The Sewing Place

Scissors and Pins

Lolli

Scissors and Pins
« on: April 03, 2018, 12:50:07 PM »
Can anyone recommend some decent little scissors for cutting fabric close to stitches, ones that will cut right at the end of the blades?

Also the best pins for stretch fabrics (lycra mainly) where the pins won't pluck the fabric? I have some Prym ones but I think they're getting blunt and I can't remember the size of them.

UttaRetch

Re: Scissors and Pins
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2018, 12:53:26 PM »
Embroidery scissors.  I don't sew stretch, so can't recommend any pins.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2018, 13:12:25 PM »
I recently discovered ball-point pins, I think mine are Prym, but not sure.  Embroidery scissors might do, but probably won't cut anything very thick, but very nice for cutting thread.

DementedFairy

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2018, 13:27:18 PM »
If your pins are blunt, just bin 'em and get more.  I don't buy any particular type, although I do have a little box of very fine ones for delicate fabrics.
C'est moi!

Lolli

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2018, 13:30:24 PM »
I need the scissors for cutting lycra (two layers) close to stitches, cutting out a V insert on a leotard. Need some that will do a neat job of it.

I'll look into ballpoint pins aswell as very fine ones. What size should fine ones be?

SkoutSews

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2018, 13:49:40 PM »
I have some bridal and lace pins from Jaycotts which are very fine.

Also these scissors have been very useful, even if they were bigger than expected when they arrived! I'd wanted embroidery scissors, but I find these good for trimming as they are sharp and cut cleanly.

DementedFairy

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2018, 13:55:15 PM »
'duck bill' scissors are great for trimming close layers without snipping the wrong bit!
C'est moi!

Ploshkin

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2018, 14:14:09 PM »
I have the Kai scissors that Skoutsews has linked.  They are super sharp right to the tips of the blade and I use them for all my trimming clipping and notching.
Life's too short for ironing.

Nevis5

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2018, 15:52:42 PM »
I use the Kai ones too, have been through several pairs in my time but I think they're the best for snipping right down to the end of the blades.

Lolli

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2018, 15:55:49 PM »
Excellent, thanks everyone as always!

Marniesews

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2018, 16:10:45 PM »
I have some wonderful 4" scissors for clipping (really good for trimming really close to stitching) but they are around £20 - much cheaper than Gingher or Ernest Wright, however. Unusually for small scissors they have serrated blades so slippery fabrics, like lycra, don't have their annoying tendency to slip. I've had them several years, used them a lot and still beautifully sharp. Their name sounds a bit pompous but it's not untrue. Karen Kay Buckley Small Perfect Scissors

As for pins, I've used them all in my quest to find the best ones for lycra:  ballpoint, silk, quilter's, fine, extra fine, glasshead, flowerhead and probably more I've forgotten. The theory of ballpoint is fine but they were some of the worst - the lycra resists them & you have to push too hard to get them through. Ultra-fine pins slip through like butter but will pierce your fingers just as efficiently & bend easily too. Extra-fine pins are a good compromise and I use these most of the time as well as their flower head version.
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

BrendaP

« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2018, 16:37:41 PM »
Duckbill scissors for cutting close to the stitching.  Mine are Klasse and they cut well.

Re pins - buy a good brand, not cheapies from China.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

UttaRetch

« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2018, 17:11:16 PM »
I have these

Swiss made pins.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2018, 18:14:21 PM »
I've just had to order some of those Kai scissors  :o  0_0

Lolli