The Sewing Place

My brother says I look like a liquorice allsort

Ravingdoll

My brother says I look like a liquorice allsort
« on: May 13, 2018, 21:43:56 PM »
But I don’t really care :D. No danger of me ever having an oversized ego in this family! 

Anyhow this is the pinafore from the Tilly stretch book.  I have really overcome my knits phobia now I think.  It’s made from a lovely cosy ponte which was a dream to work with.  I didn’t make any alterations, size wise it is fine but next time I will make it a bit longer and self line the bodice.  The way Tilly has you do it has caused a bit of bulk with about four overlocker seams (although she does not assume use of an overlocker to be fair, but a sewing machine and trimming). 

Anyway I love it!  It is what it is meant to be, a fun easy weekend morning dress (or midweek if I am on rest days) to have a white hot chocolate at Mangos on the Quay, meeting friends etc.  And if I look like a liquorice allsort - well at least I’m sweet!!

Lachica

Re: My brother says I look like a liquorice allsort
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2018, 22:29:20 PM »
I saw the thread title and linked it with the shower gel incident, a mental image of those round pink bobbly sweets.....urgh, not good.
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

Ravingdoll

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2018, 22:34:20 PM »
Oh dear @Lachica  sorry to have traumatised you!   Fortunately the shower gel, bang to head and dress are not connected!   Although my brother might disagree on the ‘bang to head’ and ‘dress’ connection!     

b15erk

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2018, 10:11:48 AM »
I love this RD!  Liquorice Allsorts are my favourite sweetie anyway, so I assume he meant you look good enough to eat!

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Gernella

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2018, 10:33:01 AM »
I like it although I would look a beggar in it.  I've done a couple of stripe tops recently and really like them, especially when I can use colours I wouldn't normally wear.
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2018, 11:10:29 AM »
I saw the thread title and linked it with the shower gel incident, a mental image of those round pink bobbly sweets.....urgh, not good.

Hahaha, that's so funny!  0_0  Sorry, Dolly!!

maliw

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2018, 11:27:27 AM »
So what does your brother know about fashion and style? If you like it and feel good wearing it then thats all that matters.  ;)
At leisure on the leisure penninsula

Marniesews

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2018, 16:44:58 PM »
… a mental image of those round pink bobbly sweets.....urgh, not good.

I'm relieved to see that wasn't the particular allsort variety you were channelling, I used to love those ones as a child until I was given what I thought was one but turned out to be a laxative for children!  :x :devil:
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

Surest1tch

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2018, 07:59:16 AM »
Bah, what do men know.  Actually that sounds like something my brother would come out with, anyhow I think it looks great

Efemera

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2018, 08:35:08 AM »
I do like a stripe...though I don’t like liquorice all sorts...those blue bobbly ones bring me out in a cold sweat :S

Nevis5

« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2018, 09:00:02 AM »
Liquorice?  Yuck!  but the stripy pinafore looks great!  and fun to wear!

Holly Berry

« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2018, 09:41:53 AM »
Take no notice, I’ve found brothers are put on this earth to be a pain in the a**e. I’ve told mine that whilst I love him, it doesn’t mean that I have to like him  :devil:

Love your dress and liquorice all sorts.
Procrastination get behind me

wrenkins

« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2018, 09:45:01 AM »
I once came upon my brother wearing a brown fleece. Where/why would you even buy one? I told him he looked like Friar Tuck with hair! Well he did!!!!  0_0
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Bowerbird

« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2018, 09:59:52 AM »
and what's wrong with liquorice allsorts?

Love the pinafore too  :D

Surest1tch

« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2018, 22:37:45 PM »
Bit of an update here if it helps your confidence with it.  I was at the hairdressers yesterday, one of the stylists was wearing what looked like quite an expensive pair of trousers in what looked like the same fabric and looked absolutely fabulous in them