The Sewing Place

StyleArc - discount of 25% at the moment

SewRuthieSews

StyleArc - discount of 25% at the moment
« on: July 27, 2018, 07:04:15 AM »
I see that StyleArc have a discount of 25% at the moment so I need to get on and order the patterns I have been drooling over but not actually buying.

Yay

DementedFairy

Re: StyleArc - discount of 25% at the moment
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2018, 12:17:47 PM »
NOT BUYING MORE STYLE ARC!  NOOOOOO still got three or four that I haven't made up yet!
C'est moi!

Pearl

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2018, 12:47:46 PM »
NOT BUYING MORE STYLE ARC!

Of course you're not, @DementedFairy .   ;)

Tamnymore

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2018, 18:23:55 PM »
Stye arc are having a Boxing Day sale and it's  30% off in their sale using code BOXING30OFF - makes a  standard single size pdf pattern just over a fiver and of course there is always a freebie pattern too. Even with the pound having dropped somewhat of late it's still good value - and we can never have too many Style Arc patterns can we?  :devil:
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

Acorn

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2018, 18:47:51 PM »
... we can never have too many Style Arc patterns can we?  :devil:

I'm working on it, but it seems not!
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

sewmuchmore

Re: StyleArc - boxing day discount
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2018, 17:53:55 PM »
Still works today
It's not easy being this perfekt

Janet

Sewingsue

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2018, 18:55:08 PM »
and we can never have too many Style Arc patterns can we?  :devil:
I grew up in the days of the big company patterns and have never ventured beyond them. Can I ask please why are Style Arc so popular with so many of you?
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

Acorn

« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2018, 19:03:17 PM »
Personally I find that they are generally well-drafted and fit better than the big companies' patterns, they are very easy to tweak, they are more wearable (for my style), and I vastly prefer pdf patterns so that I can have them on proper paper rather than tissue, which I hate with a passion.

It was finding a Style Arc pattern on Amazon that brought me back to dressmaking after a few years of doing very little.

Tamnymore

« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2018, 20:11:40 PM »
I have to confess that, although I have only, as yet, made up the Parker coat, I have managed to purchase a few patterns which are beckoning me (once I finish making a coat for DD's dear dog or should I say DDDD)and I have definitely been spurred on by the inspiration of folks here especially @DementedFairy  (Happy Christmas DF how have you been keeping?)

The Parker coat went together like a dream and is simply but beautifully drafted. I was surprised how good it looks with absolutely no adjustments (must post a pic on the diary thread). It fits really well so I am expecting great things of my other SA purchases. I have to say that not all SA patterns are for me and I do like Vogue patterns and the Tilton Sister asymmetric/art teacher look as well but Style Arc do have a certain appeal and at a fiver a pop in the sale for an instant pdf they are a temptation that need not be resisted.

It's also good that they do a very wide size range for all their garments- up to size 30 or so which would be a UK 32. So no Mrs Frumpy in the plus sizes and I like that approach as well.

Sewingsue

« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2018, 20:36:00 PM »

It's also good that they do a very wide size range for all their garments- up to size 30 or so which would be a UK 32. So no Mrs Frumpy in the plus sizes and I like that approach as well.

So they are not UK sizing?
I had a look at the site but couldn't see any size advice.
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

Acorn

« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2018, 20:43:33 PM »
They're an Australian site, so Australian sizing.  If you look at any specific pattern on their website, and click on 'Fabric Estimate and Measurements' on the left hand side you will find size charts in inches and cm, and actual garment measurements as well (in greater or lesser detail depending on the age of the pattern!)
« Last Edit: December 27, 2018, 21:14:12 PM by Acorn »

Tamnymore

« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2018, 20:58:55 PM »
@Sewingsue their sizes seem to me to be about one size different to the UK but you can see what you think. Their size 20 is the same as a UK 22. When you buy a single size pdf they also send you the sizes above and below the size you ordered which is really useful.

SkoutSews

« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2018, 22:09:52 PM »
I'm going to have a look at stylearc again with the incentive of the discount. My attempt at the Daisy tunic was a disaster, partly due to fabric choice, but mainly because of sizing. This has scared me off.

@Tamnymore, when you compare SA 20 with UK 22, are you referring to RTW UK sizes or pattern sizes? My size 16 stylearc top ended up huge  :( and I usually make an 18 to 20 'hybrid' pattern size, with an FBA.

Tamnymore

« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2018, 09:04:49 AM »
According to Stylearc size charts my normal 22 that I cut in Vogue pattens equates to their size 20 but you should also check the amount of ease in an individual pattern. The 30% sale ends on New Year Eve which is presumably Oz time so that will mean 30th Dec for the UK.

DementedFairy

« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2018, 09:52:40 AM »
Helllooooooo!
Did I hear my name?  lol

I got the discount email, and quickly deleted it as I have too many patterns already waiting to be made up!
Style Arc size charts [in cm and inches] are on a link at the bottom of their site pages. 
They do their single size PDFS and the ones where you get your chosen size and one each side of it [ample for most purpose]
They are printed on heavy paper, if you don't go the PDF route
I find the sizes very good, and tend to opt for 16 for stretch fabrics, 18 for woven, as they are a bit narrow on the shoulders for my broad frame.
I've only ever had one PDF file come out incorrectly sized, still no idea why, but I had to take the one skirt in many inches.  Only one of gazillions though!
They have some really excellent styles with interesting details, and I think my collection is probably now neck and neck with my Vogues...that Nina cardigan looks great with my art teacher dresses [V9254 coming up on the blog any time now]

C'est moi!