The Sewing Place

Unpicking overlocked seams

Ploshkin

Unpicking overlocked seams
« on: April 22, 2018, 13:39:30 PM »
I can recall reading some time back the magic formula for unravelling overlocked stitching.  I recall that if you cut the correct threads at the right end of the seam it should all just pull out nicely.  I needed to resew about 6" of a seam this morning because of stripe slippage and it took me ages to cut the stitching out (on loopy textured fabric  :S ).  Every so often a short length of one of the threads would wibble out with a pull but mostly I had to cut out each stitch.
Life's too short for ironing.

datcat23

Re: Unpicking overlocked seams
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2018, 13:51:52 PM »
Here is an overlocker stitch removal technique, that I developed when working with satin baby gowns.  Its not totally trouble free, but its the quickest way I know.

Removing overlocker threads
The barefoot seamstress:  smelling vaguely of lavender and mothballs, and desperately craving chocolate.
2024:  Mending:  2  | Fabric used:  6m | Items made:  2  |  Quilts:      |  Fabric destashed:  25m

WendyW

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2018, 14:21:30 PM »
Thank you, thank you, Datcat! I've been wondering this too. I know how to quickly pull out my 3-thread, but since I upgraded to a 4-thread I've been stymied and frustrated. You just saved me a lot of time.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2018, 15:25:03 PM »
Thanks Datcat - I can never find an easy way either!  I think I may print that out.  :)

Ellabella

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2018, 17:55:15 PM »
@datcat23 I am almost tempted to go and rip out some overlocking just to see this working.

Thanks.

Alikat

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2018, 18:01:30 PM »
I find that if your overlocking is the correct tension you can just break a thread in the lines of straight stitching and pull the straight threads out, then the looper threads just come off the edge.

Ploshkin

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2018, 18:38:04 PM »
@datcat23 thank you.  I have an inkling it might have been you who put this on the old forum.  Actually, I wasn't too far off except I cut through the looper threads above the top stitching line rather than between.  I think it was always going to be awkward because of the loopy reverse side of the fabric but I only had a short bit to do.
Life's too short for ironing.

Alikat

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2018, 19:17:01 PM »
Yes I think I probably did put this on the old forum.  I have only just found this one, having really missed being able to chat about sewing!

datcat23

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2018, 23:27:04 PM »
@datcat23 thank you.  I have an inkling it might have been you who put this on the old forum. 

No problem.  I created that PDF back in 2014, so I wouldn't be surprised if I uploaded to the old forum. 

I understand the concept of sliding out the straight stitching, but since I sew with a lot of knits, I find that the straight stitched tend to "sink" a bit into the fabric, and therefore, are the wrong tension to slide out.  When I made that tute, I was removing overlocking from tiny little baby burial gowns (made from donated wedding dresses) so the fabric tended to be fragile and temperamental. 
The barefoot seamstress:  smelling vaguely of lavender and mothballs, and desperately craving chocolate.
2024:  Mending:  2  | Fabric used:  6m | Items made:  2  |  Quilts:      |  Fabric destashed:  25m

Sandra

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2018, 08:33:38 AM »
I'm the same as Alikat.

Usually fairly easy to remove the one...or two.. lines of the straight stitching, and the other just comes off the edge in an enormous long length.

But, yes...can be trickier with knits if the stitches have buried in.

The problem is when you pull the wrong thread and you pull up and tighten the looper thread  :S That's what makes overlocking nasty to unpick.

Sandra.
xxx