The Sewing Place

Need help

Stitches

Need help
« on: July 17, 2018, 06:51:22 AM »
My DD would like a quilt as she calls it an old worldly one , not sure what is a old worldly one .I have just started doing a bit more patchwork as I have enough clothes to last for a lifetime. Is it best to get pre cut squares or a jelly roll please help

Pearl

Re: Need help
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2018, 07:12:48 AM »
Before deciding to use pre-cut squares (charm packs or layer cakes) or jelly rolls, you need to choose a pattern.  If you google 'quilts using pre-cuts' there are lots of ideas.  When you have chosen your pattern, we'll be delighted to offer any help or advice we can.

(I had written a longer version of this, but I wasn't logged-in so it disappeared.)

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2018, 07:39:28 AM »
I'm betting old wordly means old fashioned or traditional quilt, as opposed to a Modern quilt. So lots of small prints rather than solids and gray. If I was doing a traditional quilt, depending on the pattern, I might actually use both charm pack and jelly roll.

Take a look at Irish Chain and pinwheel quilts. The first works well with a jelly roll & background fabric and the second works well with a charm pack.

Mostly get your DD to go to a quilt shop with you or look online. Pinterest is always a good source.
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

Iminei

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2018, 08:35:07 AM »
Get your daughter to make a 'mood board' ... ie pics of the quilts/ patterns she likes, colours she favours ... you'll soon get the idea of what floats her boat and can go from there.

Are you nearish to the NEC?

The biggest exhibition of quilts ... in the world (said ala Jeremy Clarkson) is going to be held there in 3 (Gulp  :S) weeks time (Other quilt exhibitions are available) and could be a big day out for you and daughter ..... if you want the best rate of tickets visit this thread
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

BrendaP

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2018, 09:10:59 AM »
Jelly rolls, layer cakes and charm packs are ways of buying small quantities of a lot of different fabrics, but they are very restricting in the sizes/shapes that can be cut from them.

My guess is that by an "old worldly" quilt she means hexagons!  Easier to do by hand than by machine but
m-u-c-h slower.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

wrenkins

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2018, 09:29:38 AM »
Craftsy clearance
This is just the kit page of the clearances but there are some nice ideas here to start with. The materials are provided with the kit (obvs) and they can work out very reasonable even including P&P. You can make your quilt bigger by supplementing with their pre-cut ranges too.
I know these things because I'm giving big looks to the 'Pick Up Sticks Petal Noir' one but it's quite small.  :ninja:
pre-cuts to match 21 fat quarters to match for £29 & odds. Oh Yes!!!
Gotta go. I've things to look at on Craftsy do.
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Stitches

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2018, 09:35:56 AM »
@Iminei she wants wine and blue as the main colours not botherd what other colours
I have only done a jellyroll quilt top and played with using squares. so no idea where to start.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2018, 02:07:02 AM by Iminei »

Lowena

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2018, 09:59:55 AM »
I doubt, with pre cuts, you'll have enough of any one ( or two ) colour to count as "main colours". You usually get a real mixture of colours, shades,patterns which work together. If I were you, I'd choose a pattern .... something straightforward like "square in a box", "windmills", "couthouse steps" "friendship star" all of which are traditional patterns as requested. Then choose your wine and blue fabrics, then a couple of complementary colours ( grey, cream, ) or contrasting colours ( depending on the blues you choose ) and off you go  :)
Triumph of hope over experience :D

BrendaP

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2018, 12:57:23 PM »
Keep it simple with just squares and rectangles.  Windmills and any type of star will include triangles which mean you have to deal with stretchy bias edges.

Square in a Box (Lowena's avatar), railfence, courthouse steps and log cabin are all just rectangles and have lots of possibilities.  Google any of those names followed by 'quilt' and you'll get dozens of ideas.

Assuming you are going for 2" or 2.5" cut widths, which is a fairly average sort of size, I reckon that for every square metre of quilt you will need about two square metres of fabric - so a pre-cut pack won't go that far!  Decide on your colours, remembering that the contrast between the lights and the darks is more important than the actual hue, and get a selection of fat quarters.

Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Stitches

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2018, 09:29:16 AM »
This is the quilt my DD loves .It looks like its done in rows is that right ?
« Last Edit: July 19, 2018, 09:34:03 AM by Stitches »

Stitches

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2018, 09:34:45 AM »
These are the colours she wants

Ploshkin

« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2018, 09:36:19 AM »
Yes, it is rectangles joined into strips and the strips sewn together.  No seams to match  :) as the blocks are set like brickwork.

Are those fabrics in your picture the actual ones you have got for the job?
Life's too short for ironing.

Lowena

« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2018, 09:39:00 AM »
Oh, that looks quite straightforward. Yes, a quilt like that is usually done in rows. However you can ( if it's squares and not rectangles ) make 3x3 squares and then join the 9 patches together, the choice is yours. Remember all seams are 1/4" and if you join in rows, sew one row from one end and the next from t'other as that prevents puckering. Good luck  <3
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Stitches

« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2018, 09:45:05 AM »
@Ploshkin no the fabric picture is just the colours she likes.  have not got any fabric yet need to go to shopping

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2018, 09:53:29 AM »
That will be very straight forward for you. Pattern is called Staggered Bricks...obvious, right?  >< Also seen it as Brick Wall.

Found a great free tutorial for you! It's sized for various kids sizes. If Daughter wants it larger we can help you figure out the changes if you need help.
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.