold weather, though! My go-to website for winter basics is woolovers.com. If you're feeling the cold and can't wait for the knitting to grow, have a look.

Sewbee

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2017, 13:19:21 PM »
I'm no knitter so can't help you with shop suggestions. I do recognise the need for woolly pullies in the cold weather, though! My go-to website for winter basics is woolovers.com. If you're feeling the cold and can't wait for the knitting to grow, have a look.

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! There are so many things there that I love and WILL buy to stay warm - coatigans, cashmere and cotton trousers/leggings, sweaters! This is my answer!!  :D :D :D

Prices are great, too!

b15erk

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2017, 13:32:19 PM »
I've been using Marriner Yarns online.  Excellent Service and good prices.  Knitting needles I love from WoolStack, again online.  Great quality and service.

If you have a branch of the Range nearby, they stock some knitting yarn, same with Dunelm.  I've also had some nice yarn from Poundstretcher.  Not wool though, which I can't wear.  Lots of cheap wool for my toys from B&M too.  Do you  have a market locally?  Maybe they have a wool stall...

Hope this helps. 
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

BlueCat

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2017, 14:07:30 PM »
Haven't bought any wools in Edinburgh for years, but I know McArees in Howe Street used to do a good range...    https://www.mcadirect.com/shop/
This is a new one to me....    http://www.kathysknits.co.uk/
also David Drummonds at Haymarket sells wools...    https://www.daviddrummond.co.uk/
Ginger Twist...    https://www.gingertwiststudios.com/
My Bear Paw....    http://mybearpaw.co.uk/knitting-wool-shop

Tamnymore

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2017, 14:13:36 PM »
Sewbee, I'm not a knitter, alas, but I can tell you all about buying fabric in Edinburgh and I know lots of good places to eat there and I know where all the buses go (well most of 'em) if any of this random information is any use to you!  ;)
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

Sewingsue

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2017, 14:40:37 PM »
David Drummond was originally Drummond's Wools and expanded to sewing machines from knitting machines.
Very knowledgeable staff

- David could sell snow to Inuit.
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

Sewbee

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2017, 14:57:11 PM »
David Drummond was originally Drummond's Wools and expanded to sewing machines from knitting machines.
Very knowledgeable staff

- David could sell snow to Inuit.

David is my dealer - fantastic place! I thoroughly agree about him being able to sell snow to Inuit, though. I didn't realise that when I bought my sewing machine but I am glad I have it anyway and the price was fair. When I bought my overlocker, however, I was prepared and got what I wanted at the price I wanted. ;)

I didn't see many yarns in there but I did see some - forgot about that. I think they are mainly for knitting machines, though.

Sewbee

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2017, 15:05:59 PM »
Sewbee, I'm not a knitter, alas, but I can tell you all about buying fabric in Edinburgh and I know lots of good places to eat there and I know where all the buses go (well most of 'em) if any of this random information is any use to you!  ;)

I may be calling on you, Tammy. I only know of two places to get fabric and have only visited one so far. They all seem to be a bus ride away from each other and I don't have a clue what bus goes where. I also don't know the good places to eat. My base is Princes St and George St and apart from that I'm lost! I know where the Bridges are but have yet to explore. I know the Royal Mile because I had to go to university there in the spring.

Sewbee

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2017, 15:11:14 PM »
Haven't bought any wools in Edinburgh for years, but I know McArees in Howe Street used to do a good range...    https://www.mcadirect.com/shop/
This is a new one to me....    http://www.kathysknits.co.uk/
also David Drummonds at Haymarket sells wools...    https://www.daviddrummond.co.uk/
Ginger Twist...    https://www.gingertwiststudios.com/
My Bear Paw....    http://mybearpaw.co.uk/knitting-wool-shop

Thank you, Bluecat! I will make a note of these and study their websites, too :)

Sewbee

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2017, 15:13:10 PM »
I've been using Marriner Yarns online.  Excellent Service and good prices.  Knitting needles I love from WoolStack, again online.  Great quality and service.

If you have a branch of the Range nearby, they stock some knitting yarn, same with Dunelm.  I've also had some nice yarn from Poundstretcher.  Not wool though, which I can't wear.  Lots of cheap wool for my toys from B&M too.  Do you  have a market locally?  Maybe they have a wool stall...

Hope this helps.

Thanks so much, B15. I will have a look at Martinets and WoolStack. The Range and Dunelm opened here in mid-summer but I didn't realise they sold yarns. I will have a look. :)

Tamnymore

« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2017, 15:17:37 PM »
My two favourite fabric shops  in Edinburgh are Fabric Focus (formerly Mandors) and The Cloth Shop - they are a short walk from each other and a short bus ride from the centre - Number 11 from George Street opposite the statue of James Clerk Maxwell. (who had a parking cone on his head last time I looked) to the end of Pilrig St or 'Bonnington Toll' as it used to be called. The Cloth Shop is on the corner and FF is a short walk along Broughton Road. FF is a super shop in particular and Kevin, the owner, of very helpful. Neither of these two is a 'cheap' shop along the lines of Abakhan but their prices are good and FF, in particular, has some lovely stuff. The St Columba's Hospice Shop in Leith Walk has quite a few vintage sewing patterns at 50p a pop and bits of haberdashery and some fabrics. I always take a look if I'm in the area. There are a couple of shops on the south side and also some p&q places, I believe.

Sewbee

« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2017, 16:02:22 PM »
My two favourite fabric shops  in Edinburgh are Fabric Focus (formerly Mandors) and The Cloth Shop - they are a short walk from each other and a short bus ride from the centre - Number 11 from George Street opposite the statue of James Clerk Maxwell. (who had a parking cone on his head last time I looked) to the end of Pilrig St or 'Bonnington Toll' as it used to be called. The Cloth Shop is on the corner and FF is a short walk along Broughton Road. FF is a super shop in particular and Kevin, the owner, of very helpful. Neither of these two is a 'cheap' shop along the lines of Abakhan but their prices are good and FF, in particular, has some lovely stuff. The St Columba's Hospice Shop in Leith Walk has quite a few vintage sewing patterns at 50p a pop and bits of haberdashery and some fabrics. I always take a look if I'm in the area. There are a couple of shops on the south side and also some p&q places, I believe.

Tammy, I think it was Cloth World I visited. It was the very first fabric store I visited in The UK so I had nothing to compare it with and had nothing to sew in mind. I do remember they had some Liberty cotton, though so I am sure I will be back. I wish I had had the energy to walk up to Fabric Focus at the time but I was exhausted. I had walked from David Drummond's store to almost the end of Princes St and took the bus down to the Cloth Shop but not knowing the area I got off about two stops prematurely - more walking ;). I won't drive in Edinburgh because there's so much more traffic than there was 30 years ago in addition to a multitude of one-way streets, plus I don't know where I'm going most of the time. I am still getting used to walking more! ;)

I just looked at Fabric Focus's website and they have classes! I've been looking for somewhere to take classes for both P&Q and dressmaking and they do both. They also have the most gorgeous collection of Liberty fabrics which I think is for quilting. I'll add the link in the Dark Side threads.

I really do need to visit Fabric Focus - and Cloth World again. Goodness, I need to build a stash! ;) I have none at the moment!
« Last Edit: November 14, 2017, 18:12:52 PM by Sewbee »

Tamnymore

« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2017, 17:39:51 PM »
IMHO you don't need to drive in Edinburgh as the bus service is so good. Fabric Focus and The Cloth Shop  both have Liberty lawn which is I think a bit less than full price but not ultra-cheap. They both have sales after Christmas so it is well worth waiting for those.