The Sewing Place

Colette Laurel or Style Arc Twiggy

Nicola1968

Colette Laurel or Style Arc Twiggy
« on: July 17, 2018, 13:39:42 PM »
I've found some lovely silk jersey that is relatively affordable but can't make up my mind whether to a do a Laurel or a Twiggy.

Both are TNT, the Laurel is a very quick win (I can make that up in less than a day) but the Twiggy is also great.  Twiggy will take longer to make but take less fabric.

Should I do both?  0_0

Yes, I know I should use my stash but its all woven and not silk jersey!

Nik

Nicola1968

Re: Colette Laurel or Style Arc Twiggy
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2018, 14:15:05 PM »
I love the Laurel and I had a pattern for trousers that needed absolutely no adjustment. I have loads of seam work patterns too. Seamwork made me realise that, often, if you can run it up in an hour or so, it’s because it’s shapeless and unflattering

Ravingdoll

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2018, 14:20:49 PM »
I get on fine with Colette, I'd even go so far as to say my best successes with minimum adjustments have been with their patterns, I guess they must cater more for my body shape.  Never made the laurel though, although I seem to recall seeing a photo of it on you Nic on another forum or was it pattern review?  Anyway it looked good.  Luckily there are enough pattern companies out there to cater for all of our tastes.  In my case, too many!   

Make both!!

Ravingdoll

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2018, 14:28:28 PM »
I have similar with assumptions that a big bust must mean big shoulders.  And in my case they really don’t.  Fran - in every photo I’ve seen of you you look to be a lovely well proportioned girl - don’t call yourself fat when you are such a good role model for the larger sizes.   

PS: yes I take your point about Colette practices.  Must admit I haven’t bought from them now for a while, although still use the ones I have.  I am more of a Gertie Fan Girl these days anyhow!   
« Last Edit: July 17, 2018, 14:30:01 PM by Ravingdoll »

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2018, 14:31:30 PM »
@Nicola1968 where have you found silk jersey at a reasonable price?   I've not found it easy to find anywhere here.

Ravingdoll

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2018, 14:47:23 PM »
I guess I deal with a lot of teenage girls where the word ‘fat’ totally breaks their heart and souls and therefore is negative rather than descriptive.  I shall signpost some of them to the link.  Anyway back on topic ..... !! 

Nicola1968

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2018, 16:07:05 PM »
I don't see fat as an insult personally just a descriptive term. There is a really interesting podcast about it here: https://www.thisamericanlife.org/589/tell-me-im-fat

I see fat as a word just like brunette or tall. It doesn't bother me. It's a descriptor of my body and I'm OK with it. I prefer not to dance around with words like "curvy" and such.

I'm exactly the same.  I'm fat, its simply a descriptor, one that I decided to own.  I have no emotional connection with it whatsoever.  I loathe curvy.  Curvy implies, boobs and a waist and I have neither of those things :D

I also ran a marathon this year - which is more important, me being fat or me running a marathon?

Nik xx

Nicola1968

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2018, 16:09:32 PM »
@Nicola1968 where have you found silk jersey at a reasonable price?   I've not found it easy to find anywhere here.

Oh, fiddle, I didn't forsee that question!  It pains me to tell you that I saw it on the Stone Fabric website.  It pains me because I can't afford to buy it until at least next week.

There are several colours, a royal blue, a navy and a shocking pink.  Of course, I want the shocking pink (and maybe a bit of the royal)

The price is £19.95 a metre which I thought was relatively reasonable.  I sew too slowly to use cheap fabrics, if I'm going to spend my time making something its going to last and a cheap fabric won't.

Nik

dolcevita

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2018, 20:26:09 PM »
I spotted that silk jersey a while ago but I've managed to resist temptation so far.  No willpower involved, it's just been too hot for a silk jersey top!  I made one back in the spring just before the weather warmed up and haven't been able to wear it as it's so warm.

Nicola1968

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2018, 20:35:15 PM »
I spotted that silk jersey a while ago but I've managed to resist temptation so far.  No willpower involved, it's just been too hot for a silk jersey top!  I made one back in the spring just before the weather warmed up and haven't been able to wear it as it's so warm.

Oh you've put me off now, I was hoping for something loose and cool out of it.  Its described as lightweight!

P.S.  @dolcevita we're moving back to Dorset hopefully in the next 6 months :D

dolcevita

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2018, 20:40:22 PM »
It may be okay, then.  Stone Fabrics will send out samples, so it would be worth requesting one before committing to the full purchase.  My stuff came from a different source a few years back and it is quite thick.

Back to where your heart wants to be, eh, Nik?  We'll be moving to the north of the county around then, if all goes to plan.