The Sewing Place

Softening linen with enzymes

dolcevita

Softening linen with enzymes
« on: July 22, 2018, 21:31:36 PM »
I have a few lengths of linen in my stash that I've put off using because it has that stiffness typical of new linen.  I want to make a shirt, but want it to have a softer feel, so I've been doing a bit of kitchen chemistry research recently, to see how I can get the result I want.

1st attempt - coca cola.  Half a can, into the powder drawer.  Works a treat on denim, but had no effect on the linen.

I went off to do a bit more research at this point as I know that it's the phosphoric acid in cola that softens things, so obviously bears no resemblance to whatever they use in the industrial softening process.  It's cellulose and some pectin, mainly the former, that's responsible for the stiffness of linen and the enzymes that munch these are cellulase and pectinase, respectively. 

Pectinase is easy to get hold of from any home brewing supplier, so I bought a couple of small tubs of these and put my fabric back into the wash with a tub of pectinase.  It went onto a 40C wash with a soak and when done, it wasn't that much different.  The surface of the fabric was a bit rougher, but the stiffness wasn't that much different.

I then ordered some cellulase off ebay.  The suppliers were either in Denmark (expensive) or China (not so expensive) and so I ordered 2 x 50g of the enzyme from the Chinese supplier.  It arrived in just over 2 weeks, so not too long a wait.

This afternoon, I put the linen back into the machine, onto a hot wash (70C) with a soak and 50g of cellulase in the drum with the fabric.  In this hot weather, my 3m of fabric has dried pretty quickly and I'm delighted to report that it's a lot softer and more supple.  It doesn't look like it's had seven bells knocked out of it, but it's much more pliable and I'm really pleased with the result.

For a softer finish, I don't know yet whether that would require a longer wash or soak or more enzyme.  I'm confident from the information available that 70C is a good temperature for the reaction, so I can experiment with the other variables another time.  For now, I now have 3m of soft fuchsia pink linen that's perfect for a new shirt.

My final comment is the reason I was spurred on to try this: the cost of enzyme washed linen fabric.  Typically around the £20 per metre mark.  The enzyme cost £8 for 100g (free P&p) and I can't remember the cost of the linen now, but I believe it was around £7 per metre.  I used 50g of enzyme, so my softened linen comes out at about £10.30 per metre versus £20.  A worthwhile experiment.

Lachica

Re: Softening linen with enzymes
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2018, 22:33:24 PM »
Very interesting. Enzymes generally work best at around body temperature so it's quite surprising to read that cellulase has a recommended optimal reaction at 70C, but good to know such things are available as I have some quite stiff linen in my stash too.
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

Surest1tch

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2018, 22:57:19 PM »
Did you loose much to shrinkage at that temperature?

dolcevita

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2018, 23:11:32 PM »
Did you loose much to shrinkage at that temperature?

I'm afraid that I have no idea.  As I had 3m of the stuff, possibly a bit more, I figured that even with shrinkage it would be more than enough for anything I wanted to make, so didn't measure it faithfully.

arrow

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2018, 00:38:06 AM »
I wonder if the sorting of the linen fibers can have anything to do with it. I once had a greyish unbleached linen, hand made and it had a natural luster even when it wasn't mangled. The maker recommended 30C wool cycle wash, or hand wash, wool type detergent. It was soft too. I'm not sure how it was made, but they insisted it was the made by the gentlest and the least processed flax fibers. The natural luster would quickly be lost if it was washed more harshly, but would still be fine. Some linen qualities are very rough and durable, others are much more delicate.

Does it say what the enzyme does the fibers? Enzymes tend to break down fats, proteins, etc., and I think cellulase is used in detergents to get micro cellulose friss off cotton fibers; to keep deep colors looking new and fresher. Would a prolong treatmetn affect the strength and durability of the fabric? I'm just thinking out loud, and I couldn't find much info on it.

b15erk

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2018, 10:22:57 AM »
I've got a piece that I haven't used for this reason.  I may have to try this enzyme trick.  I don't want to make something only to have the skirt stick out like a marquee!

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

wrenkins

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2018, 10:58:15 AM »
My shirt dress
I quite fancy the fourth one down on the right.  :loveit:
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

b15erk

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2018, 11:02:41 AM »
 :D :D :D

The linen I have feels like cardboard as it is! 

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Acorn

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2018, 11:07:20 AM »
I suppose a paper dressing gown would be nice and absorbent.  Once, anyway!
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.