The Sewing Place

Wanted - janome atelier 5 or similar sewing machine

annieg

Wanted - janome atelier 5 or similar sewing machine
« on: July 16, 2018, 18:50:09 PM »
I have the opportunity to buy an ex-demo atelier 5 from a dealer but before I go ahead I wondered if any TSP member has thinks machine or similar they want to sell?
What I am looking for is long arm (8.5 inches) or thereabouts right hand side of needle space, auto thread cutter, qui,ting machine but not necessarily with lots of bells and whistles as I am a beginner quilter.
I'm open to Pfaff, janome, juki. etc etc.
Would love Bernina but am sure I couldn't afford that 0_0
Would probably be able to arrange courier collection if that helps.annieg

Morgan

Re: Wanted - janome atelier 5 or similar sewing machine
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2018, 22:17:17 PM »
A friend has had an Atelier 5 for 3 years and is still delighted with the machine.  She uses it mostly for dressmaking but does the occasional craft and household sewing project.

It comes with a quilting kit that includes an extension table, feet etc.  Just one point to think about is that the machine does not have accufeed (dual transport) built in so you'd use the even feed foot (walking foot) when needed.  Dual transport is not essential, but can be useful for patchwork and quilting techniques.

If you can stretch to it, it may be worth considering the Atelier 7 which does have dual transport, or a similar machine.

Whichever models you are considering (even second hand) then at this higher level of the middle band of computerised sewing machine, please, please test drive first.  Some makes feel more intuitive under the fingers that others and if you're going to invest in a machine like this, it has to feel right under your fingers. 

Iminei

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2018, 08:57:26 AM »
I upgraded quickly through my 5 years of quilting from
the old secondhand in '91 Toyota that I made my waistcoats with back in the day,
to a Janome 525Sewist,
to a SMD 4000 (which is a branded for Sewing Machine Direct Janome 4100)
to The Splurge, an Atelier 5, which I adored and had for around 3 years
and only upgraded to The Splurgess, An Atelier 7, because I was made an offer too good to refuse!

The Toyota I gave to a neighbour, the 525S I sold, as I did the 4000 and The Splurge was given awaysold to Fran for a very good price for her.

I had initial reservations about The Splurgess as it sounded very industrial with the auto foot lift but soon got used to it and it is excellent, but my absolute favourite has to be The Splurge, as we made so many excellent things together.
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

annieg

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2018, 09:08:10 AM »
Imi

I'm really swaying towards the Splurgess ....could I ask you a favour please - can you measure the length of the base and to end?
Thanks  :D
Anniegg