The Sewing Place

Finally finished a sweater

Ploshkin

Finally finished a sweater
« on: January 17, 2018, 11:26:58 AM »
I lost momentum on this sweater when I found that I was knitting the second sleeve 2 sizes smaller than the first sleeve!  I think the other thing was that I made a bag to keep my knitting in so it was out of sight, out of mind.  When it is chucked on the end of the sofa I tend to pick it up and do a bit.
This was my experiment in having as few seams as possible to sew up  (I hate sewing up).  I knitted the body in the round (magic loop)  then split at the armholes for the front and back - I cast off the front and back shoulders together which gave a nice, stable join but no seam to sew.  I knitted the sleeves in the round so when I had finished the knitting the only sewing I had to do was sewing in the sleeves.  It worked really well and I may well be doing it again.

The yarn is James C Brett Marble Chunky.  It's acrylic which I would never normally use but it does have a lovely, soft feel.  The style is odd for chunky because it is short and fitted at the waist  with 3/4 sleeves.  I wasn't sure how that would work but I really like it and have worn it several times already.
I'm not really into big, floppy sweaters and don't like crew, cowl or polo  necks - they don't suit me and also I can't bear anything woolly touching my skin.  I have a couple of t shirts with a suitable neckline that I can wear under this without showing.

The yarn goes a long way, It used less than 2 balls and I had bought 3 so I'll have to do a hat or scarf.
Life's too short for ironing.

LeilaMay

Re: Finally finished a sweater
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2018, 12:18:44 PM »
 :wool:
That looks really good - and everything you said about the pattern and the yarn tick my boxes  :)
I have too much half balls (socks) to start anything new right now, but this looks like something I'd like to try some time, right down the the lower neckline.
Did you start with a commercial pattern?

lovely :)

Lowena

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2018, 12:20:31 PM »
Really lovely <3
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2018, 12:36:47 PM »
Lovely colours! And I really like the chunky look.
 I can't wait to get my sewing room sorted and be able to get my knitting machines out - although it'll probably be summer by then and I won't want jumpers.

Kenora

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2018, 23:01:22 PM »
It's beautiful, Ploshkin.  <3

I have exactly the same yarn in almost the same colourway that I'm crocheting a lap blanket out of. It's lovely to work with and incredibly soft too.
Minding my P's & Q's in Portreath

mudcat

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2018, 02:38:52 AM »
The colors  are gorgeous and the sweater looks comfortable.

toileandtrouble

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2018, 11:51:04 AM »
I hate sewing up too and often knit in the round and cast of the ends together like you.  Knitting sleeves with shaping takes a little thinking out but I think it's worth it not to have to sew them up (and only doing knit rows in stocking stitch!).  I did my 'Killing' jumper like that but working from the pattern chart was slow, having to remember which way the row went across the chart. 
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m

Ploshkin

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2018, 14:32:05 PM »
What's a killing jumper? :o
Life's too short for ironing.

toileandtrouble

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2018, 15:12:32 PM »
It's a jumper patterned like the ones the detective wore in the Danish crime series 'The Killing'.  They were popular a while ago, but partly due to the instructions having to be translated from Danish and partly because I used heavier wool than the original, it took me over two years to finish it.  Knitting in the round meant I had all the weight all the time and once I got up to the yoke, I had to take a break!
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m