The Sewing Place

Quilting Project - the final stages

datcat23

Quilting Project - the final stages
« on: April 29, 2018, 08:15:07 AM »
Quite a while ago, I asked for some advice, specifically on backing/edging/joining a set of embroidered blocks that I had picked up on a destash website.  These pieces were beautiful, but had a sad back story. 

Quilting project - starting out

A lot of the suggestions were for a vintage type fabric to join these blocks.  The original quilt design had the blocks edged with a bottle green peeper, and then sashed with a bright yellow/gold fabric.  Let me tell you now, those two colours together?   :x  I seriously do not like either.  I was following the destash site, looking for an alternative, when a seller put up a beautiful antique rose fabric, in muted shades of beige/pink/blue; suitably vintage style.  I thought it was great, but asked her advice just to be sure.  She said it was lovely, but then suggested that instead of vintage, I should go modern. 

Backing fabric by Dani, on Flickr

This fabric has all the colours I love, and just pops.  I am loving the contrast with the muted, but intricate embroidery.  She was having a sale, and I picked up 5 metres, enough for the backing, plus a couple of cushions.

I then embroidered the straight lines on the centre panel (the only embroidery the previous owner hadn't completed).  My big girl was not impressed, and went a bit dodgy in places, but it got done. 

Progress - Sad Quilt. by Dani, on Flickr

The backing only shows 1/2in strip on the front, but the colours just seem to pop!

Sad Quilt - close up by Dani, on Flickr

The barefoot seamstress:  smelling vaguely of lavender and mothballs, and desperately craving chocolate.
2024:  Mending:  2  | Fabric used:  6m | Items made:  2  |  Quilts:      |  Fabric destashed:  25m

datcat23

Re: Quilting Project - the final stages
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2018, 08:19:21 AM »
I followed the same method used for the sashing/joins, on the edge binding.  Originally I was going to bind in a solid colour, but felt that would over-complicate the design.  I haven't attached a label yet, but I will probably break my own rules and handsew that in place later.

She is all finished now, and ready to be a useful item in our household.  I am trying to decide if she will be a big couch quilt, or perhaps on the spare bed. 

Bittersweet - completed by Dani, April 2018.

Embroidered Quilt - finished by Dani, on Flickr
The barefoot seamstress:  smelling vaguely of lavender and mothballs, and desperately craving chocolate.
2024:  Mending:  2  | Fabric used:  6m | Items made:  2  |  Quilts:      |  Fabric destashed:  25m

Iminei

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2018, 08:28:18 AM »
Bravo!
Beautiful!!
Bellissimo!!!

The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

fajita

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2018, 08:36:55 AM »
You've done a good job, and made a lovely choice with your fabric.  :)

Ellabella

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2018, 09:58:39 AM »
That is absolutely gorgeous :toast:

Ploshkin

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2018, 10:00:25 AM »
You've nailed it there Dani, it's beautiful and so lovely that you have brought the original pieces back to life.
Life's too short for ironing.

Lowena

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2018, 10:03:56 AM »
What a lovely quilt Dani, the new fabric was exactly what was needed. I's gorgeous  <3
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Acorn

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2018, 12:23:51 PM »
That is really lovely - every bit of it.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Pearl

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2018, 14:54:35 PM »
Beautiful, @datcat23 .   :loveit:

supergran

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2018, 19:59:12 PM »
It's beautiful Datcat. That fabric is perfect for it.

Kenora

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2018, 01:19:30 AM »
What a wonderful piece of work - you've really done justice to those beautiful panels, and the backing/sashing/joining fabric only enhances the whole. <3
Minding my P's & Q's in Portreath

Efemera

« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2018, 08:09:03 AM »
It’s lovely...