The Sewing Place

What to do with an unfinished quilt?

rowe1311

What to do with an unfinished quilt?
« on: May 10, 2018, 20:27:21 PM »
My aunt sent me a package full of lots of sewing goodies, and in it was a half finished quilt she picked up in a charity shop.  She has had poor health recently and trying to declutter and realised she would never get round to making this quilt up and so passed it onto me. 

Tonight I laid it out on the bed, most of the squares have been completed, and I don't know what to do with it.  It is dusky pinks, which are really pretty, but not really my style.  Some of the squares I like and others I am not too keen on.  To put it all together would be too big a task for something I wouldn't love at the end of it, nor do I have the skill for a large quilt.  What else I could do with the squares, other than make 20 cushions! 

I wished I had taken a picture while it was out.  I might try laying it out again just to get a picture.   

BrendaP

Re: What to do with an unfinished quilt?
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2018, 22:08:29 PM »
Make a couple of smaller quilts and donate them to Project Linus.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2018, 23:31:06 PM »
I inherited something similar from my Mom. She had picked them up somewhere, some antiques/junk shop. I bundled them up with some similar fabric I had and donated them to a group that makes charity quilts for Senior shut ins. They were happy, I was happy and the effort the original quilter put into it lived on.
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

Iminei

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2018, 08:05:08 AM »
Pics please ... unless you want to join in with the Project Linus challenge ...
Pics are banned until the vote at the end of July.
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

wrenkins

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2018, 08:14:22 AM »
You could put it together for the "quilt-as-you-go" on darkside and see how you feel about it then. If you still don't like it, you could donate it to someone who likes dusky pink. (ME!)  0_0 or a charity auction or failing that a charity shop or nursing home. It seems a shame not to use it.
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

rowe1311

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2018, 17:03:46 PM »
I think I have laid it out on the bed as it should be.  I didn't have a big enough clear floor space to photograph it from, so the bed was the best I could do.  Some are labelled so I tried to work out the pattern from there.  I also tried to piece together the remaining diamonds, and the one with squares.   Some have been unpicked and some of the triangles seem fractionally bigger than others, so I could imagine my efforts at finishing the remaining squares might not work out as well and distort the whole thing. 

Project Linus sounds like a good idea, but I am not sure if the colour scheme would work for a small child.  Any thoughts? 

BrendaP

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2018, 17:15:44 PM »
Two quilts each 3 blocks x 3 blocks would work, and just don't use one of the blocks.

I see what you mean about the colours, but if you used bright red or maybe bright green for the sashing it would lift it a bit, and besides not everyone wants modern colours for a baby's quilt.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

maliw

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2018, 19:52:17 PM »
A couple of lap quilts and donate to an old people's home?
At leisure on the leisure penninsula

wrenkins

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2018, 08:15:59 AM »
I love those colours  :loveit: and they would go beautifully in my little cosy Winter bedroom. I don't know how you would jazz it up for Linus. Maybe a deep raspberry or something to brighten it up a little. I'm thinking old folks rather than young though. It could be so lovely.
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Iminei

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2018, 09:10:33 AM »
Two quilts of 3 x 3 plus sashing with that lonesome leftover block on the back of one of them.

I think you could do something gorgeous with those and don't worry if some of the triangle blocks are a lil larger...
Iron all blocks to within an inch of their life, Measure all blocks, Square down to the smallest size. Sash with darker, lighter whatever and quilt on the diagonal.

rowe1311

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2018, 19:36:14 PM »
Thank you for your advice, and lap quilts sounds like a good one.  They are small enough to manage and so will help me learn how to quilt.  I am not sure when I will start.  The weather is too nice at the moment and so the garden is calling me. 

Iminei

« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2018, 07:23:24 AM »

The weather is too nice at the moment and so the garden is calling me.

Aaaand this is what I hope to be up to later today!