The Sewing Place

To contrast or not to contrast?

datcat23

To contrast or not to contrast?
« on: May 13, 2018, 01:05:37 AM »
I have cut out the jacket from Ottobre 5/2014 ..... the colour blocked one with the raglan sleeves.  In hindsight maybe the quilted one would have been a better choice, but I prefer raglan sleeves.

The recommended fabric was wool jersey, but I am using black cotton fleece.  This is thicker, and doesn't have as much stretch, so I have had to add some width.

So to the questions.

Because of the thickness of the fleece, I am thinking that I should use an alternative fabric for where the designs has layers; so the collar (maybe just the inner collar, black fleece on the outer) and the pockets.  Should I use a woven or a stable knit?

And ..... if I use a colour, should I also do some contrast stitching along the princess and sleeve seams. 

Ideas welcome ..... ta
The barefoot seamstress:  smelling vaguely of lavender and mothballs, and desperately craving chocolate.
2024:  Mending:  2  | Fabric used:  6m | Items made:  2  |  Quilts:      |  Fabric destashed:  25m

Efemera

Re: To contrast or not to contrast?
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2018, 09:11:29 AM »
I’d use a woven... a bit of Liberty style print?.. have you a coverstitch? Reverse coverstitch would look good in a colour to match the print.

BrendaP

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2018, 09:34:50 AM »
Yes, use a contrast, all black might be a bit drab, and a woven fabric for the undercollar will give it stability.

As Efemeral says a reverse coverstitch would look good on the seams (or maybe a herringbone type embroidery stitch if you don't have a coverstitcher)  Add a contrast zip to match.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Surest1tch

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2018, 10:48:02 AM »
I would use the contrast, black is very harsh when used alone.