The Sewing Place

Pattern Instructions....

b15erk

Pattern Instructions....
« on: May 02, 2018, 09:15:27 AM »
Is it just me, or does anyone else have trouble interpreting pattern instructions?  I'm talking the big 4 here really.  Sometimes I have struggled so much, that I have just abandoned them, and done my own thing.

On occasion I have determined to follow the instructions, only for the methods to be so convoluted as to be impossible to follow.  Case in point is the Mermaid costume I'm making.  The instructions seem to me to make the job more difficult than it initially seemed, but, never having made a Mermaid before, and with the strange structure of the skirt, I have been using the instructions - a lot!

Does anyone else have trouble?  It seems my eyes just glaze over as I'm reading....  :S

Today I am boning a Mermaid body, and hopefully attaching a fin, wish me luck....

Jessie

Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

UttaRetch

Re: Pattern Instructions....
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2018, 11:14:58 AM »
A good many pattern instructions could do with a 'walk through' and are certainly far from 'step by step'.  I have muddled through, but on occasions have had to throw myself on the mercy of my sewing teacher.

DementedFairy

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2018, 11:21:40 AM »
I've rarely had trouble with Big 4 patterns, but plenty with smaller companies.  The toughest Vogue patterns I've followed have been the ones that defy all obvious logic, and are origami-ed together.  The worst two were an Issey Miyake top, and a dress which I think was Karen Millen?  It's still in a bag lol
C'est moi!

Tamnymore

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2018, 11:43:38 AM »
I don't have much of a problem with the big 4 although I've never made a mermaid costume! I don't know if anyone has tried the 'Bold and Beutiful' book. Fabulous patterns but terrible Instructions. Supposed to be easy but a beginner would struggle.

I'm just sewing my first Stylearc and the instructions are minimal and there is a little error - just the wrong number on a pattern piece but might throw a beginner. I do find the odd error in big 4 though  ranging from instructions to attach the wrong piece to a Vogue coat where the lining could not possibly be big enough and I had to cut out extra triangles to accommodate a pleat - that reminds me I should tell them about it.
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

Ravingdoll

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2018, 12:10:48 PM »
I generally don’t have any problems with the instructions for the big 4 or any of the indies (the ones I use) but I do struggle to read them in advance.  If I do read first I always think I haven’t got a clue what they’re talking about but once I have it in front of me it all makes sense.  If an instruction does appear a little longwinded I say it out loud and it seems to make more sense.  Good luck with the HP one though Jessie!! 

Bloobell

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2018, 12:31:58 PM »
Burda's fly front zip installation instructions on a trouser pattern I used for a client were gobbledeegook. I'm going to be charitable and blame it on the translation..

Holly Berry

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2018, 12:50:23 PM »
I really only buy Vogue, Butterick and McCalls, because they suit my style, well the new ones seem to be rehashes of older designs :devil: and I can do that myself, and I know what alterations to make for fit.

However that last vintage I made was a bit of a struggle at times, but I’m guessing they were from the original 1948.

The beginners sewing group I help out at tend to buy the less demanding indie patterns, or use ones that come free in magazines, but I find their instructions leave a lot to be desired.
Procrastination get behind me

Gernella

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2018, 15:34:35 PM »
Sometimes, but I think I'm quite good in general at blindly following them. I don't follow instructions for most things. If I can think in my head how to put them together than I don't bother. But I agree for some things with lots of unknown details you have to put them together with the instructions!

I've just availed myself of the printing service you suggested for the Waffle Tosti pattern.  I've done a quick look through of what needs doing - yes I've done that and that, and that etc., but when it comes to it I bet I will be either deviating or scratching my head.  I remember seeing one thing that didn't look right the way it was detailed, either that or I've missed a bit.

Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2018, 15:57:11 PM »
The beginners sewing group I help out at tend to buy the less demanding indie patterns, or use ones that come free in magazines, but I find their instructions leave a lot to be desired.

Oh I'm with you all the way on that!  Big chunks of instructions missing, no bust point marked, no finished width given.  And I had to deal with one recently that had no notches or matching points!  I quietly scream to myself when someone says 'Ive just bought this pattern off the internet'.  Even those independent ones I thought should be ok often turn out to be absolute nightmares. 
Having said that, I have seen a McCalls pattern with no instructions for putting in the sleeve.   My student queried it, got an apology and a new instruction sheet.....exactly the same as the the first one.  :angry:   And a Simplicity pattern with the most awful instructions for a waistband.

Surest1tch

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2018, 18:51:21 PM »
I'm not sure if I'm ashamed to admit it or not  -< but I don't read them any more.  I've always thought they instruct in a long winded complicated way.

Holly Berry

« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2018, 19:18:36 PM »
The best piece of pattern advice I got was from here. That was, that pattern pieces are numbered in the order of the instructions. Never realised that, even after 40 years of sewing.

Makes more sense when reading the instructions and I now always put them in numerical order and work through them.
Procrastination get behind me

HenriettaMaria

« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2018, 20:09:52 PM »
I generally don't have trouble but for one pattern I made a couple of years ago.  They were men's tailored trousers.  The fact that the fabric had a tiny check/weave in it probably didn't help but the two-piece welt pockets were a blinking nightmare.  If I make them again I'm doing them my own way!  Then it was one of those things with a whole bunch of pieces of fabric to make the inner face of the waistband.  Utterly baffling.  I gave up in the end and, again, did it my way.  It worked and he still wears them, although I think the fit across the seat could have been better - they look a bit American, if you know what I mean.

Gernella

« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2018, 12:02:41 PM »
The best piece of pattern advice I got was from here. That was, that pattern pieces are numbered in the order of the instructions. Never realised that, even after 40 years of sewing.

Makes more sense when reading the instructions and I now always put them in numerical order and work through them.

I saw that and thought what a good idea and try and stick to it but occasionally I can't help myself when I think I know better. :fish:
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

lakaribane

« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2018, 17:34:22 PM »
I usually only read the directions if it's something I don't sew often or there is a special detail in the garment that I need to understand how to put together specifically.

Otherwise, I do my own thing.

That said, IMO, Big4 are a bit too cut+paste at this point, except for the licensed Designer patterns from Vogue, for example.

I find that Style Arc has the most terse instructions, a sewing order. I've never sewn Colette or Tilly or By Hand London, all those brands that they laud for their extensive instructions. What depth of directives does a dirndl skirt need, anyway? Especially, non-fitting ones???  ><

I also suspect/hope Burda suffers from non-seamstress translations. Despite sewing with them for years, sometimes, the words don't make sense.

The booklet for the Nina Lee Kew Dress I bought recently has no indications regarding seam finishes, now that I think of it.

Another helpful tip when sewing with Burda is that the little numbers at the corners of the patterns reflect sewing order/instructions. So just start with 1. Do note that Burda is of the zipper-last traditional school of sewing.

UttaRetch

« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2018, 19:39:27 PM »
I think seam finishing is basic and newbies really should know about overlocking as the very least that is applicable for most fabrics - I discount sheers and lightweights, where a different seam finish would be better.